Rachel Williams

When they say she lives in the UK now, it would be great to get hold of her and get some thoughts about her time in fashion - and maybe a few details about what went on during some of those shoots.

For sure!She is kind of a celebrity over there,i don't think she would give me an interview :lol:.But i would like for a magazine to interview her about her career.I should keep a look out...

:lol:All those looking down shots......still bloody gorgeous though:heart:

I don't think she's done anything (even a magazine interview) here for ages, but I'd also like to hear her thoughts on her modelling career then and her thoughts on the industry now. She was never shy about herself and was quite outspoken on 'The Girlie Show' at least.

Droooooooooooooool
Elle US November 1992
is.php

Ebay

from theimagist

At a party this weekend the subject of Rachel Williams came up. My Hiss Squader updated me as to the fact that La Williams was still stomping about New York, as vibrant and powerful in person as ever. What was interesting about the invocation of Rachel was how unlikely a career her 90's travelogue was. Williams was one of those inherently cool New York City girls. Her dad, Tod Williams and stepmother Billie Tsien were architects in the Manhattan firm Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects, the forces behind the American Folk Art Museum . Miss Williams in fact studied architecture at Colombia University. The striking thing about Rachel Williams was her size- over six feet tall and powerfully built Rachel boasted the muscular kind of form you would expect from a pro athlete and yet fashion at the time found space for her. The clothes fit, the editorials flowed and even though she qualifies now as a kind of cult figure (TI loves those) Rachel brought a kind of uncompromising complexity to her pictures in Vogue. Today an editor can easily dismiss a girl fora booking on the grounds that the "samples won't fit" . But I think fashion in this decade has suffered very badly from a fleet of girls who fit the clothes and did nothing else as opposed to the idea of wrapping a personality and presence around the clothes.
The best fact about William's career was its commercial base with clients ranging from Absolut Vodka to Revlon finding her ideal. This Meisel snap of Williams triggered a premonition in my mind. News have been trickling in that a lot of the girls considered "super-commercial" and "money" are being rang up by those so called edgy magazines to balance out the pages (and of course the balance sheets) . And I would drop a bet that a lot of those haute-editorial high end girls are going to broadening their client base this Spring. How genius, for instance, would it be for Absolut to bring back their model driven ad series. Sans nostalgia of course.

:heart:From Elle US:heart:

hfgl

Scanning two 87 US Vogue eds featuring Rachel soon.

editorial, Elle UK, late 80's or early 90's (?), by Robert Erdmann.
source: scans by me.

WOW!!!!!:woot::buzz::woot: AMAZING!!!!!!!
Love those pics and new to me too.:heart:
Thanks Proximity:flower:

Also thanks kasper! for the info from the imageist:flower:
It would be a treat to see Rachel stomping around right now:P

Never seen that one,thanks a lot:flower:It's very intense.

"Screen Test" editorial, Vogue UK, 1987 or 1988, photographs by David Bailey.
source: scanned by me.

always loved that last one with the Chanel tee & the LEGS! :blush:

spacer.gif
+ 1 from "World Class of 88", Vogue UK, October 1988, photograph by Peter Lindbergh.

"Into The Fuschia" editorial, Vogue UK, June 1988 (?), photographs by Steven Meisel.

from "Fashion Futurism" editorial, Vogue UK, March 1988 (?), photographs by Steven Meisel.

Thank-you for all these fantastic pics proximity:flower:
The B&W pic by Peter Lindbergh is outstanding.:heart:

SCOOP DU JOUR: THE 90's ICONS STORM BACK

Kirsten McMenamy...freshly lodged at DNA under the auspices of Didier Fernandez....Jenny Shimuzu finding a new home at Elite...with Rachel Williams looming on the horizon. Which makes TI wonder how this will affect the New York showscape. Can you imagine that particular backstage reunion?
The imagist

:shock::shock::shock: looming on the horizon...could it mean she's about to sign with an agency???Cause i will pass out if she does.I wish it was clearer:judge:But the post is about 90's beauties coming back so....:woot:

:buzz::buzz:Now I'm excited:D
Hope this all leads to something....thanks for the info Annie.:flower:

Would I make you happy if i told you she is on Elite+'s site? :buzz:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!:woot:OMG:clap::mohawk:I didn't see this coming.At all.Very suprised:woot:no new pics on her profile there,except this one i think is new.
021.jpg

elitemodel.com
031.jpg

ETA:Pola!:woot:
same source

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder where we will see her first!:woot:

In the meantime,blast from the past.
Elle US December 1989
(with unknown and Judit Masco)

scanned by me

Users who are viewing this thread