Optical Illusion Prints

TommyJJ

Reaction score
First of all I am not sure that this is the correct place to post this but I cant see where else I may do so here goes...

I am doing a project at college that requires me to look at optical illusion prints on clothes and I am having a very hard time finding any. Does anyone know of any collections that use such prints?

Thanks guys!

^Definitely Pugh. And I think a book called "Fashion Now" has a whole section on optical illusions...but I only think that that is the one, it might be another book.

Also check 1960s when OP ART was big...
I think maybe Mary Quant had it in some of her designs or one of the space age designers.

I have a tie/shirt combo from Jil Sander's last collection designing it herself.

MatchyMe120506.jpg

I just remembered... Prada had that in her spring 2006 collection. There were dresses that looked like they had pleats and collars from far away, although they were only painted. Prada also had that on a skirt in her fall collection, but it wasn't a print--they were metal beads shaped as cutlery and scissors and things, and from far away they look like flowers.
And castorpollux on the forum just got a coat by Costume National--under lighting it's grey with white stripes on it, but most of the time it looks like a black suit with a ribbed weave.

Definitely 'trompe l'oeil' like impercipience says...
You might like to research Eley Kishimoto. They're very big on prints
You might also check books on textiles in fashion... I saw a new one the other day at the library--can't remember the name though. Maybe "Fashion and Fabrics" ?

If I was asked this kind of question in school, I would wonder about optical illusion from my own vantage point. Rather than looking at how other people have played with fashion based on optical illusion, what does it mean to you? Forge something new! Is it an optical illusion to take objet trouvée, for example, and create hats? Some Dada artists did just that.

What trick of the eye illusion do you want to present?

I'd probably take a walk in the woods and come home with sticks and lichen and moss and seeds, and all sorts of things that catch my eye, spread out a big sheet and play like a kindergartener, creating an illusion of fashion from the forest. :lol:

^ooh that's right... It all depends on what you mean by optical illusion, what kind of illusion you're going for... either trompe l'oeil or what else.

There was a lot of art-inspired prints in 2006... Matthew Williamson made a garment with a goose print by the artist, Escher--and the print itself was an illusion on its own

in case someone doesn't know, objet trouvée means found object :wink:

lanvin did a lot of trompe l'oeil last winter... i'm not sure if those were prints though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
italop2
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->