Paltrow plans another unusual baby name

J

jml2

PALTROW PLANS ANOTHER UNUSUAL BABY NAME

Expectant parents GWYNETH PALTROW and CHRIS MARTIN are making lists of weird and wacky names for their new baby, so they can give it an even more unique moniker than their 21-month-old daughter APPLE.

Paltrow is due to give birth to the couple's second child later this year (06) - and the actress' mother BLYTHE DANNER reveals strange names is a family tradition.

MEET THE FOCKERS actress Danner says, "It is likely that Gwyneth's new child will have an equally uncommon name. We love unusual names in the family."

08/02/2006 09:11

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xml...ow plans another unusual baby name_08_02_2006

Oh well.
I actually don't mind Apple as a name either.

Though I'm sure this will cause a "moral problem" :rolleyes:

i know a girl named apple... i never saw why it was such a big deal

Apple isn't too weird of a name. Not nearly as bad as Kal-el Coppola Cage. I wish these parents would think about their kids chances on the playground while they're comming up with names.

The playgrounds where these kids are frequenting are full of other kids named clementines, and arthuros and figs and pears adn rain and sunshine and things like this.... no problem there! ^_^

Good for her - my RL name is an unusual one (never met anyone with it, seen a character in a book or movie sharing it) as is my sister's. My brothers have uncommon, but not unheard of names. I always loved not being Jennifer #12 (no joke, I would have been, 1978 was a popular year for naming your baby Jen :D or Heather #6 or Amanda #4 in my classes. My name is unique to me, and I've received nothing but compliments on it. Granted, as a very small child, I went to an alternative school with a Trune, Calliope, and Sunshine; but even in mainstream school, with the dozens of Stephanies and Jessicas and Hilarys (Hilaries?) I was never mocked. I hate this, in my opinion, fake concern, for oddly named children. "Ooooh, these poor kids, it's abuse, they'll be so terribly teased!". With one sole exception, in my entire life of as a student, my name was never mocked by anyone. Neither was my sister's. It's only as an adult that I hear other adults and teens snickering and making fun of children's names, and have to wonder if those that do are really worried about the supposed teasing the kids will receive or if they were jerks themselves as kids who made fun of others and are now gleefully continuing the tradition.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves :angry: I currently plan on naming my possible children traditional names, like James or Claire, but I adore my own unusual name, and don't know why strangers continually get bent out of shape over what someone else names their child. How does it possibly affect you? And so many don't realize that many "normal" names now were made up completely/based on mythology - overheard two ladies mocking one's 6 year old granddaughter, named Echo, coming up with cruel nicknames, laughing, and calling the mother dumb for choosing a classical mythological name - do you think they apply the same treatment to the Cassandras, Dianas, and Martins of the world? Why is Apple horrific and Violet sweet? Both are nature names. Who are you to arbitrarily decide what's okay? The beauty of names is like the beauty of faces - in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. You don't like untraditional names, don't name your child one. It's as simple as that.

I agree! The more unique the better. Shannyn Sossamon called her son Audio Science which seems awesome to me.

Apple never seemed odd to me anyway. In Hong Kong, there are literally thousands of girls who are called Apple! (they make up their own English names since most aren't born with one!) Just to list some of my friends' names: Hayda, Cherry, Blueberry, Moon, Oxon

Anastasia said:
Good for her - my RL name is an unusual one (never met anyone with it, seen a character in a book or movie sharing it) as is my sister's. My brothers have uncommon, but not unheard of names. I always loved not being Jennifer #12 (no joke, I would have been, 1978 was a popular year for naming your baby Jen :D or Heather #6 or Amanda #4 in my classes. My name is unique to me, and I've received nothing but compliments on it. Granted, as a very small child, I went to an alternative school with a Trune, Calliope, and Sunshine; but even in mainstream school, with the dozens of Stephanies and Jessicas and Hilarys (Hilaries?) I was never mocked. I hate this, in my opinion, fake concern, for oddly named children. "Ooooh, these poor kids, it's abuse, they'll be so terribly teased!". With one sole exception, in my entire life of as a student, my name was never mocked by anyone. Neither was my sister's. It's only as an adult that I hear other adults and teens snickering and making fun of children's names, and have to wonder if those that do are really worried about the supposed teasing the kids will receive or if they were jerks themselves as kids who made fun of others and are now gleefully continuing the tradition.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves :angry: I currently plan on naming my possible children traditional names, like James or Claire, but I adore my own unusual name, and don't know why strangers continually get bent out of shape over what someone else names their child. How does it possibly affect you? And so many don't realize that many "normal" names now were made up completely/based on mythology - overheard two ladies mocking one's 6 year old granddaughter, named Echo, coming up with cruel nicknames, laughing, and calling the mother dumb for choosing a classical mythological name - do you think they apply the same treatment to the Cassandras, Dianas, and Martins of the world? Why is Apple horrific and Violet sweet? Both are nature names. Who are you to arbitrarily decide what's okay? The beauty of names is like the beauty of faces - in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. You don't like untraditional names, don't name your child one. It's as simple as that.

I don't know about you, but I've never been introduced to an Apple before....

Seriously now, nobody here said to anyone what name they should call their kid...

In western culture naming your kid "Apple" sounds like you are trying a bit too hard to be original... and a bit pretentious... In other cultures I'm sure it's common...

But really, it's just that Paltrow is the way she is and it's impossible for people to resist a bit of teasing... it's not that anybody gives a s*** about how she's going to name her kid... she could name it Fillet-Mignon-With-Vegetables-On-The-Side Paltrow, for all I care... she will still be boring

Last edited by a moderator:
Purposely trying to come up with something wild... wacky... what have you... sounds silly to me. A name shouldn't be THAT hard to come up with. Choose something that you really feel for... :rolleyes:

Latin abbrieviations of degree titles is a new one to me. Oxon sounds better than Cantab though, I must admit...

Whilst there is nothing wrong with apple, Apple Martin sounds like some kind of dyslexic Mustelinae with an unfortunate inability to discern conifers from fruit trees.

:rofl: i have a weird name... other people have it, but i still had issues growing up..
but in hollywood, it seems a weird name would be the norm... so i guess it's not so weird for them? :blink:

I hope she names it Cheese. Cheese and Apple go so well together!

^Indeed they do..... hmmm...how about Cheddar? I think that's a lovely cheese with apple.

Yes, I love Cheddar with Apple...

Camembert might be nice... or Brie, but Brie is probably too pedestrian for Gwyneth's taste.

Anastasia said:

Sorry to dissapoint, but your name is actually very very common in russia and other territories of former ussr :innocent:

^Yeah...was gonna say......

Shorten the name and you get Stacey........about as normal as they come.....

TheFLUFFER said:
Sorry to dissapoint, but your name is actually very very common in russia and other territories of former ussr :innocent:

She said her "RL name" meaning her name in real life. Emphasizing that would lead me to believe it is different from her username. I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LKLA2024
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->