moving to the city affects your skin?

riva bella

Reaction score
Hey there,

I recently moved to NYC and I cannot ignore the effect it has on my skin. Whereas I normally have a fair skin with some impurities here and there, a number of zits and other impurities have popped up since I have moved.

Of course, the A/C, pollution, subway air and the current heat are not really helping. I feel my daily cleansing routine no longer suffices.

Has anybody had a similar experience while moving to the city or can anybody recommend a skin care routine that counters these effects?

Thanks!

-Gabrielle

I think perhaps water quality may also play a part. I recently moved from a city with soft water to a city with hard water and everything (my skin, my hair) feels very different. Although I can't really say that my skin is significantly worse. So far all I've done to tweak my routine is added some moisturizer. :ermm:

there indeed seems to be much more chloride in the water here than at home.

Hi, my friend was in Londen for a couple of months ( she's from Holland) and at the end of the day when she was cleaning her face, the cleanings pads where grey of all the dirt. She was in shock. Myself i live in Amsterdam and if i am cleaning my house a noticed the grey car ( smog? is that the word?) dirt on my windows and television i live in a very busy street with a lot of trafic. Now i try to keep my skin healty by using a good moisterizer and never forget to wash my face at night. I just don't want to know how you face looks when you live in a city like Beiging.

Maybe using product with Vit a, b, c and anti-oxidents. To nutrilize the chemicals/dirt etc

(Riva Bella, are you Dutch? because of Middelburg)

Last edited by a moderator:
haha yes! i actually am dutch, i studied in middelburg before, but now i'm completing a graduate program in ny.

ever since i moved here little impurities and zits just popped up throughout my t-zone and even outside of that. i guess i hadn't realized how "clean" de zeeuwse sea air was haha. it's probably also a matter of adjusting. i hope that the temperature starts dropping soon so that the dirt particles will no longer stick to my sweaty face.

i am now using a cleanser and a moisturizer by neutrogena, but it leaves my face rather "trekkerig" (you know what i mean :wink:

so what did you friend do in london?

Hey there,

I recently moved to NYC and I cannot ignore the effect it has on my skin. Whereas I normally have a fair skin with some impurities here and there, a number of zits and other impurities have popped up since I have moved.

Of course, the A/C, pollution, subway air and the current heat are not really helping. I feel my daily cleansing routine no longer suffices.

Has anybody had a similar experience while moving to the city or can anybody recommend a skin care routine that counters these effects?

Thanks!

-Gabrielle

Water is very very very important.
and ESTEE LAUDER Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher dose magic, at least for me. I live in BEIJING. and about to move ...lol

As for the different water type in different city... hard water/soft water. Well... I think the best thing to deal with this is to use mineral water or boiled water.

It's the stress, late nights, smoking and other extracurricular activities that wreak havoc on skin when I'm in a big city. The other stuff not so much.

I live about a half hr outside L.A. Everytime I go to the city, I definitely notice the effects of the pollution in the air. It gets into my skin, and hair, making it rather oily. I'm not sure if LA & NYC pollution are different, however? I'd recommend something a little more deep cleansing. Weekly steams, followed by masks that are penetrating/invigorating (I like alba's deep sea facial mask). Just try to eat as well as possible - drink a lot of water and tea, eat a lot of antioxidant-rich foods. You can't really avoid going outside, but I think you will get used to it in time, and not really notice after awhile.

I've kinda experienced the same thing. I'm an avid backpacker, so most summers I'll go away for a few months usually to some less developed country (last summer I was in Belize and Guatemala for 2.5 months) and whenever I come back to Canada I always feel like my skin gets a bit worse and I'll have a minor break out.

i live 2 mins walk away from chemical plant and oil works, in a very veyr industrial area of a town about 5 mins outside of a massive city ..

it oviously does have an effect on my skin .. i dont notice it but when i go away campign tot he coutnry side my skin and hair go so much nicer and healthier .. I have since started usign some pollution protector spray on my hair i hope its working

our water has so much crap in it you can actually smell the chlorine in it .. it drys the skin so much :(

i also hate blowing my nose or wiping my face its always black :(

I just moved to NYC too and realized that I'm having more hair loss than usual.

my skin def changes when i got to new york.. and not in a good way.

I just moved to L.A. and haven't noticed a big difference. However, I have never had many zits or pimples... never experienced acne... but I'm waiting for some kind of change to take place. My skin has been very dry, that's for sure.

Hmm..I've lived in London all my life and in my experience, friends who've moved to the city from the countryside do have a marked change in complexion - from rosy, slightly ruddy cheeks to a more sallow complexion. I suppose it's from a lack of fresh air. Someone told me that all the soot you get in the air underground (like on the Tube) dulls your skin tone - is that true?

Yeah I believe in that. I live in Manchester and whenever I go back to my home and return I can see changes in my skin but eventually with care it goes back to normal or "adjusts" to the new setting.

haha yes! i actually am dutch, i studied in middelburg before, but now i'm completing a graduate program in ny.

ever since i moved here little impurities and zits just popped up throughout my t-zone and even outside of that. i guess i hadn't realized how "clean" de zeeuwse sea air was haha. it's probably also a matter of adjusting. i hope that the temperature starts dropping soon so that the dirt particles will no longer stick to my sweaty face.

i am now using a cleanser and a moisturizer by neutrogena, but it leaves my face rather "trekkerig" (you know what i mean :wink:

so what did you friend do in london?

Hi!, Internship in a Hotel for while.

I love Zeeland, very beatifull and clean. I moved from the east ( small village) to Amsterdam and i also noticed it on my skin. I would love to go to NY, always a dream, where in NY do you live?

Oh, in the summertime if i have zits, i go to the beach, go in the sea. And then my face is soo great...bit tanned and from the salt in the water it's free of impurities.

oh, as much as I love this city, Edmonton is a horrible place for my skin.
my face flare up way too easily compare to before >.<

yeah, i moved from louisville (a fairly populated city) to chicago (a hugely populated city). population obviously has nothing to do with it, but my skin has gotten worse.

stress and pollution are probably the biggest causes of this, but i have been eating healthy and working out and getting decent sleep. anyone have any products to suggest or other advice?

OMG YES. I moved to Hong Kong for work and the pollution definitely took a toll on my skin. I had red bumps that cropped up on my neck, thought it was a bug bite, but didn't go away after a few weeks so I got really worried, went to a derm in HK and walked out being diagnosed with pityriasis roscea. Cause of symptoms is rather unknown, but I feel that the transition to a completely foreign country, having to get used to different pasturizations in food such as milk, smog, water quality definitely contributed to it.

^ hong kong was alright. not the best skin wise but its warm-hot all year round and has some humidity
busy areas ie times square, nathan road are totally populated so..air would obviously be more congested

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->