Richard Nicoll

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
anyone know anything about this young london based designer?...

thanks in advance...:flower:

blank.gif
blank.gif
Richard Nicoll
blank.gif
blank.gif
The Central Saint Martins graduate made his debut on-schedule with a feminine, if not conventionally girlie, collection. Models with swinging high ponytails strode down the catwalk in quirky creations with something of a warped western feel to them. With voluminous shapes, clever drapes and definitely a sense of humour, this is a man destined for big things
blank.gif
blank.gif
http://www.handbag.com/galleries/gallery/catwalk_shows/london_feb_2006/fashion_richardnicholl/
f.w 06

Attachments

• rn3.jpg
    rn3.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
i found his website...
the problem was the spelling...:P

http://www.richardnicoll.com/

i will be anticipating this show during london Fashion week:D
s/s 07

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 2
i love richard nicoll! he is fastly on the rise in my book. you certainly are not alone in your anticipation...

I'm adding to the praise; very good collections :heart: The vibe from these clothes is very relaxed (as opposed to try-hard which I think is the sin of new London-based designers) and fresh ... I like how he makes the fabric work. I would love to see these in a store. All the collections follow strictly one theme it seems and do not mix and match. For some odd reason the way he drapes the dresses makes me think of Yohji Yamamoto.

He is available at Browns. honestly maybe it's just the items they choose to carry but i don't find it that impressive. Some of his stuff is great, it's all quite basic actually with interesting pleating or what have you, and reasonably priced but it's not something that has ever made me go Wow. Maybe leyla's store carries him?

the spring collection is very BANANARAMA....:innocent:...

almost to the point of being funny/ironic...
i can't tell if he is being serious or if he is in on the joke...
:unsure:....

of course in french...

my snaps from Vogue Paris feb.2007 (inclued into a 3p. about YBD...YoungBritishDesigner...)

Two items up for sale from f/w at Browns right now.

Skirt £145 reduced from £290
80275_1.jpg

and

Shirtdress for £205 from £410
80277_1.jpg

i think those are lovely pieces.

you know,he's also really good friends with Charles Anastase. so that might explain his quirkiness....hence the Bananarama collection this season.

i think the most distinct part of his work is his shirting.

the skirt IS nice, and it's well priced but i cant' help but be a bit bored by it.

His SS07 collection was G R O S S!...overhyped.....uninspiring....

I have a piece by Richard Nicoll for Topshop.

It is amazing, the fabric is fine, light and flowing, just perfect to wear in the summer heat, and the design & cut is perfect. But despite it being a size too big for me, and probably designed with a taller woman in mind, it is still easily one of my favourite purchases in a while.

he did topshop?..
already?..
man- that was fast ...pretty good for someone who is only on his 3rd (i think) collection!...
sort of makes sense though....

a lot of this looks like it is geared towards a younger, trendier girl...
it's not exactly 'grown up' clothing....

still...it's fun!...:lol:..
certainly more fun at topshop prices!...

:wink:

Yes, only a few months ago although.

There aren't any pictures of the collection anywhere now, as it was such a low-key collaboration - minimal hype, little PR, unknown designer. The ones that were on Topshop's website, Topshop have taken all down.

But from what I recall, part of the collection was a dark blue-grey "dinner" shirt (as they called it). Perfectly cut, slight hint of babydoll from the bust down with pleats and button down on the chest, but its strong cut undoubtly gave it a masculine feel. Another was a long white shirt, again the masculine vibe ran through. The dress I purchased was perhaps a modified version of the first shirt, although in grey and a sheerer material.

What I liked about the collection was that it was very structure concious, with a hint of masculinity. Unlike the rest of "normal" Topshop, it was conspicuously better cut and more shapely, edging closer to the structure of real luxury designer wear, rather than just a mass of cloth that falls. I came close to buying the first & the second shirt, but I literally could not as I was so overstrung that month. (Oh how I regret it now!)

Anyway, here's a link to his autumn/winter 04-05 collection softgrey:

http://www.vogue.co.uk/shows/photos/Default.aspx?ShowID=1461

Not bad for his runway debut! (I think)

just a few little facts about him... well he studied at saint martins as we all know and then did freelance work for various big names including louis vuitton... he had been doing a couple of collections before he started showing on schedule but due to lack of funds .. couldnt really show during london fashion week. he's had a lot of interest primarily in his shirts and blouses and thats whats really allowed him to make his name. and to top it all off... he is simply one of the nicest guys around.. if not a little shy at times

I really love him
It has a really great quirky arty feeling and I like how awkard some of it looks

I'm kind of schizo about him.

Some of his pieces are just eclectic-electric-phantastic but others just give me an urge to cringe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loquillinben
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->