On Fashion Shows

Originally posted by mikeijames@Jun 16th, 2004 - 11:18 am
he simply doesn't use his runway presentations as image vehicles for the entire brand-base like dior does.

i see nautical draw string pants on armani's runway, i'm calling my girl at armani and pre-ordering...not the same at dior, you actually have to wait until the stuff hits the store before deciding on clothes.
i think that galliano uses the runway show as global advertising and armani is still sort of stuck in the old-school idea that a show is for press and buyers and a few 'friends and VIP's'...

that may have been true for years and years...but now that shows are projected worldwide on the internet a few minutes to a few hours after the spectacle...runways serve a different purpose...

the buyers and editors are all going for private appointments to view the collection anyway...

and mike...you can absolutely pre-order galliano from the trunk shows and from photos..like the ones chanel-girl posted...

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 16th, 2004 - 11:44 am

alternative stagings (see Perry Ellis), videos, projections and 'intimate' presentations are much more modern outlining the look of things to come.

i have to say...i've been to the perry ellis presentation...and i LOVED it...partly because it was so democratic...

none of the political drama of who's seated in which row, etc etc...everyone just walked around...and you could also go at your own pace...more like a gallery exhibit...very very civilized...i would definitley like to see more of that...but i also think it was appropriate to the collection...a sort of casual elegance...maybe not so appropriate for something more dramatic...

there's nothing like a billow of silk floating down the runway.... :flower:

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 16th, 2004 - 5:44 pm
...runways serve a different purpose...

the buyers and editors are all going for private appointments to view the collection anyway...

and mike...you can absolutely pre-order galliano from the trunk shows and from photos..like the ones chanel-girl posted...
so true..

thats why i'm quite critical of the big production circus aka Dior etc..
i mean what's the point?
free Press? with all the money LVMH throws in advertisment they shouldnt need
their $$$$ on circus performances in order to put their name on the map ...

for me shows should act as showrooms of the 'total' look
since the showroom dates have been pushed so early back
(its July for the ss collections) i can't see the use in shows,
much more those of the extravagant kind.

(there is an older topic on the future of fashion shows lurking around in FS designers& collections section )

Originally posted by softgrey+Jun 16th, 2004 - 5:49 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jun 16th, 2004 - 5:49 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lena@Jun 16th, 2004 - 11:44 am

alternative stagings (see Perry Ellis), videos, projections and 'intimate' presentations are much more modern outlining the look of things to come.

i have to say...i've been to the perry ellis presentation...and i LOVED it...partly because it was so democratic...

none of the political drama of who's seated in which row, etc etc...everyone just walked around...and you could also go at your own pace...more like a gallery exhibit...very very civilized...i would definitley like to see more of that...but i also think it was appropriate to the collection...a sort of casual elegance...maybe not so appropriate for something more dramatic...

there's nothing like a billow of silk floating down the runway.... :flower: [/b][/quote]
i absolutely agree, the Perry Ellis show was my fave 'mainstream' presentation from last season, and i'm not talking only NY catwalks, it was such a great idea :heart:

...runways serve a different purpose...

thats why i'm quite critical of the big production circus aka Dior etc..
i mean what's the point?
free Press?
not exactly free...can you believe how much money the 'megabrands' spend on their shows?!?... :blink: :shock:

:lol: i know i know, was just trying to be :innocent: ironic (guess i'm not too good at this)

i'd say scrap the shows, they've been around too long and while you are at it, lets also scrap the seasonal collections.

anarchy in fashion NOW, lets go guerilla :P

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 16th, 2004 - 11:44 am

*softgrey, are all these quotes from older issues of wwd?
because i havent seen anything on this at today's issue :unsure:
they are from the WWD Magazine...fall '04...it's a glossy bound magazine that is a round up of the season... :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 16th, 2004 - 12:02 pm
:lol: i know i know, was just trying to be :innocent: ironic (guess i'm not too good at this)

i'd say scrap the shows, they've been around too long and while you are at it, lets also scrap the seasonal collections.

anarchy in fashion NOW, lets go guerilla :P
:woot: ...bring on the revolution....!!!... :mohawk:

there are WAY too many shows now anyway...i get this stack of invites and i'm like...
'who ARE these people?"...it's impossible to go to all of them and how do you know which ones to catch and which ones to avoid?...i think small press presentations are far better...

and again..more civilized...when i went to the shows in milan...i was horrified by the behaviour of some editors and buyers...pushing and shoving...yelling in all different languages and stomping their feet....it was revolting...certainly not the glamorous world of fashion one imagines...and from what i understand...paris can be even worse...i've avoided it for that reason...such a shame... :rolleyes:

i know exactly what you are talking about soft ...

I still find the Milano scene more rude than the Paris FW,
but most of all i hate the ..waiting before the shows, so much wasted time.
During my freelance (design sabbatical) days i've covered the shows more than once and it can be fun but only after every three seasons. :P
To be honest I much prefer watching the shows on line, so much less drama,
so much less waiting and running around town in the Syndicale bus...

can be quite tiring really and the shows last for only few minutes.
i mean what's the point when one can catch almost all the shows on line?
for most of the Press, fashion weeks are just a good reson to show up in new clothes FIRST
(which costs quite a lot ... puts us on the red for months, no? :lol: )

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 16th, 2004 - 12:30 pm

can be quite tiring really and the shows last for only few minutes.
i mean what's the point when one can catch almost all the shows on line?
for most of the Press, fashion weeks are just a good reson to show up in new clothes FIRST
(which costs quite a lot ... puts us on the red for months, no? :lol: )
it's EXHAUSTING!.... :wacko:

oh...and the DRAMA of what to wear... :ninja:
please!.... :yuk:
it's all about the bag and the shoes over here....

:lol:

I prefer installation presentations or films myself. Aesthetically and visually,I get more out of them...and they're so much more calmer than any catwalk show.

Originally posted by Scott@Jun 16th, 2004 - 1:18 pm
I prefer installation presentations or films myself. Aesthetically and visually,I get more out of them...and they're so much more calmer than any catwalk show.
and when the houses send you the latest shows on film, it does lend that certain sense of importance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillary Daniel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"