Perfect #0 : Hsien Ching by Zhong Lin

Royal-Galliano

völlig losgelöst
Reaction score
Gucci Is First to Bet Big on Katie Grand’s New ‘Perfect’ Magazine
The debut magazine from the stylist’s new content agency is centred around an audio and visual project created with the Italian luxury brand.

“Issue Zero” of Perfect, the magazine published by ex-Love editor Katie Grand’s new branded content agency, is out Monday. At 464 pages, the tome took nine weeks to print, said Grand. It’s less of a traditional fashion magazine and more of a thick, hardback coffee table book, weighing more than three kilograms.

The issue is centred around a multi-layered, music-focused collaboration with Italian mega-label Gucci. Each edition of 20,000 in total comes with a Flexi-disc vinyl recording by one of 11 musicians selected by Gucci designer Alessandro Michele and record producer Steve Mackey, as well as images of the featured musicians wearing the brand’s Spring and Pre-Fall 2021 collections. The issue is square, to recall a record sleeve.

The issue also contains content developed with Emporio Armani and Dior mixed in with editorial features and about 40 pages of traditional print advertising. Inside the issue, readers will find a fashion portfolio with Kate Moss, Ajok Madel, actor Kingsley Ben-Adir photographed by Rafael Pavarotti, a feature on TikTok star Dixie D’Amelio by photographer Jahmad Balugo, an essay by critic Bridget Foley and a portfolio of images of England in lockdown by Alasdair McLellan. Other contributors include photographer Rasharn Agyemang, writer Pierre A M’Pelé (aka Pam Boy), artist Laetitia Ky and photographer Trunk Xu.

The magazine will be distributed via Dover Street Market, select Gucci shops, specialty bookstores and online, selling for £35 ($48) in the UK.

Grand, a powerhouse stylist who consults for brands like Miu Miu and Marc Jacobs, founded Perfect last September, soon after walking away from Love, the magazine she founded with publisher Condé Nast in 2009. She took most of her Love team with her while adding collaborators like influencer Bryanboy and fashion director Jeanie Annan-Lewin.

“I’ve got a very good understanding of jumping from a design studio to a campaign to a content initiative,” said Grand. The pandemic, she added, had accelerated the shift away from fashion’s “formulised” approach to marketing, once dominated by seasonal campaigns in glossy magazines. “Now I think we’re in a world where, especially without fashion shows, it can literally go anywhere. So it can be a film, or it can be a box, or it can be a fanzine, or it can be a shirt.”

The shift began as brands followed consumers online and began thinking more like media companies themselves, developing their own digital content to publish in their own channels. In response, magazines have expanded the creative services they offer brands.

But Perfect flips the emphasis: it is a content agency first and a magazine second, with the flexibility to publish in a range of formats, from a book to a zine, with no fixed rhythm.

“The idea of a fixed format isn’t really valid anymore,” said Mackey, who is best known as the bass guitarist of British alternative rock band Pulp. Mackey worked with Michele to select the experimental pop musicians for the project — from Taiwanese hip hop artist Hsien Ching and French composer Angèle David-Gillou to British cellist Oliver Coates and Jamaican music collective Equiknoxx — who recorded live performances that will also be uploaded to YouTube.

To produce the imagery in the first issue, Perfect worked with a global network photographers and stylists in Moscow, Lagos, Jamaica, Berlin, and Tokyo, among other cities. The Malaysian photographer Zhong Lin shot Ching for the cover.

“It’s about treating imagery in a bit more of an exciting way,” said Annan-Lewin, contrasting the approach to a standard branded content shoot. “I think it exceeded everybody’s expectations.”

Perfect’s first brand partnership was a social media “takeover” for Valentino in September during its Spring 2021 runway show. Later, Grand worked with Fila on a capsule collection of apparel released for the holidays at Dover Street Market and then released a second collection with Italian sportswear brand during Milan Fashion Week in February. In February, Balmain enlisted Perfect to capture its new “Chocolat” handbag, completely covered in melted chocolate, for Balmain’s social media channels.

Perfect has upcoming projects with Isabel Marant, Valentino, Miu Miu, Brioni, Emporio Armani and Marc Jacobs. In April, the agency will launch a mentorship initiative for young designers with Tommy Hilfiger.
[businessoffashion.com]

Last edited:
Ezra will feel sme sort of way about this and it would be completely justified!

Oh hello another load of nepotism. We will see Kate Moss (i guess along with Lila), someone from social media with high rates (because we need this zoomer's audience badly), someone's daughter / son / sibling, perhaps someone's close to KT, because let's face it: independent or commercial, Katie Grand is always about mass market. And she is no longer having this instinct as most of editors, she lost it during few first years of LOVE magazine

They had me at Kate Moss and lost me at Dixie D’Amelio....Her fanbase is not other there buying a a $48 book.

I have high hopes for this and I still do, a new hardcover magazine/book in 2021 is exciting.

The format is incredible, I'm a sucker for a big hardcover fashion book but how exactly is this different than what she did at Love for the past couple of issues? The content looks similar from the video preview, so I don't understand why she felt the need to start a whole new project when she had nothing new to offer.

i'm so sick of these formats. there's no art in making yet another coffee table rubbish, is it? in this fast paced world, everything looks dated already before it leaves the press. so why bother.

Where's the promised Kate Moss feature? Didn't see any in the flip-through vid...

Pretty underwhelming honestly.

Just to see the Pamboy name tagged makes me not buying this. And yes the previews are not showing nothing we didn’t see in LOVE before....maybe it was a fight with CN and she needed to go. I don’t think she is easy to work with. Who knows

And the logo is so 90’s, there was a magazine with same typography logo, can’t remember the name...

I want to see the Dixie feature (The girl got bone structure and interesting facial features)

^^

Really love Edie's shot in that editorial!

A lot of the content is on their Instagram already.

funny how fresh rafael's photography feels at the moment. it won't take long before i start despising it for its overexposure though, i'm already on the verge, lol.

this format is so pointless, i seriously loathe the coffee table books. or zines like this with its pretentious artiness. they're heavy, expensive, take up too much space... i'm totally fine when a healthy fraction of these endless shoots emerge in mainstream titles. save the paper, for christ's sake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->