Older Fashion Designers, still Working for Someone Else ... What is their Future?

Ghinzu

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this - What does a regular fashion designer in a house (not a creative director or such) does when he hits his 40ies or even 50ies?

Apparently, not everybody has a nerve or ambition (or just wants to keep low profile) to become a creative director or start their own label, but then, what do those people do? Isn't it a bit strange to work as a regular designer at that age?

I'd be glad to listen to your thoughts on this.

I don't think it's strange at all, as you said not everybody has the ambition to be head designer of a big house. It may be weird or mediocre but I understand that, the mind of a designer is pretty much the same as an artist, most of them enjoy working backstage then having their creations take the front page,s not themselves. But that's not what you see nowadays though, most designers are now celebrities and work the camera like any model would.

I guess some designers are more business driven or they like being celebrities, for example since Project Runway started now everybody wants to be a designer to be on tv and dress themselves.

But there are still some designers out there that like to remain anonymous or that's the nature of their business, like the clothes you see on Walmart for instance, they didn't just appear, they were designed by someone, not famouse, not a celebrity at all, no fashion show, just sitting there at Walmart but trust me they outsell most french houses, that's for sure.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind fo designer I want to be. I'm very business driven and I'm not camera shy but I think that unless you are an overnight success, you'll have to work your way to the top and it may take years if you are aiming to Paris or similar.

Point is, that what if as you say, you hit the 40's or 50's and success hasn't come to your door? What if you're still waiting for your chance to be the new (insert current hip designer here)?? Would you sette for just a good business like designing for a chain store? or would you wait for your chance to the big leagues?

I would think it's just like a lot of professsions. It's a job ... it pays the rent. And if it's in an industry you like, that's better than most people get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->