Puma To Buy Hussein Chalayan

Mr-Dale

Unveil Yourself....
Reaction score
From Yahoo News:

German firm Puma says it will buy Hussein Chalayan fashion label
Thu Feb 28, 12:46 PM ET

PARIS (AFP) - German sportswear group Puma said Thursday it had agreed to buy a majority stake in fashion designer Hussein Chalayan's London-based business as well as the brand by the same name.
[FONT=Verdana,arial,sans-serif][/FONT]

No financial details were disclosed.
In addition, Chalayan would supervise "the creation, design and collection of (Puma's) Sportfashion collection," starting with the fall 2009 clothing line, Puma said in a statement.
Chalayan, born in Nicosia, Cyprus, would work from London, said Puma manager Jochen Zeitz at a media conference in Paris. Puma recently came under the control of French luxury group PPR.
"This is a real marriage and not just a collaboration," Chalayan added, who has always said he strives "to create a new language for clothes."
The Wall Street Journal said the designer was facing financial difficulties and needed support from a solid group.
The agreement is also part of Puma's move to add fashion lines to its athletic performance and lifestyle lines. It has already worked with Alexander McQueen and with Jil Sander, a decade ago.
Chalayan, a graduate of St. Martin's School, has twice been named British designer of the year by the British Fashion Council and has won awards including Design Star Honoree of The Fashion Group International at its annual Night of Stars Gala in New York.

damn, i thought so. no wonder he's doing a line for puma; i figured....what's the catch?? not something i'd normally picture hussein doing.

More in depth article from WWD...

022908_02.jpg

Puma chairman and ceo Jochen Zeitz and Hussein Chalayan.

Puma, Chalayan Team Up

PARIS — Sportswear brand Puma AG on Thursday named Cyprus-born designer Hussein Chalayan as its creative director and acquired a majority stake in his signature fashion brand, confirming a report in WWD.

Financial terms of the deals were not disclosed. The announcement came a day after the London-based designer unveiled his fall women's wear collection here.

"Hussein Chalayan is a proven visionary in the fashion industry," Jochen Zeitz, chairman and chief executive officer of Herzogenaurach, Germany-based Puma, said at a press conference here Thursday. "As creative director, he will bring use of new technology, forward-thinking design and a provocative point of view to Puma."

Chalayan becomes Puma's first creative director, according to Zeitz, as well as the first fashion designer to be appointed as creative director of a major sports label. Last year, retail and luxury conglomerate PPR purchased a 62.1 percent stake in Puma.

"Acquiring majority shares of the Hussein Chalayan brand is giving Puma the ability to move into a new space, expanding our reach to become the most desirable sports lifestyle company in the world," Zeitz said, noting that the designer retains a substantial share in his namesake company.

Last week, Puma, Europe's second largest sporting goods brand after Adidas, reported that full-year earnings increased 2.2 percent to 269 million euros, or $371 million, on sales that rose 0.2 percent to 2.37 billion euros, or $3.28 billion.

This is not the first time Puma has ventured into the fashion arena.

According to Zeitz, Puma's collaboration with Jil Sander 10 years ago was the first between a sports label and a fashion designer — ahead of rival Adidas' Y-3 collaboration with Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto. "[Puma] was the first to use the word 'fashion' in our strategy and to do collaborations with designers such as Jil Sander and Neil Barrett," Zeitz said.

The company has since tied up with high-end designers such as Alexander McQueen and Philippe Starck. Puma also boasts a cobranded shoe collection with Italian motorcycle maker Ducati Motor Holding SpA, and last year it tapped Dutch designer Marcel Wanders to create an accessories line. It also has a denim collaboration with Hong Kong-based Evisu and produces jeans in-house as part of a new lifestyle subbrand, dubbed Dassler.

Zeitz said the partnership with Chalayan brings its fashion involvement to the next level. "This is not a collaboration; this is a long-term partnership. He is part of our business and we are part of his," said Zeitz.

"This isn't a short-term relationship; this is a marriage," agreed Chalayan. "Combining Puma's infrastructure and technological platform with PPR facilities, we will be able to turn experimental ideas into reality, both for the Puma and Chalayan lines. Hopefully people will have the means to access real products evolving from our process rather than only seeing them in shows and events."

Effective immediately, Chalayan will take on the creative mantle designing all product categories — footwear, apparel and accessories — for Puma's Sport Fashion and lifestyle categories. The collections, which will be positioned at a premium price point for the sportswear category, will be sold through select Puma stores, key concept stores and shop-in-shops worldwide.

"My way of thinking is very appropriate for sports," offered Chalayan. "There is something in sportswear that is less transient than in fashion. You are constantly building and developing products and technology."

Zeitz said he hoped the deal would boost Puma's apparel business, which today is led by the brand's footwear sales. For 2007, Puma sales in the footwear segment increased 1.9 percent to 1.48 billion euros, or $2.02 billion at average exchange, while apparel sales increased by 5.7 percent to 998.7 million euros, or $1.37 billion.

Puma also will help to build Chalayan's business internationally, according to Zeitz. "The time has come now for [Chalayan] to fully expand his potential and build his brand. It is the best opportunity [for Chalayan] to evolve in a retail environment," Zeitz said.

Zeitz did not rule out building stand-alone Hussein Chalayan stores in the future, but said the company would aim to grow via wholesale channels in the short to medium term.

"His line will be sold at top accounts. We will build a viable business model before venturing into other channels," Zeitz said. Chalayan agreed. "We want to become a global brand, but gradually, in a healthy way," the designer said.

Hussein Chalayan named Creative Director of Puma

It was a deal that happened very quickly, said Hussein Chalayan at a press conference with the Chairman and CEO of PUMA, Jochen Zeitz, this lunchtime to announce the designer's appointment as the first Creative Director of the 'sports lifestyle brand'. But the potential to turn what Chalayan deems 'prototypes' - the wearable technology that has characterised his work over the past 14 years- in partnership with a company whose bread and butter is perfomance technology was too good an opportunity to miss. "Technology is the only thing that can make fashion look new", he said, "and I'm very excited to turn all that research into a reality".
Zeitz was keen to stress that this was no mere 'collaboration' but a long-term commitment -more marriage than short-term relationship added Chalayan- and to that end, PUMA, part of Francois Pinault's mighty PPR group have bought a 'majority stake' in Chalayan's own company (they would not be drawn on how much). A very intelligent communicator, the CEO reminded an excitable press pack that it was PUMA (and by implication not Adidas) that was the first sportswear brand to work with fashion. In 1998, PUMA launched a sneakers line with Jil Sander, a good four years before Yohji Yamamoto embarked upon his joint line with what Zeitz referred to as "the 'A' word". As for whether fashion and sports were good bedfellows, Zietz said 80% of PUMA product is now sold as a fashion item and acknowledging the emotional correlation between aesthetics and performance, cited Linford Christie telling him ten years ago "when I look good I run faster".
The amount of excitement and good will towards Chalayan from those writers who have followed his career during a period when it has become increasingly difficult for designers without major backing was palpable and a joy to witness. With a generation of young designers coming up through the ranks whose modus operandi is distinctly anti-conceptual and anti-intellectual, ideas-based fashion design had been receiving less press support of late. It is a wonderful moment for British fashion design to see one of its most inspired visionaries and ingenious innovators to have his dreams translated into reality. "In Autumn/Winter 2009", Zietz assured, Chalayan's "influence will be felt".

hussein-468x350.jpg

showstudio.com/blog

i think i want a pair puma's now more than even mcqueen. this should be really interesting considering hussein's interest and play on technology & science....he should really be able to utilise the resources to express that side.

This is the exact platform (no pun intended) he needs. A whole new world just opened up for him. I can't wait.

sorry about the re-post. didn't realise it. just saw that article and immediately posted.

there's also a thread posted in shoes,shoes,shoes....if anybody wants to move it there.

I read about this in WWD, thought it was very interesting.

With Y-3, Stella Mcartney, and Nike's Tech Line, it seems performance focused clothing is a new leap for forward thinking designers. Of all of those kind of lines cropping up it seems Chalayan's will be the most genuine in seeking new technical achievements and making it look good as well.

I will be heavily anticipating what he makes with the new set up.

I actually think this is a pretty cool idea. I can't wait to see what he does for Puma.

S/S 10 puma urban mobility

fashionsnap

Attachments

• puma_charayan_01-thumb-600x600-15007.jpg
    puma_charayan_01-thumb-600x600-15007.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3
  • puma_charayan_02-thumb-428x600-15008.jpg
    puma_charayan_02-thumb-428x600-15008.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 3
I'm very interested in this, mostly to see how many pieces in this collection will actually be useful when running, playing tennis, and working out. personally, I dont like to run, work out or play tennis in anything over sized, draped etc..

Stella makes plenty of cute clothes for the gym and tennis, but her shoes are a total disappointment. I wouldn't even suggest them for treadmill running. If a designer such as Stella mccartney, chalayan, etc were to actually make a shoe that was fashionable and honestly functional for a real athlete ,that would be amazing. Its hard to find stylish items that are truly functional.

**btw thank for the photos, runner

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very interested in this, mostly to see how many pieces in this collection will actually be useful when running, playing tennis, and working out. personally, I dont like to run, work out or play tennis in anything over sized, draped etc..

Stella makes plenty of cute clothes for the gym and tennis, but her shoes are a total disappointment. I wouldn't even suggest them for treadmill running. If a designer such as Stella mccartney, chalayan, etc were to actually make a shoe that was fashionable and honestly functional for a real athlete ,that would be amazing. Its hard to find stylish items that are truly functional.

How would you feel about a coffee table :lol:

I guess he won't be reprising that collection ...

is there real tennis gear in the collection? so far only stella is doing true tennis clothes but alas only available to women. i would love to have some chalayan on when on the courts. but as per your sentiments i wonder how functional they really are because quite honestly i hate too many add-ons when i'm hitting a one-hander....too distracting.

you're welcome LolitaLuxe

it seems that this collection is more of functional daily wear.
I'm not sure since it's in pr language, but there is a possibility that they don't have any athletics principle. what would you english speakers think of from the word, the name of this line, urban mobility ?
looks like basically they say this is about performance-principled fashion in the city, not on track, field, court, but if you like, anywhere or something.
the prices are relatively good though. the top is 6825 yen. the jacket 29400, etc.

^streetwear...i see. a bit like Y3 in a way.

many thanks runner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->