Numéro China #3 November 2010 : Sasha Pivovarova by Greg Kadel

the styling and overall look of ming's editorial are giving me bladerunner vibes. never a bad thing in my book. :smile:

fantastic editorials!!! I hope I'll be able to find it in Spain though

I was still counting on Numero China to FINALLY be a Chinese (Or should I say East Asian) fashion publication to feature East Asian Models on EVERY of their cover. So I painstakingly searched and purchased COPIES of #1 and #2, and was thinking that #3 will help form a collection of East Asian beauty covers for me. This is SUCH a DISAPPOINTMENT.

Haven't other publications such as VN and Numero Korea been excessively featuring Western faces? And so now Numero China is jumping on the bandwagon too?? I just wonder why East Asians cannot love themselves more, and learn to appreciate their own beauty. Isn't there any ONE single Chinese fashion magazine that sticks to East Asian models (celebrities aside)?!

When Numero China #1 came out I told myself that if subsequent issues were to feature Western faces on their covers, I'm not gonna continue buying it. I will still buy this issue even though it hurts to do so, but because I'm counting on the 4th not to disappoint.

Honestly though, it's pretty shallow to think that because the magazine is meant for an Asian audience, then it must always feature East Asian models.

Honestly though, it's pretty shallow to think that because the magazine is meant for an Asian audience, then it must always feature East Asian models.

Really? That's like saying it's really shallow to think American Vogue is meant for an American audience. Or Vogue Russia is meant for a Russian audience. Why wouldn't you cater to your audience? The majority of a magazine's sales come from its respective country.

^
1.Yes, it makes sense to cater one's audience, but that doesn't mean the magazine can only give covers to models from that one particular country. Of course magazinese choose models that would appeal to the main targeted audience, but I can't think of 1 magazine publication in the world that has only featured models belonging to the group which describes the main targeted audience.
2.Ash92 said:
it's pretty shallow to think that because the magazine is meant for an Asian audience, not that using Asian models itself is shallow.
3. I remember Gemma used to be ridiculously popular in Japan. She's not Asian, but that doesn't mean the Japanese audience didn't love her.

My problem (and I'm assuming Racoon55 feels the same) is that it is a rarity to see a model of color on a magazine at all. You would think that since it is a Chinese magazine they would choose to celebrate Asian beauty rather than caucasian/westernized beauty. I'm not saying there should be no white models on Numero China at all, but it is troubling when you have a magazine like Vogue Nippon for instance which featured no models of Asian descent this year on their covers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's ridiculous to act like there are no Asian magazines which almost exclusively feature Asian models though.

^But no one is trying to claim that...

The point is, when it comes to well-known/mainstream fashion publications such as Numero and Vogue it is a true rarity to see models of color on covers. Why else was the Black issue of Vogue Italia such a big deal? I applaud Numero China for featuring a large amount of Asian models, and I certainly don't expect one magazine to set an example. The lack of diversity is just something to think about.

I could say more, but I don't want to derail the discussion anymore. :lol:

beautifully said thankyouhon. I agree as well. which is why I was so happy to see Liu on the cover of the first edition

^But no one is trying to claim that...

The point is, when it comes to well-known/mainstream fashion publications such as Numero and Vogue it is a true rarity to see models of color on covers. Why else was the Black issue of Vogue Italia such a big deal? I applaud Numero China for featuring a large amount of Asian models, and I certainly don't expect one magazine to set an example. The lack of diversity is just something to think about.

I could say more, but I don't want to derail the discussion anymore. :lol:

Look at back issues of Vogue India, China, and Taiwan. They do (generally) put models of colour on their covers. The problem with lack of diversity would be more relevant to magazines published in North America and Europe.

I don't think it's fair to give up on Numero China when they've put ONE white model on it so far, and on their third issue no less. It's a high fashion magazine and I don't see a problem with straying from their local group of models every once in a while. Also, using a model like Sasha might catch the attention of more readers and buyers, which is what a new magazine wants. If using one white model now will allow them to get a larger readership base and introduce more people to local models and eventually lead to them using more local models, then more power to them. I don't see the problem yet. It's not like Vogue Nippon, Numero Tokyo, or Numero Korea where it's almost exclusively white models... yet.

Yes, perhaps we shouldn't expect an Asian magazine to exclusively feature Asian models, but I agree that it is indeed a rarity to see a model of colour on a magazine, especially for a newly launched magazine. As consumers (at the lower end of the hierarchy), we expect these gatekeepers (at the upper end of the hierarchy) to lead the way and constantly push boundaries and barriers, either to entertain or to contribute to fashion. If these leading people often fall back into the same direction threaded so many times before, or are unable to constantly steer towards innovative directions, then of course we would feel something, and that’s what this forum is about isn’t it.

And it is true that it is unfair to give up on Numero China just because they’ve placed one white model on the cover, and in their third issue at that. But I just wonder that shouldn’t the creation of new things be a source of pride, or a goal, especially when this is the field of fashion we are talking about here. I did not even speak of the reprints. Maybe such is a trait of the Numero magazine and furthermore Numero China is new.

I am not even complaining that there are no Asian magazines which almost exclusively feature Asian models. Vogue and Harper's Bazaar Taiwan and China have featured East Asian models before, but it is often bland and disappointing to see that the cover girl is being styled in a way that appeals to the masses (something that is safe, in other words). What I appreciate is that East Asian models are being styled, portrayed or captured in a different light that inspires. I personally feel that #2 is more inspiring than #3, or maybe even #1, because Gao wasn’t captured under the stereotypical light of Asian beauty (fair skin, phoenix eyes and cherry lips usually portrayed by models such as Hye and Han, and note Du Juan’s editorial in #2) but instead in a more sexual way, with breasts and darker skin which is somewhat reminiscent of a sexy black woman, and still fashionable.

This is what I call innovative and pushing boundaries, creating new things that inspires and question. Beauty should be diverse. Isn’t that what fashion is all about?

I was still counting on Numero China to FINALLY be a Chinese (Or should I say East Asian) fashion publication to feature East Asian Models on EVERY of their cover.
Yes, perhaps we shouldn't expect an Asian magazine to exclusively feature Asian models

Well, it seems as if your arguments are going back and forth, to suit whatever standpoint you're trying to make.

Anyways, let's leave this argument at the fact that:

1) Yes, Numero China is not going to exclusively use Chinese models for their covers.

2) The usage of Caucasian models may end up opening up newer market for the magazine, thus bringing in more sales revenue.

3) The editors have what they have in mind, and thus , Expectations -> Disappointment.

Leather Legend
Ph: John-Paul Pietrus
St: Tim Lim
M: Juliana Imai

my scans

are those sandals alaïa in the 2nd shot? (sorry i can't read chinese:doh:)

^ wow, this is a beautiful ed. the stark contrast is very eyecatching.

you're welcome ^_^yes, it's Céline. Next page is alaïa

thx kasper!

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you both:smile: now that you said it i realized alaia was probably in the next page!
love those sandals.

Sorry *ana*, my English is not good
sandals is Céline, Next page, leather jacket is Burberry, wool leather boots, is alaïa:flower:

Snow White
Ph: Mei Yuan Gui
St: Joseph Carle
M: Grace Gao

my scans

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back