Pinko and Alessandra Facchinetti : Uniqueness

Flashbang

Mr. Magic
Reaction score
A new project and two famous names of Italian and international fashion: Alessandra Facchinetti is back on the scene with Pinko's Pietro Negra and is ready to launch a new ready-to-wear project, which wants to set the bar for a different approach to contemporary fashion with the help of technological innovations.

Uniqueness - this is the name of the brand - will be presented in Paris: it will feature a peculiar distribution system, with clothes for sale on Internet and in selected stores.

It's a no-season collection, based on the concept of immediateness, so important in our society.

"I'm thrilled to work on such an innovative and unconventional project, based on the freedom to give a personal interpretation of our time", says Facchinetti, who has worked with Gucci, Moncler and Valentino.

Pietro Negra adds: "The project puts the best technological and marketing innovations into practice: it symbolizes positive qualities recurring in Pinko's world which have never been expressed at such a high creative level."
vogue.it

it's kinda sad that Facchinetti had to end up working with such a non-high fashion house...

i hope to see her in high fashion soon again

How the hell did she manage to pass from Valentino to...Pinko?
It's like if Ghesquiere goes from Balenciaga to Zara :lol:
She must be desperate...poor her

how sad is that, I thought Olivier went from Nina Ricci to Theory could be the worst. now here is the new tragedy.

My first reaction was how sad that she's come to this. :(
But on second thoughts it's not like she's designing for Pinko...it seems like it's another thing altogether, just produced and backed by Pietro Negra of Pinko fame? Or will the name Pinko actually be associated with the official project name?...hmm...mixed feelings...

June 30, Vogue.com--

A welcome return to the fray for Alessandra Facchinetti, formerly of Gucci and Valentino, and now all raring to go with a new project called Uniqueness, launching this fall. Anyone who calls their label that is making rather grand claims, but Facchinetti’s inventive venture is, indeed, pretty darn unique. Here is how it will work: During the Paris spring 2012 shows later this year, she will present her debut collection, and then, a day later, it will be available online. No waiting months on end for the clothes to be delivered to the stores (even those of the e-commerce variety); it’s a show-now, click-to-buy-now concept, backed by Pinko’s Pietro Negra. (Pinko is an Italian high/fast fashion line.) And what’s Facchinetti going to be giving us? “Whatever I feel is right for the moment,” she said with a laugh over the phone from her Milan home. “It won’t be tied to a season, or to the idea of trends. It will be very selective, very edited. And I want it to be so that wherever you are in the world, you can wear it.”

That means, this first time around, outerwear classics—the parka, the caban, the men’s blazer—reworked in lighter, suits-all-climates fabrics (“If you want, you can wear heavier things underneath,” Facchinetti said, “or just an elegant shirt”) which includes the expected (cotton) and the less expected (a techno-polyester that she says can look like double-face satin, or like radzimir). These pieces will be supplemented with a few skirts and pants, and some simple, elegant shoes. There may be some bags later, there may not. The point is, Facchinetti said, for her to be instinctual—“A couple of months later, I’ll likely add something else”—and for Uniqueness to work with the rhythms of our lives, not the strictures of the fashion-industry timetable.

And then there are the prices. Facchinetti comes from the world of rarified design ateliers, with tags to match; here, the outlay will range from 90 to around 600 Euros. Still, it’s not the first time a designer has challenged herself to work in a new way with intriguing returns (consider Jil Sander’s +J for Uniqlo, yet not as inexpensive), and Facchinetti is thrilled to be experimenting with something she described as, “a chance to work in the new reality we are all in, a reality that is being driven by the Internet. It’s not like what I did before, or what I might do again, but it feels so right for now.”

Last edited by a moderator:
this is weird. i associate pinko with mariah carey who was in their ads a few years ago...:blink:

Me too I'd love to see Alessandra back to HF, but then again, I'm actually kind of excited how will it all turn out. And if she's as well, let's see.

Uniqueness.

Is that even a word? Really meaningless brand name.

Yeah it's really quite disappointing that such a talented woman has to find a job at Pinko. But at least she's doing something ^_^

I believe Pinko is serving as backer for this project. I don't think she is designing for them as much as she's creating a new brand that will be funded / owned by them. Much like how the same company that funds high street chain New Look, foots the bill for Valentino.

I don't see where getting paid to do the work you love and continuing to be a part of your industry is something to pity a person for. So it isn't the oh so elite Valentino, so what? Clearly they did not appreciate the fine work she did while there, so it is time for a fresh start. She has a chance to be a part of a project that is throwing out the outmoded seasonal fashion standard and attempting to respond to our culture of immediacy. Consumers want things 10 seconds after they see them on the runway and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more labels and designers adopting this format.

As for whether or not the project will be a success I will wait until I see the actual clothing. A talented designer should be able to create great clothing regardless of where they are situated. Alessandra's collections at Gucci and Valentino were compelling and I see no reason why here work for Uniqueness wouldn't follow suit.

That said, I do wish they'd chosen a brand name with a bit more pinache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Facchinetti's Return

Lauren Milligan

29 September 2011

0 comments

"FREEDOM," was Alessandra Facchinetti's simple answer when asked the best thing about launching her new Uniqueness label with Pinko. The former Gucci and Valentino helmer told us before her Paris Fashion Week return today that she was "excited" about the prospect of her first show in three years - but that didn't mean she was free of trepidation.

"Afraid," she laughed. "Mostly excited, but obviously afraid too. I feel confident - there's so much energy in the collection - and I'm really happy with what we've produced. I feel more relaxed than ever about the show - but still afraid!"

The collection - the most affordable Facchinetti has ever produced, by a fairly long way - is largely priced between £200 and £400, with T-shirts starting at under £80. The collection's "uniqueness" is that it will be available online straight after the show - allowing fashion-watchers instant access to the "seasonless" collection.

So does Facchinetti's new endeavour echo what her former Gucci boss, Tom Ford, is doing with his eponymous line (keeping pictures from the consumer until the range is almost on sale), or is it the very opposite of that: the ultimate in fast fashion?

"We're in a moment in fashion when there isn't just one way to think," she said. "What Tom is doing is different - it's a different product; a different angle - but both ways offer a different approach. I've been looking for a project like this for a long time."

So will her Uniqueness collection lead to a return to high-end luxury one day, maybe even bringing her new seasonless, see-like-buy schedule to designer brands?

"It's a natural evolution and I'm very happy with what I'm doing," she said. "I might come back again, one day - I wouldn't say never - but for now I'm doing exactly what I like in this moment. I'm very focused on Uniqueness. No seasons; new pieces arriving online every month; not too expensive: just make it and immediately sell it. We've broken with the traditional system to make things you buy right now and wear all year. That's great."
vogue.co.uk

Who cares about the brand just as long as this talented lady is working! Thanks for the update, Flashbang.

OMG so excited :woot: I didn't know she was doing something.
I hope this guy doesn't f*ck her over like everyone else.
She doesn't deserve it.

the collection is online on catwalking.com for anyone who's interested

a bit disappointing tbh

I am not a fan of the styling (especially the gloves) and the prints but the things in plain fabric are gorgeous, they remind me more of her Valentino work. I honestly expected it to be this her continuation of her work at Valentino but she got rid of the luxury element (probably given by the pricepoint) which I am really sad about. I would love her to get into high fashion again at some point but I am happy that he has work for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abbgg
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->