Mark Fast (London, UK)

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Mark Fast (London, UK)

http://www.dazeddigital.com/rise/designer.aspx?a=196

196-mark_fast.jpg
New designer Mark Fast's dark sense of humour is clearly expressed through his work. Hoping to one day design costumes for a Tim Burton film, his knitwear shapes the body like a second skin. Paying homage to female corsetry and house flies of the Elizabethan period, he creates a pseudo body armour with a distinct S&M undertone. Combine, his influences create a youthful elegance, saluting teenage goths everywhere. With such a strong sense of identity coming out of a Knitwear BA It will be very interesting to see where Mark takes his vision next on his MA.
25 year old Mark Fast was born and raised in Canada but decided to pack up and leave for creative exploration in London. He has been studying at Saint Martin's for the last three years and is currently doing a Masters in knitwear at Saint Martin's. http://www.myspace.com/knittingneedle

How long have you been designing?

My whole life

Where are you based?

In East London around Dalston.

What is your nationality?

Canadian

How old are you?

How would you describe your designs?

Pseudo-metallic knitted body armour.

What inspires you? What was your inspiration for your last collection?

I like making fun of the bad things that happen to us and finding humour amongst these dark things. My collection was inspired by electrecuted house flies from the Elizabethan period. These flies were only used to being swatted from their era, but as they morphed into the 21st century, believing they were out of harms way, they unexpectantly get electrecuted by the electric blue zapper!

What was the last thing you saw that really inspired you?

A painting by Francis Bacon.

What have you been doing since you finished at the Central Saint Martins?

Relaxing in Canada in the forests and exploring the lakes with my canoe.

Are you designing a new collection?

Yes, my fall 2007 collection.

How would you describe your style?

Gothic elegance.

Are you involved in any outside projects in other fields?

Fashion is taking up all my time these days but would love to work with costume in the theatre or movies.

Who are your favourite designersand why?

It's the designers who create innovative garments from unusual techniques that I appreciate.

What are your plans for the future?

Doing my masters at St Martins and designing costumes with Tim Burton.

Photographs by Ben Toms

wow i really like where this is going:D
it's brilliant the way that he finds it amusing , all of the issues of life ,but what better way is there to depict the humor in this ,but in fashion:innocent:
-kudos

Wow, I find lots of new designers coming out of London these days. But he just reminds me of Christopher Kane from those pictures but with a bondage feel to them.

I also find interesting that Canadian designers have to go to London esp. to get recognition. To be really honest, the Canadian industry is really just sh*t. Pardon my language. Which is really sad. If you watch FashionTelevision or In Fashion they profile new designers, i.e. - two girls that quit fashion school to be in Vancouver Fashion Week....they flat out sucked really bad and they thought everything they made was really "hot". Also, everything else that has been created except maybe Pink Tartan is so homely feeling and crafty I don't even find any interest in supporting it.

so jealous I could not agree with your post more.

It feels very christopher kane to me but with knitwear. Not surprising though since they are both out of CSM and prob. studied around the same time. It's interesting to see someone do this with knitwear though and more progressive to me in that sense.

I wonder where in Canada he is from? I totally agree on the state of the cdn fashion industry and even Jeannie Beker can't save it. Pink Tartan is terrible and has no intl. appeal

I'd like to see better pictures and more of his work ... I think the colours are appealing, but I am not sure if I like the design.

Meg said:
I wonder where in Canada he is from? I totally agree on the state of the cdn fashion industry and even Jeannie Beker can't save it. Pink Tartan is terrible and has no intl. appeal

It would be pretty funny if he was from some small nowheresville hick town.

True, Jeannie Beker sure did try as well as Tim Blanks to save the industry but apparently, in the newspaper today I read that FashionFile is cancelled. I guess no one could replace him. And yes, Pink Tartan is terrible - they tried to incorporate and play with actual tartan patterns and it turned out boring....like everything else Toronto Fashion Week has to offer.

:rofl:yes!!

Though I'm SO sad to see fashion file cancelled. Though tim blanks is obviously english I always sort of felt him a wee bit cdn because of fashion file (even though i dont think it's a cdn program, it's just always on cbc). It will be interesting to see how the industry moves forward since obviously talented designers are leaving most likely due to the lack of support both education wise (Ryerson is good but has little international clout) and funding.

OMG!!
i cant believe i found this thread!
MARK FAST is the hottest thing for SS09
each of his pieces is only produced 5 times and each store is only allowed 1 of each style hence a maximum of 5 stockists worldwide
i saw it on the hanger ... of course no hanger appeal.
saw it on, fell in love and had to have it!

(browns)

Mark_Fast.jpg

meg,what you said about this looking a bit chris kane-ish,i must agree. i prefer the knit and weaving-work of slobodan mihajlovic....it's much more interesting and poetic,imo. and sexy in a subversive manner...not that versace spirit.

but if you guys wanna talk brilliant canadians....jean pierre braganza....nicolas andreas....not a bad start :wink:

what i love about this is that the way the dresses have been produced is incredible!
they literally look like some hosiery when they are not worn and so delicate but when the model tried them on, she pulled around until she got into the dress and the holes are very sturdy.
he is actually being pushed by another brilliant canadian designer being David Szeto, who is helping with the production process. i must say it is David who triggered my interest in Mark by the way he was talking about him :unsure:

i want one of those dresses they are amazing i wonder where can you get them

He's a real fashion force IMO, he's knitwear is just so amazing. One to watch for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->