Mary J Blige Doesn't Like "Rude" Christina Aguilera

christina aguilera has a great voice. deep and rich and soulful and strong.

she just can't sing worth a sh*t.

the problem is that all these new R&B singers have grown up listening to great singers, but not learning how to sing the same way that these other women did.

christina cites Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston as her main idols. so, she listens to them, and because they use their falsetto and runs, vibratto, etc. often, christina grows up thinking that all those tricks translate into soul. but both whitney and aretha learned how to sing when they were kids by growing up in a church surrounded by other incredible singers. they both learned HOW and WHEN to use those tricks.

when christina/beyonce/ashanti/etc etc etc try to do it, it just sounds overwrought and stupid. no style. just trying to hit every note on the register in 5 seconds. really tasteless, IMO. whitney and aretha would be ashamed.

and that reaction on justin's face was NOT when christina lifted her veil, it was when madonna kissed britney. . . that's why christina was bitching . . because they cut her/madge's kiss to show justin's expression. mary's expression is of the madonna/britney kiss

happycanadian said:
and that reaction on justin's face was NOT when christina lifted her veil, it was when madonna kissed britney. . . that's why christina was bitching . . because they cut her/madge's kiss to show justin's expression. mary's expression is of the madonna/britney kiss
The clip is from 2003, btw.

OMG, I'm going to have to dig out that old clip tonight and have a look. I thought it was a moment of television history - very cute and fun. There were close-ups of Mary, Justin and Avril L, as I recall - all showing various degrees of (amusing and predictable) discomfort. And at the kiss, Justin's jaw was tight, that much I remember. This shot was probably right after the kiss, when Xtina and Madonna kissed and Justin realized he had to react appropriately for the cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:
happycanadian said:
when christina/beyonce/ashanti/etc etc etc try to do it, it just sounds overwrought and stupid. no style. just trying to hit every note on the register in 5 seconds. really tasteless, IMO. whitney and aretha would be ashamed.

You are absolutly right. she has a great voice. but she cannot sing with it. She should take singing lessons for 2 years and then record a new album. It would be fantastic, it would sell more copies than her last one.

OMG she should stop this awful "Vibratto" like UUuuuuaaaawuhhauuuu" on Stripped.:sick:

But the new pop singers are always in a hurry to publish a new cd. It is not about the music& talent anymore, but about the money... :angry:

the saddest example i've ever heard is a duet between christina and bryan mcknight. . .they sing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and they are both soooooooo atrocious it's nauseating.

at one point, bryan mcknight literally turns a 3-letter, monosyllable word - "bow" - into about 25 notes in 6 seconds.

actually, i have to post it --- you really have to hear for yourself.

this is the most overwrought style of singing ever. and such a shame cause they both have incredible voices.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T0DLFZ6P

Urban Stylin said:
i thot i was the only one that say ms. mary j's pained expression. but i dont think its classy for people to predict other's careers

I don't really think it's crass to do it. It's more like an opportunity to get slapped in the face by the future.

To me, Christina is a better singer than Britney, but i agree with Mary J's comments. It's not just about the talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ariez said:
I dont know what to think but Mary J. sure doesn't hold back anything. She was being honored at the VIBE awards and during her acceptance speech and she complained about how the photographer chose a horrible picture of her to put on the cover of VIBE magazine. Thats kind of rude considering these people were giving her a life-time achievement award(or something along the lines of that)

Yeah, I heard that Mary is a rude person. I also remember seeing her on Much Music a while back and she acted like she was too good to be there.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's going to be remembering Madonna+Brit+Xtina's MTV awards performance for some time to come. It was hilarious how ppl praised Christina's singing - which was beyond awful - and I do remember Mary J Blige's look of torture when Xtina was singing for all she was worth. I agree with Mary JB - Britney is the one with the rythm in her blood (even though she needs to let go of her musical inhibitions) - Xtina is the one who will die trying.

Ha Ha! This whole discussion has not aged well. Britney has stopped "singing" or performing. Mary J Blidge had an acting role on the umbrella academy season 1, but her last album was released 6 / 7 years ago....... And Christina is still doing very good for herself! Look, I like all 3 performers, but people saying Christina can't sing just shows that you don't like her. I don't like Mariah Carey but that doesn't mean she has a bad voice! She's a diva!

Ha Ha! This whole discussion has not aged well. Britney has stopped "singing" or performing. Mary J Blidge had an acting role on the umbrella academy season 1, but her last album was released 6 / 7 years ago....... And Christina is still doing very good for herself! Look, I like all 3 performers, but people saying Christina can't sing just shows that you don't like her. I don't like Mariah Carey but that doesn't mean she has a bad voice! She's a diva!

Agree about Christina, she’s doing very well these days. But just to give credit where credit is due, Mary J Blige became a two-time Academy Award nominee two years ago. It’s not like her role in the Umbrella Academy is the high point of her career these past five years :smile:

LOL i didn’t know such a thread existed...
Aguilera’s reputation has passed the music industry. It’s known that she is rude but that doesn’t have anything to do with her talent or her voice.

Lol, Mary released her latest album in 2017 and besides that, is an icon and has nothing to prove anymore. Just like Britney and Christina are, all of them have achieved amazing success and all have an important place in pop history. And, I love Christina, but it's not like she is super active or scoring hits anymore these days either.. All three of them are in a different phase in their careers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->