What is the role of a Fashion Coordinator?

taj76

Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone can shed some light on the role of a Fashion Coordinator of a publication? I am wondering because I recently accepted a position as a coordinator, but I am finding that I am butting heads with the editor as there does not seem to be a clear direction as to what their expectations are. i.e creative direction

i cant answer your question about a fashion co-ordinator but did you not at any point receive guidance as to your specific work duties and/or responsibilities with this new job.?

i'm sure the role of 'fashion co-ordinator' is going to differ from workplace to workplace depending on their specific focus, other related roles, size of the business, etc. so rather than relying on our definitions, i'd suggest perhaps bringing your concern up with the HR manager or someone within the business who is responsible for making clear your responsibilities and their expectations.! you should not be having to 'guess' which tasks + responsibilities belong to you and which belong to the editor. :unsure:

i would most definitely be raising this issue if i were you...:shock:

were there not guidelines/specific duties/responsibilities outlined to you at any point during your recruitment and/or interview processes?.

Based on the wording alone ... I would say that a fashion coordinator is less of a creative and in charge person and more of a production assistant. Someone who just needs to keep things flowing and to deal with whatever arises ... based on what the editor needs. Someone who must make sure that things and people are where they need to be when they need to be there. But that could be way off base ... magazines have a way of using fancy names that don't really say what the individual does.

Adore is right ... they should be able to lay out your specific job responsibilities and what is expected from you.

I thought I had heard that term come up lately... and I found it. It was a link that someone had provided when they were looking at Fashion Merchandising ... which is something totally different.

And I am way off base ... at least if this is correct information ... here's what they say it is:

source: Fashion-schools.org
Coordinator

Also called: Fashion Director

Job Description: Fashion Coordinators are responsible for creating a unified look and feel across all fashion divisions of a department store, design house, or fashion magazine. They are constantly monitoring industry publications and talking to designers in order to understand industry trends and keep up with the latest in fabric and textile development. Fashion directors need to assess the potential success of a garment or clothing line and determine the best plan for promotion and marketing. Fashion coordinators then share their analyses with retail salespeople and/or editors to guide them in making customer recommendations, and they also share their analysis with buyers to guide them in making inventory purchases.
Additional responsibilities of a fashion coordinator may include organizing fashion parades, supervising fashion photography shoots for promotions, and serving as a middleman with fabric mills, suppliers, and wholesalers to ensure that things are on schedule and colors, designs, and textiles are according to plan. Long hours and frequent travel are part of the job.

Salary Range: $40,000 to $100,000
Fashion Coordinators for smaller companies may receive between $40,000 to $60,000
Fashion Coordinators for larger companies receive up to $100,000+

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know if anyone can shed some light on the role of a Fashion Coordinator of a publication? I am wondering because I recently accepted a position as a coordinator, but I am finding that I am butting heads with the editor as there does not seem to be a clear direction as to what their expectations are. i.e creative direction

Hi, I can't answer your question but I've got one for you, How did you do to get that job??? Did you study something special? or did you just sent your cv? Where did you send your CV?
You see, I would love to work in a magazine or a showroom beging fashion coordinator but I don't know how to do it, I don't know if I need any studies to get that kind of job? Or I don't know, something else, D you mind to explain me???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!

P.D: Sorry for my english I'm Spanish

funny thing about it is, I am a stylist and I was hired to manage the fashion section of the publication, they were wondering as to what my title should be and felt this would be the best title. I basically forecast trends and do editorials, (photoshoots, off figure styling etc.)

My ultimate goal is to be a Fashion Editor one day but I have been in the industry for about 3 years and thought this would be a great way to build my resume and port, giving the fact I was going to be published.

But I am starting feel like there should be a title change, but not wanting to step on the editors toes by asking.

Just looking for some opinions here

Hi, I can't answer your question but I've got one for you, How did you do to get that job??? Did you study something special? or did you just sent your cv? Where did you send your CV?
You see, I would love to work in a magazine or a showroom beging fashion coordinator but I don't know how to do it, I don't know if I need any studies to get that kind of job? Or I don't know, something else, D you mind to explain me???

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!

P.D: Sorry for my english I'm Spanish

How did I get the job, dumb luck a friend of mine referred me to the publication

funny thing about it is, I am a stylist and I was hired to manage the fashion section of the publication, they were wondering as to what my title should be and felt this would be the best title. I basically forecast trends and do editorials, (photoshoots, off figure styling etc.)

My ultimate goal is to be a Fashion Editor one day but I have been in the industry for about 3 years and thought this would be a great way to build my resume and port, giving the fact I was going to be published.

But I am starting feel like there should be a title change, but not wanting to step on the editors toes by asking.

Just looking for some opinions here

i cant answer your question about a fashion co-ordinator but did you not at any point receive guidance as to your specific

work duties and/or responsibilities with this new job.?

i'm sure the role of 'fashion co-ordinator' is going to differ from workplace to workplace depending on their specific focus, other related roles, size of the business, etc. so rather than relying on our definitions, i'd suggest perhaps bringing your concern up with the HR manager or someone within the business who is responsible for making clear your responsibilities and their expectations.! you should not be having to 'guess' which tasks + responsibilities belong to you and which belong to the editor. :unsure:

i would most definitely be raising this issue if i were you...:shock:

were there not guidelines/specific duties/responsibilities outlined to you at any point during your recruitment and/or interview processes?.

fashion co-ordinator is not a job that magazines have...
they have fashion asst and fashion editor...
are you an asst?...and that is just a fancy name you created for it...?
because there really isn't a fashion co-ordinator...
pick up any magazine and look at the masthead and i dare you to find that title...

there is also the closet person- who manages the fashion closet and the samples...
that is the most like a co-ordinator...
but that is even below the fashion asst...

so...you have a title for a job that doesn't exist...
no wonder you are confused...i would be too..

:P

Hi Softgrey,

I am not a fashion assistant, it is actually a job title and yes its a title in some publications, if you haven't come across it, then I understand. But asking if I created the fancy name is ridiculous.

I am asking a general question, if you do not understand it, don't respond to it, I am merely just looking for an opinion. I am a stylist. The publication I work for is pretty small and I was hired to do a Fashion Editor job the Editor felt she had to create a small title, i guess it is their lack of understanding. I just do not want to be the one to them this title is not suited, as i feel the editor might be insulted.

I am just trying to network and build up my portfolio, I feel that the title should be changed as a huge percentage of my job is styling. I am just seeking advice as to how to approach a subject in which I feel, my job title does not suit my duties.

fashion co-ordinator is not a job that magazines have...
they have fashion asst and fashion editor...
are you an asst?...and that is just a fancy name you created for it...?
because there really isn't a fashion co-ordinator...
pick up any magazine and look at the masthead and i dare you to find that title...

there is also the closet person- who manages the fashion closet and the samples...
that is the most like a co-ordinator...
but that is even below the fashion asst...

so...you have a title for a job that doesn't exist...
no wonder you are confused...i would be too..

:P

taj76 said:
I feel that the title should be changed as a huge percentage of my job is styling. I am just seeking advice as to how to approach a subject in which I feel, my job title does not suit my duties.

taj...this seems to be more the question you're asking...
rather than asking what a fashion co-ordinator actually does [because it seems most of us have no idea and have never even come across the term...]

firstly...if the problem is simply that the title itself is strange, i wouldnt worry..it's just a title and i think most people engage in roles and responsibilities that dont 'technically' fall under their strict job title..

however..if, as you said, you are actually unclear about what it is you're supposed to be doing and you feel that you're butting heads with the editor, i think you need to bring it up with someone [as suggested before]....it sounds like your job consists mostly of styling and trend forecasting....right?...i dont know enough about fashion careers to know if there is a proper job title that combines these two roles...if there is, i'd suggest that that is actually what you're doing at this magazine and that's what you need to suggest to them....if there isn't such a job, perhaps you need to carry out the roles and responsibilities of a stylist [because it sounds like this is what you're comfortable with and most likely what they hired you as] and then perform the extra duty of trend forecasting...

in what way are you actually butting heads with the editor?...

as for how to approach the subject, personally i would go straight to the person who can help you here...i probably wouldnt go to the editor first...although maybe you could....tell him/her that there seems to be an overlap somewhere and you just dont want to step on any toes...could someone please outline exactly what it is you need to be doing so that you dont rub anyone the wrong way....i think as long as you are straight forward, polite and have humility, no-one will be offended....you're not asking to become the editor...you're just asking to be put in your place.!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you adorefaith, your advice is very much appreciated, I will take your suggestions into consideration. :P:D

taj...this seems to be more the question you're asking...
rather than asking what a fashion co-ordinator actually does [because it seems most of us have no idea and have never even come across the term...]

firstly...if the problem is simply that the title itself is strange, i wouldnt worry..it's just a title and i think most people engage in roles and responsibilities that dont 'technically' fall under their strict job title..

however..if, as you said, you are actually unclear about what it is you're supposed to be doing and you feel that you're butting heads with the editor, i think you need to bring it up with someone [as suggested before]....it sounds like your job consists mostly of styling and trend forecasting....right?...i dont know enough about fashion careers to know if there is a proper job title that combines these two roles...if there is, i'd suggest that that is actually what you're doing at this magazine and that's what you need to suggest to them....if there isn't such a job, perhaps you need to carry out the roles and responsibilities of a stylist [because it sounds like this is what you're comfortable with and most likely what they hired you as] and then perform the extra duty of trend forecasting...

in what way are you actually butting heads with the editor?...

as for how to approach the subject, personally i would go straight to the person who can help you here...i probably wouldnt go to the editor first...although maybe you could....tell him/her that there seems to be an overlap somewhere and you just dont want to step on any toes...could someone please outline exactly what it is you need to be doing so that you dont rub anyone the wrong way....i think as long as you are straight forward, polite and have humility, no-one will be offended....you're not asking to become the editor...you're just asking to be put in your place.!

The article that I posted ... which does state that a "fashion coordinator" is sometimes found in magazines ... is from a Canadian site ... and I see that you are in Canada too. That might be the source of our confusion ... since most of us are in the States. Perhaps you will find that term in the masthead of Canadian magazines but not elswhere ... a possibility.

Yes you are correct, you do find this title in some canadian publications, thank you along with others for acknowledging this your respect is much appreciated ^_^

The article that I posted ... which does state that a "fashion coordinator" is sometimes found in magazines ... is from a Canadian site ... and I see that you are in Canada too. That might be the source of our confusion ... since most of us are in the States. Perhaps you will find that term in the masthead of Canadian magazines but not elswhere ... a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->