New Ceo At Gucci Group

to add, Piere Berge :

Pierre Berge, the former couture boss at Yves Saint Laurent, gave his blessing to the hiring of an outsider at Gucci Group.

“I think it's a very good decision. I don’t think De Sole had any particular competencies — he wasn’t a businessman, he was a lawyer — that Polet doesn’t,” he said. “Polet was a very strong and proven manager in a very big group. I think he’ll be up to the task. After all, the man who manages Gucci isn’t there to offer his creative ideas. De Sole didn’t do that.”

However, Berge provided a word of advice to the luxury neophyte. “It’s a very difficult business and a good manager needs to learn how to maintain the delicate balance between management and creation,” he said.

Yup, and I"m sure Berge is the best-qualified candidate on earth to offer advice on the management of luxury brands, seeing how he basically ran YSL into the ground with his love of tacky licensing. :rolleyes:

Criticizing De Sole on a job unversally agreed to be well done is just the lowest of the low.

Berge is an old, bitter, disillusioned, pompous troll. Nothing more.

Berge and Saint Laurent unfortunately give credibility to the nothion that fashion is a bitchy industry. I mean, come on, he can critiscize Tom and Dom all he wants for whatever reason having to do with YSL, but to go and critiscize DeSole for making Gucci successful is just spiteful, catty and completely rediculous.

Like you said Orochian, he's definitly a great source for advice on managing a luxury fashion brand. :innocent:

people...you realize, of course, that berge was probably sitting at home, minding his own business when wwd called him to ask for his opinion...he may be older and he may be disillusioned-(who wouldn't be after so many years in such a cut-throat industry)...but he built an empire and that can't be discounted...

the industry changed, which is why the formula no longer worked...not because berge was a bad businessman...and he didn't lose the business... he sold it to your boys...who happily paid a fuortune for it...pretty good business move, wouldn't you say?!?!?.. :wink: :lol:

:flower:

This is true..........
But even still how could anybody in their right (I use the term loosely in this particular case) speak ill of what DeSole has done at Gucci, I mean 10+ years and you bring a company from bankruptcy to being one of the most successful and powerful brands in the world, with many other brands under it's wing. Even Berge can't say he's done that.

spike...i re-read berge's comments...i don't think he said anything bad about de sole...just that he is a businessman with no particular fashion experience before joining gucci...similar to the new guy...and that fashion experience isn't necessarily a must for the job....

but it sure helps?!!! :wink: :lol:

I just re-read it too. The thing that got me was the way they worded the first line. Berge gave his blessing to the hiring of an outsider at Gucci Group, what is he, the pope? :huh: Oh well, live and let live, that's what I always say, no matter how nuts they may sound. :flower:

Originally posted by Spike413@Apr 26th, 2004 - 3:02 pm
I just re-read it too. The thing that got me was the way they worded the first line. Berge gave his blessing to the hiring of an outsider at Gucci Group, what is he, the pope? :huh: Oh well, live and let live, that's what I always say, no matter how nuts they may sound. :flower:
oh...i see...yeah that's the media for you...trying to stir up contraversy where there is none...and look how well it works sometimes...hahaha...gotta love wwd... :flower: :wink:

oh jeez. everything seems to be going down hill with this industry.. first posen and diddy... now Dom is out? come on.... **moan**

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->