Mi 3 Has Mild Success At The Box Office.

Urban Stylin

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ
Reaction score
From movies.yahoo.com

Cruise's "Mission" underwhelms at box office
[SIZE=-1]Sunday May 7 1:46 PM ET[/SIZE]

imageENA10304261719.jpg

[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
"Mission: Impossible III," the first big action film of the summer, opened disappointingly at the weekend box office in North American, despite a whirlwind publicity tour by its pricey star, Tom Cruise.
The spy thriller sold $48 million worth of tickets in its first three days in theaters across the United States and Canada, distributor Paramount Pictures said on Sunday.
The Viacom Inc.-owned studio said the figure was within its expectations of a bow in the $50 million range, but it was gratified by the international showing, where it earned $70 million after opening virtually everywhere except Japan and India. The movie did bomb in Germany, where Cruise has historically had a tough time, the studio said. The movie cost just under $150 million to make.

studios said they had expected the film to open to at least $60 million domestically. Industry analyst Brandon Gray at boxofficemojo.com said he had expected the movie to kick off with about $70 million, which is where the last two opened after adjusting for ticket price inflation.
"A truly successful sequel needs to open bigger than its predecessor," Gray said, noting that follow-up movies usually burn out more quickly.
He doubted that Cruise's unconventional antics in the past year -- such as jumping on talk show host Oprah Winfrey's couch and his strident support of Scientology -- played a role in the film's underperformance, and instead pointed the finger at a marketing campaign that made the movie seem less fun than its predecessors.
Comparing North American sales with those of the first two "Mission" films is not easy, as those opened during the Memorial Day holiday weekends at the end of May when overall business was stronger.
The first film, directed in 1996 by Brian De Palma, earned an unadjusted $45.4 million during the Friday-to-Sunday period, but its figures would have been higher if not for Tuesday previews and a Wednesday opening. It ended up with $180.9 million. Four years later, John Woo's sequel earned $57.8 million for the same period, ending up with $215.4 million.
The new film ranks No. 2 among North American openings this year, far behind "Ice Age: The Meltdown" with $68 million a month ago, and only $8 million ahead of "Scary Movie 4."
It marks the first release to get the green light from the studio's new chairman and chief executive, former talent manager Brad Gray, who came aboard early last year after the previous regime suffered through several years of underperforming pictures.
Paramount production president Rob Moore preferred to use last year's "Batman Begins" as his yardstick, since both movies resurrected a dormant franchise. The Caped Crusader opened to $48.7 million on its way to $205 million.
The critically acclaimed film marks Cruise's third turn as superspy Ethan Hunt. Oscar-winner Philip Seymour Hoffman ("Capote") played the bad guy. After plugging the movie at several major cities overseas, Cruise spent Wednesday on an unusual mission in New York leading media and fans on a wild goose chase around the city.
The film also marks the feature directing debut of TV veteran J.J. Abrams, creator of such shows as "Alias" and "Lost." He stepped in after David Fincher and then Joe Carnahan exited. That was not the only behind-the-scenes drama. Cruise reportedly had to cut his fee after Paramount's new bosses balked at the escalating budget.
While there were some reports that the youthful 43-year-old was losing his female fan base, Paramount said the demographics were exactly the same for all three "Mission" movies: 64 percent of viewers were aged 25 and older, and 56 percent were male.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not too shocked. I know lots of guys who are die hard MI fans, but refused to see this one because they cannot stomach Tom anymore. Still, by normal standards, the movie did well-- it just didn't meet expectations after he whored it up to the press all month long.

The movie did bomb in Germany, where Cruise has historically had a tough time, the studio said.

I wonder how Tom Cruise feels about being upstaged by David Hasselhof :lol:

I saw it and enjoyed it- I thought it was ok. I am actually not an action fan, I had to turn away during some scenes, but not of the fights or blood... but because of Tom Cruise's close ups scenes... he grossed me out with his act...:yuk:

I thought Keri would have a bigger part though, because of all the promotions she was involved for MI3...:o

I ABSOLUTLY LOVED MI 1+2 but since Tom Cruise missed no chance of outing himself as a TOTAL NUTCASE I have no desire to EVER again see a film where he is involved :yuk:

PS: I`m german and I can not confirm that the film is "bombing" here! Rather the opposite: Scientology is not accepted here (it`s even watched by Authority!) and lots of people strongly dislike Tom`s behaviour lately.

Heroin_Chic said:
I ABSOLUTLY LOVED MI 1+2 but since Tom Cruise missed no chance of outing himself as a TOTAL NUTCASE I have no desire to EVER again see a film where he is involved :yuk:

PS: I`m german and I can not confirm that the film is "bombing" here! Rather the opposite: Scientology is not accepted here (it`s even watched by Authority!) and lots of people strongly dislike Tom`s behaviour lately.

I don't know about in the USA, but in England 'to bomb' means to fail badly, 'I bombed my exams'.

Cruise can go chew on placenta, I'm not going to see his tosh.

I don't know about in the USA, but in England 'to bomb' means to fail badly, 'I bombed my exams'.

Yeah, means the same thing here :wink:

Scientology is not accepted here (it`s even watched by Authority!)

Really? Wow....I didn't know scientology had many followers outside of L.A. :lol:

sanura said:
I thought Keri would have a bigger part though, because of all the promotions she was involved for MI3...:o

Tom and the studio made her do all the press work I'm sure. I am bummed that she didn't have a huge role. I :heart: her.

Wow , Germany sounds like paradise! Let's all move there!

VainJane said:
Really? Wow....I didn't know scientology had many followers outside of L.A. :lol:

Can you believe there is a Scientologist building here in Toronto? :blink: Gross.

oolie coco said:
Can you believe there is a Scientologist building here in Toronto? :blink: Gross.

Really?! I've never seen one. Does it look like a church? Or is it just a regular building? Or is it an alien spaceship? LOL. Wonder if they'll start popping up everywhere?

cosmogrl5 said:
Really?! I've never seen one. Does it look like a church? Or is it just a regular building? Or is it an alien spaceship? LOL. Wonder if they'll start popping up everywhere?
You'll know when you see flashing lights in the sky and it lands in your backyard. :wink:

NOT surprised. Tom is a nut.

Also, it is the third sequel.

VainJane said:
Yeah, means the same thing here :wink:

mm-hmm. There's scientology buildings all over the United States. I've got one in my city.
It's not as...enormous of a building as the one Tom Cruise attends, but...
Seems like with all the $$ they shell out for that "religion", they could at least put some towards bigger buildings in other areas..:innocent:

"Can you believe there is a Scientologist building here in Toronto?"

Yep. I run past it as fast as I can and try and avoid all those crazy Scienos stood outside with their e-meters. The Scienos rent a theatre owned by U of T to hold their "recruiting" sessions. Basically it's one big cash grab and you aren't leaving until they get your money and your soul for a billion years. The Scienos have a statue of old L. Ron that they bring to the sessions and use to block the doors so people can't escape. I kid you not!!

I hear Scientology is banned in Germany which would probably explain why tom's movies bomb there, they are wise to his culty antics. Kudos to them!!

However the Paramount people want to spin it, this movie is a huge disappointment. I read that the movie has to take in $650 mil just to break in, not sure if that is before or after Tom gets his cut. It aint gonna take that much money. This summer their is a huge movie opening every weekend and MI3's take is going to drop from now on.

canuckcutie, thanks for the info. Scientology scares me!

I agree that the ratings will most likely continue to drop. More often than not, I think that's usually the trend anyway.

I can't stand the man! I get sick just hearing or looking at his name!!! :sick: :yuk:

saw that movie two days ago, and actually liked it. BUT its not as good as the first part, and i would not want to watch it again.....
oh, and keri's part was really small, that was a huge disappointment...

Heroin_Chic said:
Totally agree (except I only mildly liked the second one).
Tom has been busy scaring the hell out of me ever since he started dating Katie Holmes.
How can you go from this to this is few years or so?
Creepy beyond words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxycakes
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->