Nouveau Norell

stylegurrl

Reaction score
I went back 9 pages and couldn't find anything on this. I hope it isn't a double post :blush:

Fashion Week daily-Photo of new collection

Nouveau Norell
Fashion fairy-tale: Luxe-brand resurrected

NEW YORK - Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Some of the most knowledgeable fashion insiders don’t know the name Norman Norell, but there are a slew of reasons why they should. He designed purely for American women and they loved him for it; in his 50s heyday he dressed fashion icons like Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and Doris Day. As a fashion trailblazer, he had a world of firsts under his belt; he was the first designer to be awarded a fashion Oscar, and it’s a safe bet your granny spritzed on his Revlon fragrance, the first ever designer perfume, launched in 1968. Additional accolades include a Coty American Fashion Critics Award, in 1943 and when Dior bought Norell's triangle coat, he announced it "Coat of the year."

When Norell died in 1972, his name seemed to fall off the fashion map and it indeed lay dormant until a fashion illustrator student by the name of Patrick Michael Hughes decided to do his thesis on Norell a few years back.

The story reads like fairy tale; Hughes ended up resurrecting the company and now serves as its creative director. Hughes’s first show for Norell last season was a runway success and this season the John Barret salon at Bergdorf Goodman will host his show, the first ever in the space.

The Daily caught up with the 38-year-old designer and Parsons lecturer to see what he has in store for Norell and to get to the bottom of his love of roller disco.

How did you go from doing your thesis to being the designer of Norell?
I am very thorough in my research and when I discovered the trademark had been abandoned, me and my partner, John Gomes, started working on acquiring it. It turned out to be less difficult than we had thought.

How did you approach designing the collection?
I am very respectful of Norell and was determined to keep his strong signatures but to reinterpret them for today. For this season, 14th and 15th century proportions inspired me. It was an exciting time, all about armor and décolleté; the bodices are inspired by armory. Some of my key pieces are in pistachio silk, Swiss cotton and a stain finish silk organza with mother of pearl and clear sequins. Very ethereal and sheer; you think it’s nude and you can see something but you can’t. I am also having a black and white moment in there.

How has the response been to Norell?
Very, very positive. Michael Fink and Joan Kaner in particular were very supportive in telling what they liked, what worked. It was exactly what I wanted to hear; you need that kind of constructive feedback.

Describe your design style
I am not one for the dress slashed to the navel. I don’t think any woman should be taped up or wondering what is going to fall out. I think it’s sexier to see a shoulder, a back, and a neck. I want people to sit down to a banquet dinner or move around a party without any fear of things moving out of place or being exposed.

Where do you see Norman Norell going?
Hard question, I obviously have a love of the label and its heritage so I suppose it is to stay true to it and design worthy collections.

Tell us about your other love…roller-skating
I use classic 4-wheel skates; it’s a great release and pastime. I skate in Central Park in the ring or at the Roxy. The Roxy used to have a really great Tuesday night with disco. Disco has the right tempo to skate to but they moved it to a Wednesday so it’s more rough neck. I sometimes wear a little Norell t-shirt and do the jumps and everything.
TANYA JENSEN

i remember norman norell...that kid is smart...unbelievably smart...he may go far...

and i love roller disco...

Wow I almost posted this myself. I read it the other day. Guy is really smart!!!!
The stuff is not too bad either, it looks well made anyway. Good for him. I wish I had some money to get some peoples names:
Charles James if I did couture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->