Midwest Street Style

There are some exceptions of course, but for the most part I have noticed that the style in both Minneapolis and Chicago (I've lived in both) is more or less about comfort and weather. There are people that follow fashion, but most end up looking like fashion victims or hipster art students (the worst IMO).

That said, if Paris got anywhere near as cold as Chicago and Minneapolis does - I highly doubt they would be fashionable in winter either!

Let's wake this thread up!!
I live in Minneapolis and work downtown so I see it all fashionwise that Minneapolis has to offer. My observances:
  • Minneapolis is overun with "scene" kids
  • New York New York, Minneapolis is always coveting the New Yorkness.
  • Preppy has been replaced with super trendy. You know that page in the magazine that shows like 10 celebs wearing the same trend? That's the new prep here.
  • A lot of guys are trying to do the Johhny Depp or Adam Brody style.
  • The womens work wardrobe usually falls into 3 categories: black pant suit, super matchy seperates, straight up casual. There are exceptions obviously, not all working women here fall into those categories. Some look marvelous.
  • Eclectic. Minnesota and in particular Minneapolis isn't just a bunch of old white people. In MPLS there are just as many Black people as White people as Mexicans as Somalians as Tibetans as Hmongs etc. So in that way...we are kind of like the New York of the Midwest.:wink:
SO c'mon people! let's represent for the mid-west. Talk about the fashions and style where you live.

ANOTHER OBSERVANCE:

Packs of girls wearing the exact same outfit! Any group of young female friends that come downtown..usually wil be wearing the same outfit. OKay maybe not "usually" but enough times for me to notice. For example: I saw a group of girls (5 or 6) ALL wearing little t-shirts, hole-y jeans, and flip flops. And anothe group of girls ALL wearing cropped sweatpants :yuk:, School sweatshirts, and coach bags. This along with super-trendy has replaced preppy. And it's grossing me out.

I'm living in Phoenix now, but I'm originally from Nebraska and style generalized is pretty bad. Most "stylish" people simply buy tops/jackets from Express, Banana Republic (too expensive for what you get imo) and pair them with 7 or Citizen jeans and Steve Madden heels. There's not very much room for creativity, either. Whenever I wear something remotely different than the "uniform" I get a lot of weird looks...but I don't care :smile:

However, I love that I can leave the house during the day and wear my boyfriends b-ball shorts and a huge t-shirt and not get weird looks...haha. I love fashion, but I have a lil tomboy in me.

^I was gonna say that.... thats what everyone wears when they have to look "nice" or "dress up".... the "nice top with jeans/black pants combo":lol:

Some more street style...

Anita Jensen
25, apparel consultant
What are you wearing? My shorts and shirt are from Charlotte Russe, the belt is from Design Collective and the shoes are by Enzo Angiolini.

Where do you like to shop? Anywhere! Specifically, consignment shops or my friends' closets.

Describe your personal style: Eccentric.

What is your hottest summer moment? Skinny dipping at my friend's condo and getting caught!

Kara Tharaldson
33, project manager
What are you wearing? A shirt from Express. It is supposed to be a halter top, but I switched it up. A very old BCBG skirt, BCBG shoes and a Karma belt.

Where do you like to shop? L.A. boutiques.

Describe your personal style: I wear things that accentuate the parts of my body I like the most. I'm a hippie by day and funky by night.

What is your hottest summer moment? Skinny-dipping in a lagoon next to a 20-foot waterfall in the North Woods. ... It was amazing.

Mark Fox
30, accountant
What are you wearing? Vintage '50s pants from Lula, a random shirt, Steve Madden shoes and a scooter tie from J. Crew.

Where do you like to shop? Designer flea markets in New York.

How would you describe your personal style? Manipulated high fashion with class.

What is your hottest summer moment? A photo shoot I was in this morning for a local magazine.

Rachel Amelotti
28, marketing, Mall of America
What are you wearing? A dress from Heartbreaker, Nine West shoes and a clutch from DSW.

Where do you like to shop? Anywhere and everywhere. ... I can't even be specific. I love to shop.

Describe your personal style: Colorful, very random, and I am always high-heeled.

What is your hottest summer moment? Camping. ... It was my first anniversary.

From vita.mn

More from vita.mn...
What do local designers wear? We found out at last month's Kjurek Couture trunk show at Cliché.

Kimberly Jurek
29, designer, Kjurek Couture
What are you wearing? I'm wearing my own line at the moment. This is a strappy, iris vintage floral dress, along with MOTO jeans and Target shoes.

Where do you like to shop? I'm a designer, so I shop myself. But I love Cliché and I am also very gullible toward Urban Outfitters.

What is your perfect summer attire? Exactly what I am wearing! Jeans and a short dress that is comfortable and you don't have to wear a bra with.

Amanda Christine
24, designer
What are you wearing? My dress is from a little shop in Miami called Mango, my sandals are from Kohl's and my bag is from Express.

Where do you like to shop? I love Arden B. And as always, Cliché.

What is your perfect summer attire? Everyone needs a great dress, a big bag, big accessories like earrings and a chunky necklace, and let's not forget flip-flops!

Bridget Ritzinger
28, professional socialite
What are you wearing? My headband and sleeveless butterfly dress are by Kjurek Couture, the tank top is from Target, the jeans are MOTO and my shoes are Preview from Nordstrom.

Where do you like to shop? Anywhere I can find sale items that look good!

Describe your personal style: Punky Brewster and Pocahontas beyond Thunderdome.

What is your perfect summer attire? A bikini.

Pather Yang
26, design student
What are you wearing? My dress is from Target. It is actually a shirt that I found on the sale rack in the plus-size department. My cami is from Old Navy and my shoes are by Jessica Simpson.

Where do you like to shop? Target, Cliché, thrift stores and Nordstrom.

Describe your personal style: Chloé-esque. Casually fun and flirty.

What is your perfect summer attire? Anything short and loose.

Last one for today...also from vita.mn

Barbette's Bastille Day celebration was the most stylish block party of the summer. But was it very French?

Ruth Menard
27, bartender
What are you wearing? Mostly thrifty digs. A white crochet shrug from Nu Look Consignment, a riding cap found in Urban Outfitters clearance, and a plaid top from H&M.

Describe your personal style: Eurotrash meets Midwest.

Are you a Francophile? I'm certainly not a Francophobe.

What goes best with a beret? Attitude.

Chris Thaemert
33, project manager and architecture student
What are you wearing? A.P.C. jeans and a Helmut Lang belt and shoes. The scarf was a gift from a friend who bought it in Beijing.

Describe your personal style: Pretty inconsistent. I'm not really a fan of prescribed fashion. I'm not afraid to wear white shoes, so that must say something.

Are you a Francophile? Je crois que oui. (I believe so.) I lived in France for a short time, so I suppose so.

What goes best with a beret? Very little. I think only senior citizens can get away with wearing berets.

Danielle Morris
25, server
What are you wearing? A jumper from the mall, a thrift-store bag, dollar-store sunglasses and Havaianas flip-flops.

Describe your personal style: Rock 'n' roll Rainbow Brite.

Are you a Francophile? Not really, but I like French wine, and French men.

What goes best with a beret? A machine gun, like Patty Hearst.

Ezekiel Frost
32, auto mechanic
What are you wearing? My mom made my pants, the shoes are from Neiman Marcus, the shirt is from Intoto, and the head scarf is from Unique Thrift Store.

Describe your personal style: O.G. -- original gypsy.

Are you a Francophile? Not really -- I like what I like. If it happens to be French, all the better.

What goes best with a beret? Marlon Brando.

What's it like in Chicago?

• loads of hipsters, scenesters, emos
  • poor but still styling students (thanks UO, H&M, and Unique Thrift/Salvation Army),
  • suburban/cheesy folks (uggs, giant logo Chanel bags, bleachblondes, hollister/A&F, flipflops)--and then their more fashionable (at least they think so) but still branded counterparts--both groups do the club wear and the douche-y stuff you'd see at Akira or RAVE ("guido"-type stuff, sculpted hair for the guys, orange tans, etc)
  • folks with steez/streetstyle & sneakerheads (guys and girls who rubberband their jeans at the ankles to prevent indigo staining on their white shoes--tongue out, etc), and then whatever off-shoot style bboyz and bgirlz have...
  • a lot of mexican immigrant guys when they dress up--dress up authentically country (boots, hat, etc--and i've seen plenty of other folks do this)
  • mac & "pimp" steez (gators, candy colored suits or just white, optional top hats, canes, a nice pair of shades, optional fur coat in the winter), "ghettofab" ladies (superlong & pretty nails, sculpted hair, loud but coordinated outfits)
  • the toned down but still stylin' gay black guys who do stuff like matching eyeglasses for outfits (if they got the money!)--and then the really stylin and actually kinda pretty and almost overly feminine black trannies that roam Belmont&Clark weeknights and weekends
  • nu-souls/leftists/political/hippies
  • punks (suburban posers and the real), still fewer skinheads, and metal heads (longish greasy hair, hottopic kind of clothes, bandshirts)
  • bikers (but there are the new ones and then the hells' angels variety),
  • goths/industrial, 50s/Rockabilly/60s retro revivalists (Dita von Tease for the ladies, Brando/Dean/StrayCats or Mod for the dudes--small scene for the revivalists fashion-wise, but a more noticeable scene for the goths/industrial/cyberpunk inspired folks)
Hahahaha--these specific styles all heavily depend on what part of the city you're going through.
but, really... most ppl who aren't at any extreme... and then even more people really don't care--or they're eager to sport their Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Sox jackets and caps paired with regular shirts, light colored 501s, and gym shoes or workboots.

...and I'm not making fun of any of these ppl, they bring flavor to the city and its funny for me to think about the folks i run into when i cross through various social scenes (specifically the styles associated with various music scenes here in Chi).

I like this city more now because I did that rambling list. :flower:

ANYWAY
from The Chicago Reader:What are you wearing? (comes with mini interviews)

twins.jpg

LINDSAY AND ASHLEY Usich, 22, are fraternal twins who live together in Logan Square. Ashley works at a lingerie store and supports her sister, who is the homemaker.

bug.jpg

Matt Jenkins, 19, just finished his freshman year at the School of the Art Institute, where he was studying sculpture, and is now living in Western Springs. He makes music under the name Life Under a Tree and runs a label called Playground’s Greatest Records! with friends.

duds.jpg

HUDSON BLACK, 56, is a retired CTA bus operator and security officer who now works for a private company patrolling O’Hare’s parking lots on horseback. He is a member of the Rockin’ Horse Social Club, a private club in East Chicago that has line dancing on Friday nights.

goddessglory.jpg

Goddess Glory, 22, is a dominatrix who works primarily online. Her Web site is goddessglory.blogspot.com.

maskeddancer.jpg

A COUPLE TIMES a month, Frederick Michael Kobrick IV, 25, and his friends lug a secondhand Lowrey organ down from their third-floor studio in the Flat Iron Building and perform on the sidewalk. They don’t have an official name for the group, but often refer to it as Donor (as in organ).

mocs.jpg

Morgan Thoryk, 23, spent seven months in Marrakech last year teaching English to children.

soundman.jpg

Jeremy Lemos, 30, co-owns the Ukrainian Village recording studio Semaphore and does sound for Sonic Youth on tour. Gwen Lemos, 28, is a wedding DJ. They got married in July.

jessica.jpg

Jessica Graham, 36, is a sales rep for Maharam, a textile company with offices in the Merchandise Mart. She makes clothes for herself and occasionally other people.

eagan.jpg

Sean Eagan, 21, rode his bike here from Kansas City, where he used to help run a live⁄work⁄play space called Sleeper Cellar. He’s been in Chicago a few weeks and figures he’ll stick around a few more.

wayw.jpg

Dustin Senovic, 21, who sells shoes at City Soles by day, is a self-proclaimed dandy by night.

sneaks.jpg

You’ve probably seen Joe Suta’s artwork outdoors—under the name Choke, he’s spray painted or wheat pasted every part of Chicago I’ve ever been to. But recently he’s taken it inside, for gallery shows, mural commissions, and a side hustle in custom-painted Nikes.

grannychic.jpg

Lindsey Delahanty, 25, helps coordinate grants for local artists at the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs.

imagination.jpg

Monika Bukowska, 25, moved to Chicago’s west side from Poland when she was eight years old. She lives in Wicker Park, works in retail, and fronts the band Brilliant Pebbles.

Chicago street style compliments of themidwasteland.blogspot.com
1457296638_4dbfe880b6.jpg
1430326327_6205918acd.jpg

1408623255_448adfc904.jpg

Some MSP streetstyle, which apparently caused us to WIN the street clash (whoop-dee-do?)

IN-MINNEAPOLIS2-1.png

streetclash.blogspot.com

Chicago street style compliments of themidwasteland.blogspot.com
That's EXACTLY what I saw in Chicago, lots of... hipster types influenced by the Sleazy Seventies. -_- (Ever heard of the Roaring Twenties? :lol:) Not to say that's a full representation, not at all- just that I happened to observe it, for whatever my observations are worth. :P

jennifer~, you're spot on from what I can tell. This is all I see in the coffee shops I frequent in MSP as well. I tried to find good rep of the midwest. but alas, the blogs weren't really in my favor :lol:

I like it-- "sleazy seventies"
sure to be an editorial title soon. ha

That's EXACTLY what I saw in Chicago, lots of... hipster types influenced by the Sleazy Seventies. -_- (Ever heard of the Roaring Twenties? :lol:) Not to say that's a full representation, not at all- just that I happened to observe it, for whatever my observations are worth. :P

That's quite a damning analysis of the Chicago style scene, though it's fairly on target. I think it is because most people with a noticeable style in the Windy City tend to rely on the local thrift shops. The people that buy the big brands haven't really developed a unique style sensibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uppmuntra
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->