Ohne Titel F/W 08.09 NYC

tricotineacetat

Reaction score
Very surprised this collection had not yet been posted... :o

Review from Style.com:

NEW YORK, February 3, 2008 – Alexa Adams and Flora Gill have been paying close attention to the presidential primaries. Watching Hillary Clinton's race to be the first female to hold the highest office in the land, they got to thinking about "how suits relate to women."

"It's so easy to overlook the idea of what actually feels empowering and comfortable to women," Gill said. "It doesn't have to be a dress."

And the duo did deliver sophisticated, modern suits, in monochrome royal blue, camel, and red. Unfortunately, these were highly reminiscent of the ones they showed in their debut collection for Spring, and that dulled their impact somewhat. They also indulged, at times, in too much of a good thing, as with the manic head-to-toe jacquard knits. They did better with the furlike hand-knits and the print dresses, which stood out with intricate piping, smocking, and draped details. It's only natural that Adams and Gill, having just one season under their belt, are still finding their voice.

– Laird Borrelli-Persson

00010m.jpg
00020m.jpg

00030m.jpg
00040m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Than you for the thread. :flower: I wish it were more popular! Personally I am so in love with this look I don't know what to do with myself...

00160m.jpg

something familiar with the jacquard .. fabric motifs, embroideries.. like i've seen them before
maybe some sort of ethnic motif

some lovely cuts and the way the pieces are sewn together
thanks for posting this, tricotineacetat

^I agree. all the unicolored outfits are especially lovely. and the prints.. :shock:.. they've played with fire here but it's turned out beautifully.. all of it. they've chosen their palette so carefully, it's very elegant. definitely one of the highlights of NY, if not the entire season. :heart:

thanks for posting, tricotineacetat.!

I agree this is a very strong second show they have put together here... I like how they sort of stick to their guns, developing the suits and the knits further, rather than to jump into a totally different concept the season after... I already find their style very recognizable, which I think is great for 'young designers' as them.

I also really like the big shawl-collared overcoat that you posted, cestmagique, as well as the big, fringed multicolour knit jackets in post #5 and the multicoloured jacquard-knits, which however, need being broken down to separates, rather than being worn with a matching long skirt/knit dress in the same texture.

It really goes back to buying strong, individual pieces, rather than having to tap into the whole thing to make the clothes 'work' for you (giving a nod to Rad Hourani, who's look I really like, but who's garments I really can't see working separately, unlayered)

I am sure this collection is still gonna stick out at the end of the shows as one of the strongest of the season in comparison with other emerging designers.

I agree.
Their aesthetic is very distinct... :heart:
The beginning and the end are most noteworthy, imo...
The middle is 'just so', rly...

Their prints are so fascinating...
Ethnic bits combined with abstract bits... :woot:
The knits are absolutely riveting...

I enjoy this much more than their spring debut...

this show was pretty awful for the most part..
and while some things look better in person..this actually looked worse...

bad fits -unflattering silhouettes and way too much pattern made this a big snore...
i think people stopped paying attention about 1/3 of the way through the show...

too bad- because they managed to get some important editors to the show based on a strong showing last season...
unfortunately this simply did not measure up...

:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beese
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->