Pia Stanchina graduate collection

adorefaith

i'm almost ready..
Reaction score
i couldn't find a thread for Pia's work and i am so mesmerized by it that i feel compelled to post..:woot: i hope it isn't a re-post...please feel free to merge with another thread if there is one.

Pia is a graduate of central st. martin's and this is her graduate collection..

here's a bit about her and the pieces...i think they are remarkable, even more so considering the thought and energy that went into creating them and the philosophy behind them. :heart:

PIA STANCHINA stands for an approach to Design that takes its cue from Nature in more ways than one.
Nature uses what is readily available from her immediate surroundings to create, sustain and harbour life. A tree will draw on the minerals in the earth, the energy from the sun and the co2 in the air to grow and flourish, relying on the wind or animals to pollinate it, while in turn providing nourishment and shelter to manifold forms of life and playing a vital role in the balance of our atmosphere.

Compare this to the life cycle of a ‘simple’ everyday commodity such as a cotton and nylon t-shirt and it is shocking to see how many synthetic materials, toxic processes and how much unsustainable energy are employed to create it.

From the growth of cotton, to the various stages and different locations, the assembly processes will employ chemicals and toxins that are hazardous in their production, use and disposal to the health of the people who execute them as well as the environment. This is topped off by the relatively small price paid and the even shorter amount of time the t-shirt is worn, before ending in a landfill, where the cotton will take a short while, but the nylon will take 30- 40 years to biodegrade. All in all, the life-cycle of a t-shirt is a waste of resources that is not only irresponsible but unsustainable.

The PIA STANCHINA Collection aims to be the antidote to this waste of resources, using the most sustainable solutions for every step of the collection from the clothes to the packaging and marketing, while never forfeiting sophisticated, luxurious and contemporary design.
All materials are chosen for their sustainability, all fabrics are natural, organic where possible, or reused/ recycled. All colours are achieved with minimal impact dye and the print process was digital to save water, energy and dye.
The clothes are unlabelled, to encourage the wearer to integrate them into their wardrobe and own style, and forget about their original context.
The trousers come in two styles, with low- and high-waists, to ensure every woman can find the most flattering fit.
she mentions in a description of her collection that these clothes are made with "entirely Sustainable Materials and aim to fuse Sustainability and sophisticated Design in an entirely new way". All clothes by PIA STANCHINA. Photos by Thomas Giddings. Styling by Phoebe Arnold.

1212504346939123.jpg

1212504395980308.jpg

1212504410151711.jpg

1212504431128169.jpg

1212504435122608.jpg

1212504455619125.jpg
1212504470473474.jpg

notjustalabel.com

Last edited by a moderator:
excerpts from an article on the collection... from refinery29.com..

Delicate tops and skirts made of 100% silk appear to be constructed of oversize petals, tied with vine-like rope, and soft organic cotton pieces in muted tones lightly swathe the wearer, enhancing instead of overpowering. Though these pieces may seem earthy in nature, Stanchina has succeeded in marrying high style with eco-friendly resourcefulness.

Among her techniques, Stanchina uses digital fabric printing to avoid pollution, and incorporates biodegradeable, recycled zippers into her trousers. In addition to the collection's eco-conscious features, Stanchina has considered the wearer's needs as well. "To make my collection 'emotionally sustainable', too, I have made two styles of trousers —that come in high and low-waited each—so that each woman can find the style she finds most flattering and comfortable," she says.

Such thoughtful consideration for the wearer will no doubt bring Stanchina many female fans, but those who want to get their hands on the collection may have to wait a bit. "Since I have just graduated this week, I can not really call it a 'line' yet, and unfortunately, my pieces are one-offs…since I have no production facilities—yet," says Stanchina. But not to worry—a "very famous and fashion-forward" high street shop has already contacted her about creating a sustainable capsule collection.

i see only black sheep too ... :huh:

thread's fixed now :meow: !! images ready

beautiful materials,
thanks for the thread adorefaith
i like this painted, bluish organza piece..
i see there is no finishing on the edges, maybe she left it raw..

Last edited by a moderator:
dreamy....

immaculate cutting technique she has. and good for her trying some of the more interesting eco elements.

i'm sorry about the black sheep!, i had no idea..:ninja:

gius thank you very much for fixing it :magic: i am so pleased we worked it out..:heart:
i'm glad you guys enjoy her work, i think it's really beautiful too

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->