New: Bangkok's First Fashion Library

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
Good news for our members in Thailand , now you have a brand new fashion library :flower:

Thailand has opened its first library devoted to fashion and clothing design. The Bangkok Fashion Trend Center includes collections of information covering international fashion and clothing, textile and garment manufacturing, footwear, leather goods, gems and jewelry. The center is part of the Bangkok Fashion City project financed by the Royal Thai government to promote Thai fashion and apparel brands. The center, based in Bangkok's Central World office building, also will be a repository for the look-books and design sketches of the leading Thai design firms.

from wwd

well i have nothing interesting to add to this, but VERY cool... i've never heard of the fashion industry in thailand, but this is great!

yes, i believe it will give motivation for kids who may decide to work with fashion, its good news.

meowmix said:
well i have nothing interesting to add to this, but VERY cool... i've never heard of the fashion industry in thailand, but this is great!

In my opinion, the Thais are one of the more fashionable and beauty conscious people in Asia. Of course there are others, so don't get mad with me for saying this..

This is really great news. ^_^

i think i've heard of some local 'fashion designers scene' which is actually been assisted by the goverment.. i'd love to know more on Tai fashion..

Hmm yeah I'd like to know more about Thai fashion...and the industry over there too.

The library sounds great...I'd love to have a library like that here...the nearest you get is in the art and design libraries in universities and colleges.

great news, thanks for bringing this up. :flower:

yehh we have a Thailandese member ..you should check the library up and report for us May :wink:

I was in Bangkok during the fashion week. I just got back to Canada. At stalls around Khao Sarn road in Bangkok there are a number of Thai fashion magazines that featured pictures of Bangkok Fashion week. I should have brought one of them back with me. There was a lot of interesting pieces in there.

citychic90 said:
In my opinion, the Thais are one of the more fashionable and beauty conscious people in Asia. Of course there are others, so don't get mad with me for saying this..

This is really great news. ^_^

Just got back from Thailand. I would say that it is actually quite the opposite. Thai people have actually quite a poor fashion sense. I hit almost every big nightlife scene in Bangkok (Lava, Bed Supper Club, Cinnamon, Lucifer, Q Bar, etc). Thai girls mostly wear fake diesel jeans that are really really ugly and cost about $30.00 US. They pair this with a t shirt that has a slogan that makes absolutely no sense to someone that speaks decent english. They also wear very ugly stilleto's.

The men in Thailand are completely androgenous and they make Dior Homme models look quite masculine. The men usually wear a t shirt, flip flops, and fake diesel jeans that have a very poor fit.

hedi, what you find poor taste others may find fantastic
..no need to get out as rude by trashing a whole culture if you know what i mean :wink:

Lena, I might visit it soon after the grand opening of Siamparagon (wow which is tomorrow, i just realized) so I can go both place hehe.

looking forward to your 'report' May

Just to Clarify: I'm based in Thailand atm and I have to say what Hed Kandi said is partly right about Thai fashion. Majority of people here cannot afford genuiene articles (because of the low salary), so they go for fakes which is kinda understandable. However, there are a lot of trendy and fashion-conscious people who have impeccable taste, just like everywhere in the world where you regularly see one group of stereotypes and another group of unique individuals!

There are also many upcoming Thai young designers, which I must say are very promising. If anyone has a chance to check out Bangkok, go to Kaysorn Plaza (for native designers and usual big brands) or the new Siam Paragon (the biggest high end shopping mall in Asia) as May mentioned. You will have a better insight of the Thai fashion industry (which is growing big!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
isn't the creator of THAKOON thai? i know the label is based in NY but he's thai right?

^^Tiger, you're right. most of the people there can't afford to spluge on high-end designers. They have alot of very good quality fakes there though. sorry off-topic but my aunt had bought me a replica lv monogram from there and it looks very close to the real one. anyway, i love their food:heart:

Tiger_sist said:
Just to Clarify: I'm based in Thailand atm and I have to say what Hed Kandi said is partly right about Thai fashion. Majority of people here cannot afford genuiene articles (because of the low salary), so they go for fakes which is kinda understandable. However, there are a lot of trendy and fashion-conscious people who have impeccable taste, just like everywhere in the world where you regularly see one group of stereotypes and another group of unique individuals!

There are also many upcoming Thai young designers, which I must say are very promising. If anyone has a chance to check out Bangkok, go to Kaysorn Plaza (for native designers and usual big brands) or the new Siam Paragon (the biggest high end shopping mall in Asia) as May mentioned. You will have a better insight of the Thai fashion industry (which is growing big!!)

Yes, spot on Tiger_sist. ^_^

Lena said:
hedi, what you find poor taste others may find fantastic
..no need to get out as rude by trashing a whole culture if you know what i mean :wink:

Okay...MOST Thai people have horrible tastes in fashion. But, it's not so much that bothers me that they have a bad sense of style - it's that they try so hard to be like everyone else that they do not have their own individual identity.

All you see as you walk through the trendy University areas and shopping districts of Bangkok are girls with fake Louis Vuitton purses, fake Diesel jeans, fake designer eyewear, etc etc etc. If there's anything that pisses me off more than a person that has bad style, it's a person that buys fake products because they think that others will admire them (or some kind of sick logic).

People with no fashion sense are label whores. They're the people that buy Burberry, or LV anything. They're the people that buy Gucci keychains or Prada wallets. They go with the general society mentality and purchase items which they believe to be "cool" or they try to emulate celebrities and buy knock offs. These are the people with no sense of indiviuality,no sense of originality, no sense of ingenuity. And unfortunately, there's just as many of them here in Canada as there are in Thailand. And these people make me sick.

Tiger_sist said:

There are entire shopping malls in Bangkok dedicated to fakes such as MBK center, but you're right - there are also places to buy genuine articles right from Designer Boutiques such as "The Emporium" (I don't actually know the real name for it).

Hed_Kandi said:
it's that they try so hard to be like everyone else that they do not have their own individual identity.
------------
And unfortunately, there's just as many of them here in Canada as there are in Thailand. And these people make me sick.

now you are talking Hed, we see people like that everywhere, its a global virus, not a Thai exclusive :wink:

Good observation though Hed Kandi, you totally speak my mind about the lack of individuality and orginality in the thai society.

But to be fair, Thailand is a developing country so you cannot compare that to Canada. You may think it has nothing to do with sense of fashion but it surely does. First off, the mentality is different - a lot of people here are still very insecure with themselves and their appearance so they wear what others wear or what they think is trendy. Unlike in Canada, USA or Western Europe where people are MUCH better off - they mentally feel more stable and secure about themselves, so they don't tend to copy each other's style as much.

As for buying fakes, the poor wants to be and dress like the rich, wants to have the "status" so they buy replica - simple as that. Mind you, sometimes these people are so ignorant that they dont even know they are buying a replica - they dont even know of "diesel", they just buy the jeans because they just want a new pair of anything! I also saw a working class girl carrying a very bad imitation of Chloe paddington - I'm pretty sure she doesn't know it's a replica of the IT bag because I don' t think she could afford the glossy fashion magazines to update herself on a regularly basis.

All in all, I feel it's always helpful to know the reasons behind your observation, so you could perhaps forgive those with terrible taste! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->