Printemps Alice in Wonderland Exhibition

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Nicholas Kirkwood-
cdocuments-and-settingsmschneiedesktopstyle-file-photosweek-of-1-25-10nicholas-kirkwood-alice-printemps.jpg

“I think my favorite Alice character is the March Hare. You can see I’ve made his watch rather prominent. This was a different design process for me, because I’m not usually so applicative—typically, I’m thinking about line, silhouette. But this time, I figured, why not just pile as much as I can on top?” —Nicholas Kirkwood

Charles Anastase
cdocuments-and-settingsmschneiedesktopstyle-file-photosweek-of-1-25-10charles-anastase-alice-printemps.jpg

“I went to John Tenniel’s original illustration of Alice for inspiration. She’s seated at a table having tea, and her dress looks much more asymmetrical and theatrical than that boring Walt Disney version. It was also an auto-reference to my collections, as Lewis Carroll’s work has been one of the main inspirations of my label since its creation. Alice Liddell, the real little girl with long dark hair who inspired Carroll, is one of the very few icons that I have. The pictures of her are a constant inspiration for me.” —Charles Anastase

Haider Ackermann
cdocuments-and-settingsmschneiedesktopstyle-file-photosweek-of-1-25-10haider-ackermann-alice-printemps1.jpg

“My favorite character is the Duchess, who at first seems nearly as unpleasant as the Queen of Hearts. But she’s the antagonist of the queen, and at the end was only respectful and friendly, despite her tremendous ugliness. When I was designing this piece, I was seeing Alice running, escaping through the forest destroying her shiny dress.” —Haider Ackermann

Ann Demeulemeester
cdocuments-and-settingsmschneiedesktopstyle-file-photosweek-of-1-25-10ann-demeulemeester-alice-printemps1.jpg

“I’ve always been intrigued by cutout silhouettes. They are so intriguing, so poetic—the shadow of a soul. They tell everything about a character and they are open to be filled with one’s own imagination.” —Ann Demeulemeester

Maison Martin Margiela
cdocuments-and-settingsmschneiedesktopstyle-file-photosweek-of-1-25-10mmm-alice-printemps.jpg

“Alice’s silhouette is a blue upside-down dress with cage sleeve, as if she walked through the mirror and her dress completely reversed. A long ball gown has been reworked, upside-down, into a minidress. The bustier in taffetas becomes a pleated miniskirt. The petticoat in plonge becomes an asymmetrical draped top. The skirt in ‘plumetis’ tulle becomes a veil. A cage sleeve of whale-boned velvet ribbon is embroidered with pearls, crystals, and recycled jewels.” —Maison Martin Margiela

Chloé
cdocuments-and-settingsmschneiedesktopstyle-file-photosweek-of-1-25-10chloe-alice-printemps.jpg

“Running around careless and free in a romantic dress, falling down the rabbit hole, chasing time in a dreamlike state of mind, meeting unexpected characters with many tales to tell—sounds like many a girl’s night out!” —Chloé design team

*style.com

i absolutely adore ann's....and the synopsis :wub: i also love haider's and his concept. and charles anastase....definitely expected him to do something something strong as the story is very close to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW !!!!

Chloés is obviously wearable and Charles Anastase's looks amazing, they all are amazing creations

I kind of agree dior.
They are all nice but didn't really seem to have much thought involved.
Surprisingly I like the MMM piece.

I really disliked Charles back handed comment about Disney's Alice. I thought that was a little unnecessary. They wouldn't have been able to animate some elaborate asymmetrical gown for the film. The reason why that Alice is so symbolic is its simplicity and everyone always looks back at the yellow, white, black and blue color scheme. I just found that comment to be so pretentious.

excuse me mods, am i allowed to say THIS IS ORGASMIC!!!!!! ? because.. IT IS!!!

I kind of agree dior.
They are all nice but didn't really seem to have much thought involved.
Surprisingly I like the MMM piece.

I really disliked Charles back handed comment about Disney's Alice. I thought that was a little unnecessary. They wouldn't have been able to animate some elaborate asymmetrical gown for the film. The reason why that Alice is so symbolic is its simplicity and everyone always looks back at the yellow, white, black and blue color scheme. I just found that comment to be so pretentious.

that's obviously not the point he was making. just that the perception and image of alice is always the one from the disney film....never the image conjured from the book.

i don't understand how anybody can think this is boring or has no thought. i mean one would hardly expect demeulemeester or ackermann to escape their aesthetics and create something super-flamboyant and colourful. otherwise,it kind of defeats the purpose of having these designers interpret the story into their worlds.

oh yes...the shadow silhouettes ann played with kind of reminds me of the art direction ruben toledo did for the MoMu Antwerp/V&A exhibition spectres....and that exhibition too was inspired by alice in wonderland.

that's obviously not the point he was making. just that the perception and image of alice is always the one from the disney film....never the image conjured from the book.

i don't understand how anybody can think this is boring or has no thought. i mean one would hardly expect demeulemeester or ackermann to escape their aesthetics and create something super-flamboyant and colourful. otherwise,it kind of defeats the purpose of having these designers interpret the story into their worlds.

oh yes...the shadow silhouettes ann played with kind of reminds me of the art direction ruben toledo did for the MoMu Antwerp/V&A exhibition spectres....and that exhibition too was inspired by alice in wonderland.

"That boring Disney version"
Yeah, I think that was the point.
The reason why it is used all the time because the character designers at Disney were masters. They redefined every classic character and those images will be carried on forever because of their simplicity and humility. That is fine if he prefers Tenniel's but there was no need to insult the Disney version.

& I wouldn't want them to leave their aesthetic and make some kind of Wonderland costume. Haider and Ann are two of my favorite designers but I don't worship everything their name is attached to. I just find these pieces uninspiring. No need to be condescending when someone doesn't share the same opinion.

well it's his opinion too. so what? a lot of people find various mainstream versions of certain stories or symbols boring. etched so much that sometimes we forget to appreciate the original. i find it boring too,so that makes me 'pretentious' as well?

and you know at the same token,there's no need for you to get so defensive when a person disagrees when one makes a narrow statement like "it has no thought".

well it's his opinion too. so what? a lot of people find various mainstream versions of certain stories or symbols boring. etched so much that sometimes we forget to appreciate the original. i find it boring too,so that makes me 'pretentious' as well?

and you know at the same token,there's no need for you to get so defensive when a person disagrees when one makes a narrow statement like "it has no thought".

So it's my opinion his comment was unnecessary. So what?

Not liking something doesn't make anyone pretentious, I said the comment itself was pretentious and the statement that the Tenniel illustration as being asymmetric which in all actuality is the same dress as the Disney version.

& I am of course going to get defensive when someone makes the comment assuming I don't know their work and would rather them make something "super-flamboyant" and "colourful" & "that's obviously not the point he was making" insinuating I can't read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->