"Pulling It Off"

Reaction score
Everytime a difficult new trend emerges (ie: latex pants, high waisted jeans, neon colors, whatevers en vogue) it seems like everyone responds (or backs out) by saying only a certain person could pull it off. Or what about when you wear something and someone stops you and says "Oh, only you could pull that off!" Now what does that mean??

Does it mean wearing it with gusto and self-confidence? Does it mean it works for your body type? Does it mean you wore in a 'real' way without looking too manicured and contrived? Or does it just depend on the context?

What is your definition of "pulling it off"? Give examples, too!

I think pulling it off is a sum of everything you just explained.

Pulling it off can be something simple like how you wear something. For example, my friend and I are were both wearing basically the exact same thing, which was a black suit with a black shirt. The difference was that he had the top four buttons un-done and looking very good doing it while I just had one un-done. I couldn't do that without looking silly because I'm 6'2 and slim at 160 pounds, while he is 5'11 and very well built.

So basically he was able to pull it off because of his physical attributes.

The formula for me is the right body + attitude.

That's all you need.

if you have to ask someone, you probably shouldnt be doing it.

I think a lot of it has to do with how you carry yourself. You have to be confident enough to wear certain things! And the other part is body. If you have a certain body type, you may or may not be able to "pull something off".

yes.. all the attitude in the world won't help to pull of hotpants if you weigh close to a 100kg and have cellulite.

Some people jst have this ara about them.. something autentic..it's real, she/he pulls it off!

Interesting question.... people often say that to me 'Only you could pull it off.' but I never take it as a compliment. It could be 'Oh you're so bizarre that only you could pull it off!.'
It really depends on what it is you're trying to pull off. A lot of the time, people say it because what they really mean to say is 'You're thin/tall/curvy enough to pull it off.'
Or you use the phrase in references to the fact that the trend you're trying to pull off is really 'out there/crazy/not of the norm' and then that somehow relates to your confidence level, your style of dress in general and what you bring to the trend.
Perhaps pulling something off is not just about the confidence as well, it is the ability to integrate the trends with your own style without looking like you've tried too hard.

if you have the confidence and attitude to think about wearing the 'pulling it off' item in the first place, you're already there.

I think the base level is the right body for the clothes. But for harder-to-wear trends, it's probably more about the rest of your wardrobe and 'look'.

While it's true there are a few things that should never be attempted, I tend to believe this is mostly about attitude ... and (this is not quite the word I want) poise. Physical grace. Elegance. Whatever it is, I've seen it alot in the photos in WAYWT. So a combination of inner & outer attitude. Plus there's a bit of taste/daring/imagination involved in the deciding what to attempt :wink: And a desire to be proper doesn't get you anywhere in this particular game ^_^

PS I guess my signature sums it up pretty well :wink:

ta-ta have to agree ;]
it's poise & confidence . . i'm inclined to say POSTURE . .
wear smthn simple but stand tall w/grace + 9/10 it will look amazing .

I think it's mostly about having the right attitude, and carrying yourself with grace and dignity. Having said that, I do think it's very important to know when something does not suit your body type or face.

I agree with that attitude and poise are major factors, but I do think Susie_Bubble is on something too. If you can pull it off it looks like your personal style, not a trend. Therefore in order to pull it off you need to wear it as if you had always been wearing it.

^ Exactly. Susie Bubble is the perfect example, she doesnt wear it b/c it's trendy she wears it because it's just...her.

WhiteLinen said:
I agree with that attitude and poise are major factors, but I do think Susie_Bubble is on something too. If you can pull it off it looks like your personal style, not a trend. Therefore in order to pull it off you need to wear it as if you had always been wearing it.
agree ^ there;s other factors besides attitude and poise- there's also the ease factor i.e. wearing something like a second skin, i guess.

i think posture is abit overated, tho i tend to be very careful about my own posture :rolleyes:. i think you CAN afford to ignore posture if you have height and striking facial features and some clothes tend to look better when you're slouchier.but if you're pint-sized, poor posture will work against you.

and i think personality is also a major factor. something that is innate and unique to that person.and that IS the reason why susie looks just RIGHT wearing what she wears, becos no one else has the same point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this one before. "Oh only you can pull that off, if I wore it I'd look so bad". I'm never really quite sure how to respond but I take it as a compliment seeming when people say they use itin a positive context.
I think to "pull something off" is a combination of things like everyone has said. Obviously wearing something flattering to your body shape, styled in the right way and aesthetically pleasing to the eye, attitude which seems to be the popular theory, how you carry yourself and I think one of the main points whether what you wear suits your personality and own style. I often see girls wearing ultra trendy clothes that just look completely awkward on them as you know they're wearing it for the sake of being trendy whereas I often enough see a different girl in something similar but because it looks more "her" it's actually nice. Difficult to explain but hopefully you're getting the general idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->