Fashion Icon googoo gagaa
Reaction score
WWD.COM

Nilsson Out at Ferre

MILAN - Lars Nilsson is out of Gianfranco Ferre. The fashion house said in a
statement that it has ended its relationship with the Swedish designer. It did
not explain why. The show will be held as scheduled on Feb. 18. The statement
specifies that the fall collection is the fruit of the design team and is a
tribute to the creativity of the late Gianfranco Ferre, on which the brand wants
to base its future strategies. Nilsson was hired in September following Ferre's
death in June. A new creative direction will be named after the show, the
company said.

hmm..I wonder what happend!!

how long do we think it will be before it will be the end of this brand...:ermm:...

without ferre...i just don't think it will last...

:(

WHAT?!?

He did one menswear show three weeks ago, and that's it?

My god this musical design directors thing is getting out of hand.

Wow, that was quick and unexpected to say the least...I hope we get some more information soon. I was actually looking forward to Lars' interpretation on the Ferre aesthetic for women. Which also makes me disappointed that the Fall collection is not designed by him (which I had expected)

this is the official press release - fresh from my mailbox:

[FONT=&quot]Gianfranco Ferré S.p.A. announces the end of its collaboration with Mr. Lars Nilsson. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Gianfranco Ferré Fall/Winter 2008/2009 Women’s collection, which will be presented on Monday, February 18th, has been designed by the excellent in-house creative team.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This collection will be a tribute to Gianfranco Ferré’s creativity and to his vision of style as the distinctive value imprinting each aspect of the brand’s strategic orientation.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The new structure relative to the company’s Creative Direction will be made known after the fashion show.[/FONT]

Too much moving. It appears he gets moved quite often!
I say put Tom Ford at Ferré before it is too late.

Too much moving. It appears he gets moved quite often!
I say put Tom Ford at Ferré before it is too late.
Strangely, that would make sense to me. If anyone could tame Ferre's wild architectural streak and make desirable clothes with it, it would be him.

Poor guy..First Bill Blass, then Nina Ricci, then Ferre..all w/in the course of a few short years..

Too bad..I think he's a talented designer, just one who hasnt found his home yet :(

I'm so disappointed to see it.

I love his first menswear show for Ferre.

What happened?

Poor guy..First Bill Blass, then Nina Ricci, then Ferre..all w/in the course of a few short years..

Too bad..I think he's a talented designer, just one who hasn't found his home yet :(

He might want to find a way to just do it himself, and not for other houses. It's obvious that no one understands his philosophy on clothes. I noticed this at blass. I really didn't' think that he was suited to Ferre. Ferre is very dramatic and strong. I never saw Nilsson this way.

For him not to have had an involvement in the collection means he was out early.
Sad, he's on the way to having a bad reputation whether it is self perpetuated or not.
I happen to think this hard line is really the company itself; designers don't often have the clout they think they have. Not even the venerable Tom Ford could keep his old job...and he owed shares.

I like Nilsson for I think he has the talent, but if this trend continues, I just don't see anyone willing to back him financially to do what he wants.

Source | FWD | Friday, Feb 8th

Lars Nilsson Out at Ferré
Fall 2008 collection designed by in-house team

In a statement released Friday confirming Nilsson's exit following a brief five-month tenure, Gianfranco Ferré S.p.A stated, "The Gianfranco Ferré Fall 2008 women's collection, which will be presented on Monday, February 18, has been designed by the company's in-house creative team. This collection will be a tribute to Gianfranco Ferré's creativity and to his vision of style as the distinctive value imprinting each aspect of the brand's strategic orientation."

The Swedish designer, whose resumé read like a Who's Who of international fashion, had previously worked at such houses as Christian Lacroix, Balmain, Dior, Bill Blass, and Nina Ricci. He was named creative director of Ferré on September 25, following the designer's sudden death in June. Nilsson was expected to present his first collection for the house in two weeks' time in Milan.

Neither Nilsson nor executives of IT Holding S.p.A, the Italian parent company of Ferré, could be reached for further comment.

While a new creative direction will be named after the Milan show, sources say Ferré chief executive officer Michela Piva, a five-year veteran of Ferré who was promoted to chief executive in November, has already confirmed a new designer, adding that the individual is not an American. The fall collection, meanwhile, has been taken over by two in-house Ferré designers.

The news sent a ripple effect through the front row at the Donna Karan show, where many editor-in-chiefs and key fashion critics learned of the news.

"We keep having those false starts," said the International Herald Tribune's Suzy Menkes. "I think maybe creative designers and corporate management just cannot see eye to eye. I don't know how you can expect to have the perfect collection in one season. I feel sad for [the state of] fashion."

Added Harper's Bazaar editor-in-chief Glenda Bailey, "I'm very sad because Lars is immensely talented. I hope this is not a trend. I'm looking forward to a new announcement." Anne Christensen was equally shocked. "Why so fast?" wondered the T: The New York Time Style Magazine's women's fashion director. "They had named such a great team and to chop it off now is really going to hurt the label." Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour expressed a similar sentiment. "We're very surprised but I don't have any information," she said.

Fabien Baron, who in January was named the external art director of the Ferré brand, confirmed that his post will go on. "I heard things weren't going the right way, but I didn't know it was going to go that far," he told Fashion Week Daily at the Donna Karan show. Baron's role at Ferré remains unchanged. He will continue to oversee all creative services, point of sales opportunities, store design, and areas associated with image and brand building.

Tensions mounted in recent weeks at the Ferré studio in Milan, where Nilsson was said to be behind schedule in preparing the collection. "He got overwhelmed and realized it was too big a responsibility for him," said one industry insider. "The position made him very insecure." Adding fuel to the fire was Piva's alleged reaction to Nilsson's pace. As of last week, he was said to have only completed a handful of pieces. "This is a company that takes fashion very seriously because it's a big business," said an industry executive. "At the end of the day, Lars was not a right fit and it was too big a fish for him to fry."

Nilsson, who has worked in fashion since leaving his native Sweden at age 18, was the first outside creative director at the house started in 1978 since its founder Ferré passed away. He assumed responsibility for all the men's and women's clothing and accessories collections. He made his official debut in January with the presentation of a men's collection, and was expected to follow in suit with a women's collection later this month.

A graduate of Paris's École de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture, he interned in the tailoring atelier at Chanel Haute Couture before going to Christian Lacroix, where he remained for nine years, becoming senior haute couture designer. From 1997 to 1999 he worked with John Galliano at Dior as coordinator of both the haute couture studio and the fur collections, before moving to New York where he was design director for the Polo Ralph Lauren women's wear collection. From 2000-03 he was creative director of Bill Blass Collection, before returning to Paris to helm Nina Ricci where he was creative director from 2003 to 2006.

"I'm thrilled and honored to be joining Gianfranco Ferré, a house with a powerful legacy," Nilsson said upon joining the company. "I feel very inspired by Mr. Ferré's imprint on fashion and strong architectural sensibility. I look forward to working with the Gianfranco Ferré house to take it to the next level and help cement its standing as an esteemed and globally recognized luxury company."

At the time of the appointment, Tonino Perna, chairman of Gianfranco Ferré S.p.A. and its parent company, IT Holding S.p.A, said: "Lars Nilsson is a world-class talent fully able to continue the creative development of the brand made immortal by Gianfranco Ferré. His sartorial approach to fashion design, the style he has developed and defined over the years, will prove instrumental in following the path of creative research which has always distinguished the work of Gianfranco Ferré."

thanks UNIQ and MMA!

seems rather sudden...
like suzy mentions, expecting a perfect first collection is unrealistic.

nilsson's previous employment history certainly suggests he would have been able to handle the work load.
it seemed like the appropriate 'next step' for someone with his experience.
surely something else was a factor...

I thought about this, and after a while it became clear that I'd much rather see a new collection by Nilsson than by Ferré. But maybe thats just me.

I knw, of course that Ferré is a big brand and there are investors and such, so they need to keep this running, but still... I can't help but wonder...

Is Ferré that necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->