New: Bangkok's First Fashion Library

nat_attak said:
isn't the creator of THAKOON thai? i know the label is based in NY but he's thai right?

^^Tiger, you're right. most of the people there can't afford to spluge on high-end designers. They have alot of very good quality fakes there though. sorry off-topic but my aunt had bought me a replica lv monogram from there and it looks very close to the real one. anyway, i love their food:heart:

Thanks Nat, I love Thai food! And yes, Thakoon is a Thai born New Yorker, he's pretty young tooI heard.

I've been to BKK many times since my dad lives there. There really is a lack of individual style in Bangkok, people who have money usually buy clothes from brands like lv or chanel, I haven't seen many people who have a style of their own.

All the shopping malls look the same, both gaysorn and emporium are very beautiful but it's all the same; it's gold and marble everywhere. I would like to see more individuality, it seems like they try to make everything look as european and western as possible.

I don't really see why they try to promotoe the city as the new fashion capital of the world. They really should fight the sex industry before they start thinking about fashion. It's like they are ignoring their biggest problems.

Sorry if I sound so negative, Bangkok is still a great city and the shopping malls are really beautiful, the people are so friendly and the food is sooo good. I just think it's a shame they don't develop a style of their own.

fashionpolice_ said:
I've been to BKK many times since my dad lives there. There really is a lack of individual style in Bangkok, people who have money usually buy clothes from brands like lv or chanel, I haven't seen many people who have a style of their own.

All the shopping malls look the same, both gaysorn and emporium are very beautiful but it's all the same; it's gold and marble everywhere. I would like to see more individuality, it seems like they try to make everything look as european and western as possible.

I don't really see why they try to promotoe the city as the new fashion capital of the world. They really should fight the sex industry before they start thinking about fashion. It's like they are ignoring their biggest problems.

Sorry if I sound so negative, Bangkok is still a great city and the shopping malls are really beautiful, the people are so friendly and the food is sooo good. I just think it's a shame they don't develop a style of their own.

The sex industry in Thailand is so disgusting.

edited:kindly keep this on topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone recommend some good modelling agencies in bangkok for portfolio testing. I am bringing a group of accomplished photography students to the City of Angels in Jan 2007.

i'm luk kreung [half thai-half foreign] and i've been to thailand every summer since i was 2. guys generally do wear loose shirts and shorts and flip flops and all of it doesn't really fit but that's because it's scortching hot and they need to be comfortable. walking around on those streets can be torture. as for girls it varies a lot. some are very reserved and some are quite the opposite. there are girls, who i know, who dress like FRUiTS [harajuku girls in case you are trying to picture it :smile:] and some who dress like postitutes. it really depends on how much money they have and what they do in the day. from personal experience i know my family in thailand doesn't have a lot of money and they wear very inexpensive clothing and it's loose but they're comfortable. but there are certain aspects about thailand fashion that is very high up. first and foremost would obviously, maybe not obviously, be thai silk. it's gorgeous. and if you find some you'll find it's very very expensive - if it's genuine duhhhs. but thailand is in the attempt of becoming a fashion city. and it definitely has the potential. i have a magazine called "in trend" and it contains some fashion week stuff from bangkok. i have a lot of thai magazines with thai clothing in it. but i am hoping some thai brands get bigger because i love thai clothes. less expensive and very nice. i particularly found a couple of stores, which my family was appauled by the prices, that i loved.

if anyone is interested in any pictures from "intrend" i can probably upload some.

fashionpolice_ said:
There really is a lack of individual style in Bangkok, people who have money usually buy clothes from brands like lv or chanel, I haven't seen many people who have a style of their own.

they are trying to develope their own style. the whole point of creating bangkok fashion week was to present and help promote thai designers.

gaysorn and emporium are tourist malls, no residents of thailand actually shop their unless they are either ridiculously wealthy or they are farang [foreigner] if you want a true thai shopping experience try 'the mall' or 'siam center' or for the best of all 'chatuchuk - jatujuk'. the mall because it has everything, a huge concert area, a huge amusement park on the top level... of like 15? ha it's huge, a theater everything. siam center is gigungous! there are like four or five separate malls that make up the center. theaters, huge "sub-markets" and everything you could possibly need only drawback is soooo many people. but there is price negotiation and such. fun for all. chatuchuk or jatujuk - i call it chatuchuk but i've heard some call it otherwise, anyway. it's an outdoor market but it's huge. they sell everything. clothes, bags, food, books, electronics, everything... even animals! my friend got the cutest dog ever. anywho it's fun.

i agree the sex industry must have more attention. it's awful because it's what a lot of people resort to because there aren't many good jobs available to thai people. and that may sound like a stupid comment but it isn't. most jobs require a college education and knowledge of english. my cousin who is very well educated... masters this fall, only makes about $180 a month and that's at a very very high job. so you can see how difficult it can be to make ends meet. but there is a great need to do something about this problem.

ok i'm sorry to make so many replies... SO SORRY!!!

but i thought this would be a good one:

[images coming very soon sorry it wouldn't upload them correctly i guess they came in as X's]

these pictures are from thai universities that have fashion design courses. so you can see which direction they are heading in. ^^ enjoy.

Pong said:
they are trying to develope their own style. the whole point of creating bangkok fashion week was to present and help promote thai designers.

gaysorn and emporium are tourist malls, no residents of thailand actually shop their unless they are either ridiculously wealthy or they are farang [foreigner] if you want a true thai shopping experience try 'the mall' or 'siam center' or for the best of all 'chatuchuk - jatujuk'. the mall because it has everything, a huge concert area, a huge amusement park on the top level... of like 15? ha it's huge, a theater everything. siam center is gigungous! there are like four or five separate malls that make up the center. theaters, huge "sub-markets" and everything you could possibly need only drawback is soooo many people. but there is price negotiation and such. fun for all. chatuchuk or jatujuk - i call it chatuchuk but i've heard some call it otherwise, anyway. it's an outdoor market but it's huge. they sell everything. clothes, bags, food, books, electronics, everything... even animals! my friend got the cutest dog ever. anywho it's fun.

i agree the sex industry must have more attention. it's awful because it's what a lot of people resort to because there aren't many good jobs available to thai people. and that may sound like a stupid comment but it isn't. most jobs require a college education and knowledge of english. my cousin who is very well educated... masters this fall, only makes about $180 a month and that's at a very very high job. so you can see how difficult it can be to make ends meet. but there is a great need to do something about this problem.
^
im Thai. ure mostly rigth about Thailand.About sex industry,i hate it but it's getting better .They ve already fought the sex industry but u know, Sex industry is everywhere around the world u cant stop it.
and Hed_Kandi,MBK center isnt exactlly a mall ,it's sort of market of everthing like phone,clothes,watch. I can say that MBK is the only very big mall that sales fake stuff.But it's not that bad.u can buy the phone in a pretty cheap price there.About Fashion libarary. i ll go there .Very interesting place.If i go there,i ll take a pic to show u guys:flower:

I'm a member of that library! It's a cool palce but I don't really go there much cuz I don't have time. I still think they should get more books, though.

Let's not focus on the sex industry... i agree with pinnie, it's everywhere and u can't stop it. Apart from that, I love Bangkok because you can buy cheap and really nice clothes (and i mean not necessarily in Emporium, Paragon or Central which mostly sell the same stuff). I prefer JJ market (Jatujak), Siam and Suan Lum Night Bazaar. I kinda agree that Thai people lack individuality in terms of style but I still think that a lot of Thai people dress nicer compared to some of the street styles i've seen from other countries. I mean, there are always people with bad tastes and lack of originality everywhere, you can't just come to the conclusion that all Thai people have bad tastes in fashion.

1. Fakes- Think about it, you're exposed to rich fortunates carrying gorgeous bags almost everyday, wouldn't YOU want one as well, Hed Kandi? There's no harm in fantasizing and copying is there? It's their choice to throw away their identities.

2.Guys' clothes- Look at the weather! If you've never been here before, you would never believe in a million years how hot this place is. It's 30+ degree c. everyday! So what else do you expect them to wear? D&G suits? I think not!

I have lived here my whole life, so I don't have a problem with the whole fake handbags thing anymore. It does bother me when I have real LV, Chanel, and CD bags and another girl walks out with an imitation of it though. But then I put myself in her shoes, and well, I'm not so mad anymore. Not to sound all bratty and spoiled, but I'm just glad I'm not in her position you know? I have been spending money since I was a little girl, knowing I'm a trust fund baby, I don't have to worry about all that much- which I know isn't the best quality... but now I don't see living my life any other way.

Some photos of the new library...

ftc43b792db3.jpg

ftc243eab8jt6.jpg

ftc34409c9kx8.jpg

All from this website
You can also see a little digital tour through the link, where you can move around^
It wasn't able to load on my computer, so I couldn't see it--maybe it will work on someone else's :ermm:

Is this the same place where last summer they had a special Vivienne Westwood exhibition?

i'm not sure but last summer there's Vivienne Westwood exhibition at Emporium :smile: not too far from the fashion library. just taking skytrain
flowers.gif

Thanks for starting the thread I live in Bkk so will head down there. Interesting reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
omg!!! i cant believe i didnt know about this! i was living in thailand for the past 4 years (basically all of high school) and i just moved to the us this summer for university. i wish i had read this earlier so i could have had a chance to go! but anyways, while yes there are plenty of thais who dont exactly have the best fashion taste there are many many who are very well dressed. the one thing i noticed though is that its alot of the same..everybody is in the same very feminine blouses and skirts, some trapeze dresses, kitten heels, etc. there was actually an article about that in the bangkok post one year..something about how the culture (collective vs. individual) makes it more likely for the Thais to all stick to the same thing. obviously this doesnt apply to everyone there though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avococo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->