Marchesa - what do you think?

spottie said:
I bought a Marchesa dress from nm.com and returned it. It was Scarlett's dress in a dark salmony pink and subtle gold print. I found the fabric quality was poor. The dress also ran very, very small ( I wear a 2-4 in contemporary clothing and probably would have needed an 8.) It was "Made in Korea" and I will *NOT* pay those prices for that! ( Yes, I know you *can* get quality from the third world -- I am just not willing to pay those kinds of prices for it.) I will be surprised if this line lasts for long, unless many changes are implemented.

no sense paying top dollar for cheap labor (not talking quality here), right, but the bigger rip off is the dollar to style ratio you paid.
korea is not a third world economy any more, maybe 40 years ago (doubtful you are you a miss havisham-type if that very sex-concious style you picked suits you, so let's be up-to-date). unless of course the dress came from north korea, but i don't see how, unless it was smuggled through china. perhaps that explains the cost. if they add an "illegal" angle to their designs, that might compensate for the other areas where they are so sub-standard.

I don't know, some dress is quite pretty but not wow-ing me...kind of like, average pretty-ness.

And...is Korea THIRD-WORLD....? Unless you are talking about North Korea, and not even China, is "3rd World" anymore(or I can well be wrong on this...)

Btw, who is Dolly P.?

Last edited by a moderator:
^Personally I have problem with the phrase 'third world'...

I think the collection was very dated, including the presentation. Imagine if it wasn't worn by well-known, up-to-date models, it would be insignificant

Mamba said:
Well the label has nothing to do with what the design looks like, it's more about where it gets it's inspiration from. I found it very American, like I stated previously. Very Dolly P., Texas, country, overglammed. Very kitchy and less elegant! Hope it helps!:wink:

Zazie said:
Heh...I was going to post that article. I hate this look, and yes, unfortunately, it has become synonymous with "American", sort of meaning the kind of fashion worn by young socialites/debutants that hasn't evolved since the..hmm...1950s?

I agree with the american thing and the socialite thing, but to me it seemed more LA/Cali, sort of up town ethnic. Trying incredibly hard (what with the pulled fits and forced draping) to look easy and effortlessly elegant. I like some of the simpler dresses, but the rest seems incredibly forced and borders on tacky. Although, there was a pic of Nicole Ritchie (sp?) in a marchesa dress which I though was quite nice.

HQ's of the Marchesa dress Mischa wore to the BAFTA's I believe?

hollywoodsbest

not an easy dress to pull off, that's all i can say

They look like they are very much still 'finding' themselves; I think they do their best work with exotic patterns and oragami-style folds :flower:

Another Marchesa creation:

Attachments

• marchesa.jpg
    marchesa.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 12
I have a new found love for Marchesa. The latest collection is amazing. I tried searching for their webpage but couldnt find one. Does anyone know if they have one?

I like some of it. Cate Blanchetts dress is nice, as is the one worn by Misca barton-

and i love the one on Scarlett johansen

Rene Zellweggar looks like crap in that red dress- and the one on Diane kruger (sp?) is just like WTF:blink:

masquerade said:
not really cohesive or original, but i dont think they are trying to be. its all very pretty hollywood red carpet stuff.
firstview
These two are ok...the other stuff is very tacky
And i agree with the "very American", I would even say very Californian (I'm Californian) because it's very commercialized and too much Hollywood glamour stuff. BTW, Ralph Lauren is American in a good way...this brand... not so much

Last edited by a moderator:
BaroqueRockstar said:
BTW, Ralph Lauren is American in a good way...this brand... not so much

I've never liked Ralph lauren. To me his clothes have always looked middle aged and frumpy

the dresses are pretty, saw the dutchess of york in one of their dresses at cannes and she looked amazing

mischa barton's dress is really beautiful!
you gotta have one hell of a hot bod to pull that one off that's for sure..
that dress is one of the marchesas not so typical american I think..
although the rest of them do lean over towards the dolly p lookin style

I think I'm going against the majority by saying this, but I thought (with the exception of a handful) most of the dresses were beautiful and interesting. Maybe its because I live outside of America that I don't see them as being very 'typical'. The crane print dress and the silver dress Mischa wore were both gorgeous, the black dress that opened the show... I see these as elegant :flower: I don't understand the dislike people have for Marchesa?

spottie said:
I bought a Marchesa dress from nm.com and returned it. It was Scarlett's dress in a dark salmony pink and subtle gold print. I found the fabric quality was poor. The dress also ran very, very small ( I wear a 2-4 in contemporary clothing and probably would have needed an 8.) It was "Made in Korea" and I will *NOT* pay those prices for that! ( Yes, I know you *can* get quality from the third world -- I am just not willing to pay those kinds of prices for it.) I will be surprised if this line lasts for long, unless many changes are implemented.

Its funny how you mention this ... some of them seem like made out of drapes (a la Scarlett O'Hara)... :innocent:

It would be better if they would stick to one-of-a-kind, like those for celebrities. IMO, their runway collections are much to speak of...

Am I wrong for finding this dress gorgeous :unsure:

00128.L.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudaZuza2005
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->