Mattel launches designer Barbie clothes for women

Echoes

Confused & Bewildered
Reaction score
"Barbie" Enters Fashion World for Real

Not sure where else to put this, so if it needs to be moved......

http://usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2005-10-15-barbie-clothing_x.htm

NEW YORK (Reuters) —

Toy maker Mattel Inc, known for Barbie fashion dolls, is expanding the plastic icon's domain to include high-end designer clothing and accessories for adult women. The merchandise, which includes jeans, shirts, handbags and jewelry, is designed by well-known fashion designers and will sell under the name Barbie Luxe. Using Barbie as their "muse", designers like Anna Sui, Anya Hindmarch, Citizens of Humanity, Judith Leiber, Nickel, Not Rational, Paper Denim & Cloth, Stila and Tarina Tarantino have added Barbie-esque touches to their designs, such as pink stitching on jeans or a retro silhouette on a cameo pendant.

"Our target market is the fashionista," said Richard Dickson, senior vice president of global consumer marketing and entertainment for Mattel Brands. "From teens through adults in their 20's and 30's. It's not Mattel's usual target audience."

Weak sales of Barbie dolls, a lackluster retail environment, and strong competition have hurt Mattel recently. The company is working to raise Barbie's non-toy profile as well as tap a grown-up fan base as part of a long term plan to reinvigorate the toy brand.

There will be a series of promotions to publicize the Barbie Luxe brand, including underground campaigns, launch parties and Fashion Week interviews.

The El Segundo, California-based toy maker is launching the line exclusively at Fred Segal Flair in Santa Monica next week, and some designers will carry the merchandise in their own boutiques.

Mattel is hoping that the clothing and accessories will catch on with trendsetting teens and women and that popularity will trickle down to Barbie the doll.

"When a teen or 20-something is carrying an Anya Hindmarch, Barbie bag it'll reinforce Barbie as as relevant, cool brand for little girls," said Dickson. "Little girls are growing up faster than ever and looking to adults and teens for inspiration, and Barbie is their aspiration."

The items aren't cheap, with jeans priced at $176 and a 3/4 sleeve hooded sweatshirt at $140, and this helps add to the cachet of the brand, which is designed to be "aspirational."

Dickson said Mattel is making a point to keep Barbie Luxe as a specialty collection and the prices a bit out of reach.

Mattel has a similar clothing line in Japan, where it has Barbie boutiques, and earlier this year it announced a girls' clothing collection called Barbie loves Benetton. The toy maker also has a high-end line of collectible dolls — geared for adults — many decked out in outfits created by designers like Lilly Pulitzer, Cynthia Rowley, Versace and Kate Spade.

"Barbie has a special relationship with women," said Dickson. "It takes them back to being a little girl and fantasizing about what they're going to be in the future."

Thats so weird.:shock: ... aspirational:huh: .. I thought if they ever made a clothing line it would be something for girls in their tweens....

I can't imagine a grown woman head to toe in Barbie clothes... :blink: :lol:

What next?... aspirational dream homes?.. stick to dolls Mattel!

Ah, so I guess that explains the Sasha pictures. Or not.

(YM)08.jpg

I used to love inventing "alternative" looks and games with my Barbie's. Once I accidently left my Barbie in the bath and a few days later the metal in its legs had rusted through to make black sploggy marks on the plastic. She became: Barbie the Leper and was shunned by society (my other dolls.)

Anyway... :innocent: ...this is so bizarre, Barbie Luxe. Just when we thought no one could get any trashier than Paris Hilton...

I wonder if they'll make shoes were you constantly have to arch your feet.

hmm... the first thing I thought was "odd", but really it could be very interesting. I would like to see what they come up with!

I think this could be interesting...I would really like to see what they come up with...

the mind reels :wacko:

NEW YORK (Reuters) — Toy maker Mattel Inc, known for Barbie fashion dolls, is expanding the plastic icon's domain to include high-end designer clothing and accessories for adult women.
The merchandise, which includes jeans, shirts, handbags and jewelry, is designed by well-known fashion designers and will sell under the name Barbie Luxe.

Using Barbie as their "muse", designers like Anna Sui, Anya Hindmarch, Citizens of Humanity, Judith Leiber, Nickel, Not Rational, Paper Denim & Cloth, Stila and Tarina Tarantino have added Barbie-esque touches to their designs, such as pink stitching on jeans or a retro silhouette on a cameo pendant.

"Our target market is the fashionista," said Richard Dickson, senior vice president of global consumer marketing and entertainment for Mattel Brands. "From teens through adults in their 20's and 30's. It's not Mattel's usual target audience."

Weak sales of Barbie dolls, a lackluster retail environment, and strong competition have hurt Mattel recently. The company is working to raise Barbie's non-toy profile as well as tap a grown-up fan base as part of a long term plan to reinvigorate the toy brand.

There will be a series of promotions to publicize the Barbie Luxe brand, including underground campaigns, launch parties and Fashion Week interviews.

The El Segundo, California-based toy maker is launching the line exclusively at Fred Segal Flair in Santa Monica next week, and some designers will carry the merchandise in their own boutiques.

Mattel is hoping that the clothing and accessories will catch on with trendsetting teens and women and that popularity will trickle down to Barbie the doll.

"When a teen or 20-something is carrying an Anya Hindmarch, Barbie bag it'll reinforce Barbie as as relevant, cool brand for little girls," said Dickson. "Little girls are growing up faster than ever and looking to adults and teens for inspiration, and Barbie is their aspiration."

The items aren't cheap, with jeans priced at $176 and a 3/4 sleeve hooded sweatshirt at $140, and this helps add to the cachet of the brand, which is designed to be "aspirational."

Dickson said Mattel is making a point to keep Barbie Luxe as a specialty collection and the prices a bit out of reach.

Mattel has a similar clothing line in Japan, where it has Barbie boutiques, and earlier this year it announced a girls' clothing collection called Barbie loves Benetton. The toy maker also has a high-end line of collectible dolls — geared for adults — many decked out in outfits created by designers like Lilly Pulitzer, Cynthia Rowley, Versace and Kate Spade.

"Barbie has a special relationship with women," said Dickson. "It takes them back to being a little girl and fantasizing about what they're going to be in the future."

(from usatoday.com)

But why? Just to make some more money out of stupid people..Surplus..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johngreen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->