men's accessories - how to do it right?

happycanadian

Reaction score
just wondering how everyone here thinks a man should accesorize. it seems like the ladies are piling on more and more different little neckthings or bangles or hats/shades/scarves, etc. well, men can do it too, and when it's done right, it looks great. question is: how do we do it?

hehe ;-)
42704599_c538fb8a44.jpg

^lol thats how i'm gonna start accessorising :woot: :lol: :D

i think simple and understated is the key, to start with at least.

a nice watch that will last you a lifetime is a good start, pick your price range and with a little bit of research you'll find something great.

another great accessory you can work is cufflinks, though only if you wear a suit of a regular basis, but even if you don't you should have at least one great pair for the occassions you do dress in a suit.

lapel pins are a nice understated accessory too, as an electrical engineer i'll sometimes wear a gold omega(electrical symbol of resistence) lapel pin of course with a gold watch and cufflinks. I'm on the lookout for a silver one since i rarely wear gold. I think lapel pins are fun and for me it's a little covert way to run against the current political climate in the usa.

I don't do bracelets or other jewelry, do you smoke? a nice lighter could be a great piece, I have a nice s.t. dupont that I am very fond of.

I think fashion on men is better in most cases left as understated, sure I love prada's and marni's brooches but I just don't see how to do it. I'd love to feel comfortable in a hermes twilly as well but I just don't see that happening. A flashy belt might work, esp if you were to wear muted tones and then a belt that really jumps out at you, I do this with an orange belt I got a while back.

ok well I hope I gave you an idea or two!

id say do it like the ladies but maybe with a bit more subtle tone. dont go overkill but start with say.. try adding a scarf (a twilly would be nice), a hat (not with formal wear tho as it would look to stiff imo) and of course a bag. i think the key word here is less is more BUT not less as in nothing :wink:

i say dont be boring and do the useual heavy metal stuff - i go for 5 strand pearl baraceletts pearl necklaces (i have a thing for pearls lol) big brooches, pashminas worn like scarves and stuff like that

^ Yes. None of that super tacky trash. Timeless gentlemenly items.

I like a lot of contradiction in my jewelry. Last winter I had a really long black cable knit scarf that I wore just flipped once around my neck and was fastened with a crystal studded skull brooch.

I like pearls that might be too feminine for your average male. One thing is David Yurman, Im gonna get one of his braided cuff bracelets with ruby cabochon tips, with my friends discount no less.

A NICE WATCH. For Christmas Im asking for a Santos De Cartier watch. I tried it on and woke up ten minutes later on the floor. Exquisite. It will last a lifetime.

VICTIM said:
i say dont be boring and do the useual heavy metal stuff - i go for 5 strand pearl baraceletts pearl necklaces (i have a thing for pearls lol) big brooches, pashminas worn like scarves and stuff like that

I'm jamming those pearls too. Scarves WITH pearls are the way forward.

Personal opinion.

Key word is UNDERSTATEMENT.

I do not like earrings, yellow gold, chains or large chunky jewllery on men (Sorry Mr. T! I think that pretty much covers you!!) If it counts as "bling-bling" it's probably "bleh-bleh" to me.

Men usually accessorize with a nice, classic watch appropriate to their personality. Also, usually a simple, dark-toned, perhaps leather, briefcase or similar type bag. In the winter, well-chosen hats, scarves, and gloves enhance any look.

Also possible: Simple bracelets, necklaces or rings (not all at once) in silver-toned, plain metal (or even better, not in metal but in something else - leather, wood, etc). No diamonds in any rings (keep rings to a minimum!), and if must wear a diamond (not necessary,) maybe have it in the watch face. Please god no pinky rings.

I like punky/gothy accessories on males (done understated, with class). I also kind of dig the laid-back surfer/hippie jewlerry. I really don't care if it's in fashion or not. It's hot and youthful and that's what it comes down to for me.

EDIT: on second thought, I was thinking only about caucasian skin tones but gold-toned jewlerry probably looks good on guys with darker skin tones. But I feel it looks gaudy on guys w/ lighter skin (white/asian)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't accessorize, except a bag, and a hat/scarf in he winter, which all serve a utilitarian purpose, I never go pass a leather cuff (and that's once in a blue moon). I think it's effeminate, and I find that absolutely disgusting.

All this handkerchief dandy sh*t makes me PUKE. :yuk::sick:

mens accs.

I like to be comfy so I usually have a simple necklace, like a Gudalupe or something, and a vintage scarf. It's a state of mind...think Eurotrash meets NY.

As soon as you are ok with it, and u like , how it looks on you, i think others will like it too. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patda02
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->