Purple #76 Spring/Summer 2018

moonmoon

Reaction score
For this issue, we have released twelve different covers: MAURIZIO CATTELAN, NICOLAS GHESQUIÈRE, DEMNA GVASALIA, ANNE IMHOF, REI KAWAKUBO, CRAIG MCDEAN, KIKO MIZUHARA, FELIPE OLIVEIRA BAPTISTA, SHAYNE OLIVER, MIUCCIA PRADA, JUERGEN TELLER, and AMANDA WALL.

“In this summer issue I wanted to put together a gallery of the exceptionally talented people I’ve known and loved for years, along with artists I’ve recently discovered and find inspiring. These are some of the people — stars and non-stars, from models to architects and artists to thinkers — who help me to understand this changing world and to navigate my way through it.

Yes, we know that art can’t change the world. But these artists share a certain optimism or idealism, simply because they all, like me, believe that art is not décor to embellish a richer lifestyle, nor is it an escape into a dream world.
Art can inspire the impulse to move, to change, and to transform the world inch by inch, second by second, and step by step. Maybe these artists don’t even want to make the world better. But they show us life through a clearer lens. Because we believe that style is the answer to everything.

The first Purple Index lists 76 of the most creative people in art and fashion — in alphabetical order to avoid any kind of hierarchy. Each was photographed or portrayed through their work. Of course, this number is arbitrary. We could have gone on and shown more. We simply didn’t have enough time or enough pages. But all these artists are highly innovative and influential, not only in what they do, but also in how they do it: methodically, ironically, obsessively, or intuitively, and always with style.

We interviewed them to understand how they innovate, express themselves, and move forward in a period when creativity is everywhere and relevance is rare.” — OLIVIER ZAHM

Purple Index 76 also includes texts by JEAN -LUC NANCY, ÉRIC TRONCY, SLAVOJ ZIZEK, interviews with artists XAVIER VEILHAN, FRANCISCO VEZZOLI, URS FISCHER, fashion shoots by JUERGEN TELLER, CHIKASHI SUZUKI, GRAIG MCDEAN, BRIANNA CAPOZZI, BENEDICT BRINK and many others.

Today we present the COVER #1 OF 12 featuring LILI SUMNER for REI KAWAKUBO / COMME DES GARÇONS shot by ANDREA SPOTORNO and styled by SHEILA SINGLE.

purple.fr

Attachments

• cover-lily0681-400x550.jpg
    cover-lily0681-400x550.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 25
Oh crumm! Here we go again with the multi covers! Purple never really overkilled it with so many covers, why now? I couldn't get my Coach cover the last time, but at least I got Rila Fukishima. When the price is this dear, one must be absolutely satisfied with it from front to back.

Such a motley crew, I'll have to wait for the rest to surface because the Rei cover is awful.

Let me guess, that's a paper sleeve over the actual cover again? Like what's the point...

Wow the girlfriend again, makes the whole speech kind of risible.

Two more, looking very weak so far.......

Demna Gvasalia: Juergen Teller and Suzi Leenaars by Juergen Teller

Nicolas Ghesquiére: Mara Kasanpawiro by.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a huge supporter of Teller's work but I can't take it anymore. Enough of the Vetements/Demna "friendship". His work was groundbreaking most of the time because there was always a sense of luxury and decay in his pictures, now it's just... silly. Very Terryesque. Looks very childish/Insta-cool. Depressing and boring.

now i've been defending this magazine forever, and i havent skipped an issue in years but - the latest cover is Olivier's girlfriend, self portrait and self interview... who the hell is she even?

Felipe Oliveira Baptista: Marjan Jonkman by Walter Pfeiffer

Miuccia Prada:

Maurizio Cattelan

Amanda Wall by Amanda Wall, comes complete with Amanda Wall interview by Amanda Wall

now i've been defending this magazine forever, and i havent skipped an issue in years but - the latest cover is Olivier's girlfriend, self portrait and self interview... who the hell is she even?

No fool, like an old fool, comes to mind.

I presume the mother of his child and her high profile job does not get a look in this time.

Some of the covers are interesting.

I was really hoping for self portraits of the designers, so I'm disappointed in the Nicolas Ghesquiere cover.

I was really hoping for self portraits of the designers, so I'm disappointed in the Nicolas Ghesquiere cover.

It would certainly have been a far better sell than wwhat we've seen so far. LS is correct, some look interesting, but nothing enough for me to purchase.

5 more covers to be released, I doubt any of it will stun, but lets see.

'Unapologetic female gaze"

Photographer: Brianna Capozzi
Model: Luna Bijl
Stylist: Delphine Danhier

ouimanagement

I really lika Luna’s ed, it helps that I think she’s an excellent model.

Are they serious with that first shot of Luna? :rofl:

Freja Beha Erichsen by Craig McDean:

[

Left: Eliza Douglas by Nadine Fraczkowski

[

Laughing hard at the Amanda Wall pretentiousness. Dear lord, that is some shameless promotion/nepotism.

well i guess i'll get this issue if i can put my hands on freja's cover

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->