Michael Kors : the next great american designer?

I think Michael Kors is great at what he does. He's not progressive or innovative but he makes a lot of pretty clothes that certain people like to wear. Sometimes it's easier to wear nice pretty things without thinking about it too much.

Never been in awe of his designs. How can he be the next great? IMO there was never a first. It's still a title to be gotten.

Scott said:
I don't like him either. And frankly,I feel that alot of his comments and critiques on that programme are deluded by his own more commercial tastes and not those of a true critical eye. When I watch him,I notice he has trouble saying anything remotely critical or intelligent with regards to creativity. Remember the episode where he made a not so very funny joke comparing Comme des Garcons with something..?? I found it very degrading to Kawakubo because it sounded very much like CDG was a seemingly novelty name and that she was actually a joke herself.

Furthermore,I never liked him even before. I always found him to be a bit of an old queen with the most boring collections. I don't really enjoy that statement of next great American designer because one would hope that American fashion will begin evolve and change from this whole stagnant idea of sportswear and conservative fashion.
"Comme des Garçons goes to the Amish Country" - I saw that episode (now all I have to do is admit I've seen them all). It's too bad Michael and his sneer accompanied that comment, or it might have realized its potential as a compliment... :lol:

^indeed:lol:

(and so with you on the admission too...HA! :P)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally,the greatest American designer that's lived is one that was always underrated---yet somehow held in such high-regard by NY's most talented at the same time---was Geoffrey Beene.

While I find his collections to be a bit repetitive, and sometimes boring (SS 2007)...I think he is poised to become a household name sooner than later, whether or not people like that...Even without the help of Project Runway, I think he was well on his way to reaching Calvin Klein, Oscar de la Renta, and Carolina Herrera status. In a way, he already has...

I think he has reached Carolina Herrera notority, certainly not Ralph, Donna or Calvins...He hasn't had any pop-culture influence like they have. He really needs to drop the snooze factor. I dont know how he had the gall to call Laura repetitive, at least her looks are glam and chic, you're are always nude matte jersey w/ a hideous sandal and cheap-looking bag!! Same w/ Uli I was like, those are your dresses Michael just in better fabrics!!

That said, he does have great basics and I do like the way he cuts his mens clothes...

Last edited by a moderator:
LostInNJ said:
While I find his collections to be a bit repetitive, and sometimes boring (SS 2007)...I think he is poised to become a household name sooner than later, whether or not people like that...Even without the help of Project Runway, I think he was well on his way to reaching Calvin Klein, Oscar de la Renta, and Carolina Herrera status. In a way, he already
has...

well Lost, most of the time i agree with your posts and always find them very informative. However i have to disagree with you on this one.

he does not do the kind of clothes that Oscar or Carolina does, and i doubt he can reach the status of Calvin.
Calvins clothes had a certain style and cool that very few american designers had/ have. as much as his clothes were minimal, he was a master of line, balance and proportion, his clothes never look dated (as Mr. Kors does)
i wish him all the success possible, as i would never wish anything negetive for someone practicing the same profession as my own (or any other decent and positive profession for that matter)

I like his line...nice clothes...a bit boring...but nothing original...but I definitely wouldn't call him the next great american designer...I just can't stand him on Project Runway...he's a bit of a b*tch...and a know-it-all...

Lena said:
for one, i'm a european with great respect and admiration for the 'modern' american style as it came out during the 60s & 70s and the way it developed.
american designers have presented both innovative ideas and real wearable , modern styles with the active, professinal woman in mind

in the list of real great american designers, i would add Geofrey Beanne (sp?) and of course Halston, even Oscar De La Renta who even though he doesnt suit my taste, i really respect for staying true with his own vision (see how Balmain suffered after Oscar's decision to stop working with for them)
from the 80s & 90s we had Karan & Jacobs and yes, why not Kors ?(who i believe is very under estimated)

i like his work, he covers the needs of a specific clientelle in the best way and see how Celine totally flopped after his departure
even though i dont see him as the 'next' great american designer, i'm a bit tired of people bashing him all the time, i thought i had to stand by him , give him some credit :wink:

I'm with you, Lena. Michael Kors is a great designer who never tries too hard to create certain trend or to look avant garde. I like how he is always being himself and make clothes with great quality and suit for the body conscious women. Donna Karen represents a working woman's needs/view on fashion, and Marc Jacobs probably represents the younger generation who at least once felt lost yet stick to their own personalities. Michael, on the other hand, designs for a different crowd and from a man's perspective. I'm not sure if he is the NEXT great American designer, but he is a great American designer. I know that Rei is highly respected on this board, but I can see why Kors does'nt get her. And sometimes I think Rei tries too hard to be different. From that perspective Yohji is more true to himself and a true master.

Also I agree with Spike413:
...considering what American fashion currently stands for. He creates classic, luxurious jet-setting sportswear that women spanning age can wear.

Caffeine said:
I know that Rei is highly respected on this board, but I can see why Kors does'nt get her. And sometimes I think Rei tries too hard to be different.

ditto on Rei

i dont want to go off topic but i find the 'trying too hard' esthetics a bit 'old' since they've been going on for more than two decades now.

zamb said:
well Lost, most of the time i agree with your posts and always find them very informative. However i have to disagree with you on this one.

he does not do the kind of clothes that Oscar or Carolina does, and i doubt he can reach the status of Calvin.
Calvins clothes had a certain style and cool that very few american designers had/ have. as much as his clothes were minimal, he was a master of line, balance and proportion, his clothes never look dated (as Mr. Kors does)
i wish him all the success possible, as i would never wish anything negetive for someone practicing the same profession as my own (or any other decent and positive profession for that matter)

I may not be viewing this from a design standpoint, I guess. I'm looking at "Michael Kors" as the overall picture. The same way Calvin Klein is a household name, I think Michael is on the same path. As far as his collections are concerned, I don't think they are anything phenomenal, and I couldn't begin to compare him to Calvin Klein, as their design principles are completely different.

PrinceOfCats said:
Excuse me? I must have missed the first...

Halston ...!!!!!

And I think that Kors fills the niche that Bill Blass left somehow ...

LostInNJ said:
I may not be viewing this from a design standpoint, I guess. I'm looking at "Michael Kors" as the overall picture. The same way Calvin Klein is a household name, I think Michael is on the same path. As far as his collections are concerned, I don't think they are anything phenomenal, and I couldn't begin to compare him to Calvin Klein, as their design principles are completely different.

well LostInNJ,
this is why communication is good, because now i understand you better, and thats why its good to have a wide range of people here, working in different fields ans seeing things from different perspectives.
as a designer i hope that my role is to enter the discussion giving a designers perspective, albeit, an independent designer running a small company. and even more important, trying to understant yours and others views as well...........................

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiepeaches
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->