Models Required to Show ID at Castings

Echoes

Confused & Bewildered
Reaction score
May already have been posted, but ......

CFDA Asks Models to Show ID

GETTING CARDED: Last season, Diane von Furstenberg — herself a passionate advocate of health guidelines for models — got herself into a sticky situation when she learned that one of her runway models, Hailey Clauson, was only 15. The mishap must have inspired the president of the Council of Fashion Designers of America to introduce new guidelines. On Tuesday, she and CFDA chief executive officer Steven Kolb sent out a letter reinforcing the Health as Beauty and Diversity campaign and recommending that models are asked to produce a valid ID on the show day to ensure the minimum age of 16.“The casting agents for the Diane von Furstenberg show will be doing this and we encourage others to do the same,” the letter stated, adding that all top model agencies pledged not to send models under 16 for shows. Additionally, models Sara Ziff from Marilyn and Lily Aldridge from IMG are confirmed to take part in this season’s CFDA Ambassador Program. They will speak to up-and-coming models at their respective agencies Thursday to provide support and advice.

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-scoops/getting-carded-5097177

About time they started using proper ID coz any model under the age limit would have the brains to lie.

I posted about this in the Model's Age - How Young Is Too Young? thread so I'll post it here aswell.
Are Models Lying About Their Ages? The CFDA and Michael Kors Seem to Think So
According to WWD, Furstenberg and CFDA CEO Steven Kolb sent out a letter to members yesterday recommending that they start carding models on the day of the show (before they hit the runway) to make sure they meet the 16 year age minimum. That seems like something they should do earlier, like in the casting stages, or before their agencies send them out, but I guess better late than never?
Michael Kors recently spoke to Lauren Hutton in the new Interview (so awesome) and hinted that models started lying to him about their ages as soon as he said he wouldn’t use models under 16:
"Yeah, and the 14-year-olds are really tricky. I mean, they’re children. I said two years ago, “No models under 16.” Well, of course, right after I said that, we started seeing all of these girls from Eastern Europe, and every girl who’d walk in, you’d say, “Hi. What’s your name?” And she’d be like, “I’m Svetlana.” I’m like, “Svetlana, where are you from?” “Ukraine.” “Svetlana, how old are you?” “16.” Next girl walks in—she’s from Eastern Europe and 16. Next one? Eastern European and 16. I was like, “Was there a bus?”
he goes on to say,
"But I still think it’s a tricky thing because no matter how beautiful you might be at 15 or 16, the simple truth is that you haven’t lived enough to really know how to project anything in a photograph. It’s like a kind of blank beauty."
fashionista.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope the agencies don't give them fake IDs.

I Have just seen this letter posted by Diane von Furstenberg, I think it's been taken quite seriously.
Health Initiative Guidelines Updated by the CFDA
The CFDA remains deeply committed to our message of Health As Beauty and Diversity during Fashion Week and throughout the year. Fashion Week has become a powerful voice which reaches millions of people across the globe and we should not underestimate the consequences of the messages that we send.
In our continuing quest to protect the models that we work with, we have updated the CFDA Health Initiative guidelines to recommend that models be asked for i.d. to ensure that they are at least 16 years old on the day of a show. The casting agents for the Diane von Furstenberg show will be doing this and we encourage others to do the same.
We have received pledges from all the top modeling agencies – including DNA, Elite, Ford, IMG, Marilyn, New York, Next, One, Supreme, Trump, Wilhelmina, and Women – that they will not send out any models under the age of 16 for shows.
Our newly launched Ambassador Program will continue this season with veteran models from DNA, IMG, Marilyn, Next, and Women providing advice and support to up-and-coming models.
Enclosed here you will find the updated Guidelines, as well as information on labor laws and the signs of eating disorders.
We each have the power to impact the lives of women. Together, we can let the world know that diversity and Health Is Beauty are what we stand for.

Love,

Diane von Furstenberg and Steven Kolb
cfda.com

I think this is the right thing to do. This is just for the US though?

Only problem is this policy won't be so great for models who are claiming that they are younger than they really are :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
This feels so artificial and good-publicity motivated. I see very little good coming of it though. I don't disagree that a 14 year old should not be walking a runway show, but I just don't see how requiring an ID would solve that.

Showing ID for runways is a great idea. I just wish this idea would be implemented for campaigns. I'm so tired of seeing girls modeling women's clothes.

It would be a lot more effective to just tell the agencies that any agency who sends over girls under 16 for runway won't be invited to castings next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->