Questionable Designer Accessories... Why Did They Decide to Put Their Logo on This?

But here's the main difference, at least for me. The items you mentioned can be considered beautiful from an aesthetic standpoint and would be used as decor as well as for the purpose they were designed to serve. And because any of those items could be considered beautiful as an object they don't automatically do anything to cheapen the name of the brand selling them.

These cigarettes are just a cheap, tacky - not to mention disgusting - way of making a buck...to me at least.

Then again you're speaking more of the promotion of smoking via this product, and I don't disagree with you entirely in that respect. Fashion promotes smoking all the time. I mean, you need look no further than my avatar to see that.

roberto cavalli has proudly branded his name on vodka bottles. should we blame him for the countless alcoholics in this world? marc jacobs gleefully gives his name over to condoms. should those in sex addicts anonymous blame him for their problems? just how far are we going to go with this? someone with access to high-end fashion has access to any number of vices that -- matched with the right addictive susceptibility -- have risks. it's up to that person and their support network to manage that not governments and corporations.

people smoked before the birth of yves saint laurent and suspect they'll still do so long after the world has forgotten his name.

GUCCI PPR Group is searching for new profit spot for YSL, away from YSL's awful fashion sales season by season

It's not that bad, its just another way of making money for them. If I smoked, I would smoke these cigarettes, they really look chic.

in russia, where everybody smokes, I think it is a great think to have an alternative to the usual malborough lights. the ysl are also expensive cigarettes, compared with other cheaper russian brands.

It is hard to make the morality argument when it comes to anything involving fashion, I am just sad by the implication that the house started by someone who many consider the greatest designer who ever lived and whose archives and life should be a fount of inspiration, needs to resort to peddling cigarettes for cash and/or brand recognition.

^I think you're taking it too far. People who smoke will smoke whether there's YSL ciggarettes or not, it is just another brand that is "chic" and more sophisticated than other brands of the same product.

yes, smoking is bad for the health. but YSL has nothing to do with it, it is your choice whether you buy it or not.

driving a car is bad for the environment = gucci still launches a new model.
smoking is bad for your health = YSL still launches a new cigarette.

I see nothing wrong in Yves Saint Laurent selling cigarettes - if luxury consumers want a luxury cigarette they can buy YSL instead of Sobranie. Saint Laurent isn't promoting anything that isn't already available and people aren't going to take up smoking because Saint Laurent told them it was okay.
Smokers are just another market where luxury is demanded and YSL can see to make some money.

^one of the most iconic garments of the house of yves saint laurent REMAINS "le smoking"...i honestly feel like i'm in the twilight zone here.

^ Oh absolutely. It hardly needs to be said that the YSL image is almost synonymous with the smoking femme fatale. But unfortunately over the decades we've discovered what smoking can do to a human's body and while smoking still exudes a certain mystery and seduction, it just isn't what it used to be. We're not in the 60s and 70s any more, we need to move past the "smoking is sexy" image because it's killing people.
Life is more important than Yves Saint Laurent.

hahah I found a pack of YSL and Cartier cigarettes from god knows when at my mum's flat last time I was visiting. I thought they'd never get into something like that again. Sad really.

I just feel so sick. Cigarette is so cheap. Yes,I respect those who choose to smoke. But as a giant powerhouse like YSL, it can do anything but promoting smoking.

Some of you need to take a breather (aha). Those cigarettes look slick and so does the box.

Sadly (thankfully?) I don't smoke, nor do I drink but I feel that the ad is kind of bad. Not the smoking part but with that all black box and all white cig it could have easily capitalized on the "Noire" feel. The current one is coming off like "Casper the Friendly Ghost".

I guess a fashion forum isn't really the most appropriate venue for discussion on health issues. It seems that for some people at least.. vanity,.. or perhaps more specifically, a need to be seen with a designer label, can triumph over all else!
Thank heavens there aren't any hospitals run by Chanel, palliative care units by Versace, or coffins made by Gucci. :P

^ So true. And I love that you say this with the woman in your avatar smoking :lol:

I guess a fashion forum isn't really the most appropriate venue for discussion on health issues. It seems that for some people at least.. vanity,.. or perhaps more specifically, a need to be seen with a designer label, can triumph over all else!
Thank heavens there aren't any hospitals run by Chanel, palliative care units by Versace, or coffins made by Gucci. :P
Well, I always seen Chanel as a healthy brand, everything with their chanel logo skis etc... but you're right about versace, gucci and ysl...

I'd like to think that 'style and sophistication' are not at direct odds with wanting to remain able-bodied and alive...

Any smoker I know who bought those YSL cigarettes - when they were available in Europe - said they were truly vile, and admitted they bought them simply for the look, the sense of using them.

If people can not buy a dress or a necklace of Yves Saint Laurent, at least they're gonna buy a cigar and initiate a vice which, over time, resulting in a horrible dependency. Very bad for YSL.

I see nothing wrong in Yves Saint Laurent selling cigarettes - if luxury consumers want a luxury cigarette they can buy YSL instead of Sobranie. Saint Laurent isn't promoting anything that isn't already available

Agree with that.

Besides, somehow I don't hear people complaining about cancer etc. when they see the cigarettes in every Vogue Paris issue.

A few years ago you could only get them in certain tobacco shops in Paris, they used to have them in Luxembourg too. The packaging used to be dark red before they switched to the black one - the cigarette is slightly longer than "normal marlboros" and the filter is a bit shiny/sparkly.

As a part-time smoker, I like the taste of them - but I never smoked them every day because compared to "normal marlboros" they contain way more nicotine and carbon monoxide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->