questions for sun/tan experts

Acid

yes
Reaction score
hey i just have a couple of questions hope someone can help

1) if you tan WITHOUT burning, does the UV light still damage your skin and promote aging? or does it only happen if you burn

2) if you tan using sunscreen, does the UV light still penetrate your skin and...depending on the answer to question 1, does it damage you still.

Not completely sure, but I know that a tan is still damaged skin - the UV light still damages the skin and results in a tan. I think that tanning booths are worse than real sunlight for UV rays...not sure about the sunscreen. Sorry!

welllllll. a tan means you're killing skin cells. Your change in colour is a build up of dead skin cells killed by uv. a tan of the skin results in expedes the aging of your skin regardless of whether you burned first or not HOWEVER a bad sunburn (think blisters really sore to the touch etc...) those are reaaallly bad for your skin and not only expedite the skins aging, but will leave marks, (freckles blemishes, brown spots etc.) basically if you hit the beach, lather up (you'll still get a tan but not a serious brazilian brown that will lead to pruniness) and DON'T HIT THE TANNING BEDS. the massage tans are great! and look real too!!

A tan no matter what is still damaged skin.

I mean go for it if you want, but you'll probably regret it when your older(you'll look like a prune:haha:smile:

Do guys use fake tan..or is that out of the question..coz if your looking for a tan then they'll be the best. I also saw a pill that helps a tan stay or something, or pomotes a tan dunno

hope that helps:flower:

Normal amount of sun is not bad for you, the body has vitamin D in it naturally wich is activated by sun. This vitamin D is good for the bones I think it was, that is why you are running a bigger risk of getting some sort of illness with the bones (again I'm not sure if it was the bones) in the winter.

That's all I could remember, we had a test on that last week. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
_R_ said:
welllllll. a tan means you're killing skin cells. Your change in colour is a build up of dead skin cells killed by uv. a tan of the skin results in expedes the aging of your skin regardless of whether you burned first or not HOWEVER a bad sunburn (think blisters really sore to the touch etc...) those are reaaallly bad for your skin and not only expedite the skins aging, but will leave marks, (freckles blemishes, brown spots etc.) basically if you hit the beach, lather up (you'll still get a tan but not a serious brazilian brown that will lead to pruniness) and DON'T HIT THE TANNING BEDS. the massage tans are great! and look real too!!

Wat is the massage tan ??? How about spray on tan ?

1) if you tan WITHOUT burning, does the UV light still damage your skin and promote aging? or does it only happen if you burn

Of course it does, even if it doesn't burn your skin, and the damage will promote faster skin aging.

2) if you tan using sunscreen, does the UV light still penetrate your skin and...depending on the answer to question 1, does it damage you still

Tanning no MATTER WHAT damages your skin. Sunscreen protects your skin, but only to a certain extent. You must be aware that putting yourself under the UV light is very damaging in the long term.

Simply put, the sun damages your skin plain and simple. If you just tan, you're skin is still damaged. Sunscreen can help protect skin against burning, but there is no real proof that it will protect you from aging effects/sun spots/cancer. You can bathe in sunscreen, but if you bake in the sun, your skin will still be damaged.

Okay...so this is what my dermatologist tells me about tanning (not that I have a problem with tanning, but dermatologists like to treat you like you do)... Any type of actual tanning, whether it be going out to the beach or sitting in a tanning salon/parlor, is burning of your skin. Even though tanning salons say that their methods are more safe because they don't use UVA rays, the use of UVB rays is very dangerous because it makes you much more prone burnings caused by UVA rays...or something like that. So...he insists that if you want a darker skin tone at all, it should be attained by being airbrushed or rubbed on via lotion/spray/cream instead of actual tanning (which, in his opinion, is the same thing as burning.)

However...I don't tan anyways, so I don't know if any/all of this is true...

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but the sight of a tan kind of disgusts me. The reason used to be, of course, that a real lady would never need to go outside and do physical labor, and therefore, pasty skin was a sign of wealth and prestige. But my reason is more along the lines of, "Ew, how could someone have such disrespect for their body" and "I hope I don't have to pay (in taxes) for their chemo treatments." It's kind of the same reaction I get when I see people smoking.

^ That's a pretty interesting thought, although I completely disagree. :flower:

clea said:
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but the sight of a tan kind of disgusts me. The reason used to be, of course, that a real lady would never need to go outside and do physical labor, and therefore, pasty skin was a sign of wealth and prestige. But my reason is more along the lines of, "Ew, how could someone have such disrespect for their body" and "I hope I don't have to pay (in taxes) for their chemo treatments." It's kind of the same reaction I get when I see people smoking.

That is such a looooooooooooong time ago!

Seriously after that it was seen as beeing rich to HAVE a tan. Cuz then you could afford to travel ect.

covergal said:
Wat is the massage tan ??? How about spray on tan ?

oooh the massage tans are great, you go in and they massage a bronzer into you're skin that last about a week or so. the sprays can be really good too! the results are pretty much the same as is the price, but with the first you get a free massage outta the deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FR758
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->