Raf Simons: 'Galliano's work is no longer relevant'

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by LagerfeldBoy, Nov 14, 2012.

1. StoneSkipper

StoneSkipper Well-Known Member

What I think is that there are many Galliano-Simons comparisons in the fashion scene right now. This is damaging because Galliano and Simons cater to completely different women. Simons is a minimalist at heart, Galliano works through opulence and drama. Raf only said that Galliano's work is irrelevant because he doesn't understand it. Same if Galliano were to talk about Raf's work being irrelevant. I think the comparisons are getting to his head, not necessarily the sucess or fame.

2. eugenius

eugenius Well-Known Member

I don't buy womenswear, so it's not like I have a comprehensive grasp on the luxury goods market for the ladies, but a big part of me thinks "Big, stinkin' whoop," because in the end, isn't it all just shoes & handbags anyways? Put out clothes that real customers, not red-carpet camera-queens, buy & wear, and then let's talk.

3. TianCouture

TianCouture Active Member

If we're going to talk about "restrictive" then lets discuss the fact that Marion Cotillard had to take off her shoes, a shoe Raf designed, out of pure pain at the "Rust and Bone" premiere. And not to mention, the "stumbling" that occurred in the runway...

...And the other thing, those metallic belts don't look comfy. I adore Raf. I just hope this all is going to his head and that his menswear won't suffer...that would blow!

HeatherAnne likes this.
  4. IloveDiorHomme

IloveDiorHomme Well-Known Member

If I would be Mr Simons, I would shut my big mouth for a minute...

People in 10 years could tell the same about Raf Simons's current work. Each period has a specific fashion, specific mood. Now we are in 2012 and there is a financial crisis going on.

HeatherAnne likes this.
  5. Heroin_Chic

Heroin_Chic New Member

Raf Simons should be ashamed of himself!!!

Galliano IS still relevant - he just needs his job(s) back!

6. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Well-Known Member

:lol: I'm not quite there with him yet...but if he keeps this up, I think I'll be joining you.

7. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Oh please, for what? For expressing his opinion? He made a perfectly valid observant point within the context of the interview. Raf wasn't on a drunken stupor, childishly throwing insults and racist and anti-semetic remarks casually at people.

I'm no fan of Raf, but if one's going to be calling him out on his supposed hypocrisy -- in that his designs are equally constrictive as Galliano's, then might as well call out all designers. If one wants comfortable clothes, go to Eddie Bauer. Raf's vision of modernity for his own house and Dior's-- if only in presentation, is much more modern than any of Gaillano's ridiculous million-dollar drag shows in his last few years with Dior.

8. christian zh

christian zh Well-Known Member

Please, not again.

9. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

I totally agree that Galliano's aesthetic is no longer relevant. Actually I'm a firm believer that Dior only got rid of him, not because they have excellent principles, but simply because they knew he was past it and the opportunity offered itself.
    I do not know if i agree with Raf Simmons that has to do with women rejecting restrictiveness in favour of freedom, Macqueen was doing fine. It's simply a case that no one in the history of the world stays at the top forever. Galliano is an incredibly important designer in the history of fashion, but like all successful people he peaked at a certain period and now has been replaced at the top by new talented people that can bring a fresh take on things. Because he was really good he still has a fanbase to defend his corner, but it means nothing in the big scheme of things, his work is no longer influential.

10. iluvjeisa

iluvjeisa clever ain't wise

This seems blown totally out of proportion. So Raf digs Galliano's technical skill and artistry but does not feel that this is the way of the future. What is new? Of course he doesn't think so, otherwise he would either be doing it himself...

So there are more diplomatic things to say, but so what. I like that he's honest. I mean, I will always consider Galliano as one of the last true artists and he is far better than Raf, obviously, but nonetheless - Raf is in his right to prefer his own designs and his own style to that of his predecessor. And it is frankly his job to wipe Dior completely clean of any trace of Galliano. Which is terribly sad, since those are some of the best collections known to man, but that's how it goes.

#30 iluvjeisa, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited by moderator julyandluvy: Nov 16, 2012
  11. moss trey

moss trey Member

This. Everything is turning towards ready to wear and minimalism and as a fan of opulence and occasional ridiculousness in fashion I'm missing all the designers that explored fantasy in their designs. I feel like there's very few lines left nowadays that are able to explore that.

12. Littleathquakes

Littleathquakes Well-Known Member

I don't think it has anything to do with diplomacy, tact, respect, whatever you want to call it. It's simply presumptuous this early in his new role at Dior to declare anybody, not just Galliano, to be irrelevant when Simons himself has yet to prove himself as relevant. Just because he's designing in the current period of time doesn't make him relevant. I can't point to any of the pieces he's designed for the house and say "oh that's a new Dior piece under Simons' direction" the way I can point to a Galliano piece for the house.

I also don't agree that it's his "job" to wipe any trace of Galliano (aesthetically speaking, I'm not even referring to the scandal) from the house's history. Galliano is part of Dior just as Mr. Dior himself is. You get rid of Galliano, you might as well erase Mr. Dior, too. It makes carrying a house's name completely unnecessary - might as well close down Dior and open up house of Simons if that's the trajectory that should be taken with every newly appointed creative director whose "job" it is to erase his predecessor's work.

13. TianSoFine

TianSoFine Active Member

I've always thought that there was something empowering about Galliano's work, something fearless like a woman can be anything she wants to be. His clothes represent a fantasy and I think that fantasy will always be relevant. Raf may not like Galliano's aesthetic, but there are also people who don't like Raf's aesthetic and that doesn't make Raf irrelevant. I for one will always appreciate the work of Galliano.

14. tboy34

tboy34 Member

It's very Unsportsmanlike to dis another designer, to elevate yourself. His collection wasn't all that. It was OK. Galliano is truly a master in the craft. He's been knocked down, but he'll come back fighting. for him to say that Galliano is not relevant is pure bull. He really needs to check himself and get off his high horse.

HeatherAnne likes this.
  15. tboy34

tboy34 Member

100% Agreed

16. iluvjeisa

iluvjeisa clever ain't wise

You really don't understand what I was saying.

It is very likely that Raf Simons has been told/directed to wipe every trace of Galliano off the name of Dior. Just as the Dior website has been stripped of the Galliano references and collections. Just like the Galliano line continues to be dragged through the mud season after season. It is simply Mr. Simons' job to continue on that path, like, I am sure, everyone employed at Dior.

I am not saying that this should be his job. I am saying that it de facto is his job.

That said, I don't think it's terribly controversial. Simons obviously prefers his own work to anyone else and he knows that his employers will be pleased at any stab he offers toward Galliano. What can you expect...?

17. disco54

disco54 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I find Raf's Dior incredibly boring and I don't think he should make such a statement, Galliano is a very gifted man, editors have gased Raf's head so much , they make it seem his clothes are the best thing since sliced bread .

HeatherAnne likes this.
  18. tatouejeremie

tatouejeremie Well-Known Member

ofcourse galliano's stuff isn't relevant, it shouldn't be, it's old. in my book good fashion is linked to the zeigeist and galliano's work was perfect for that period.

at the same time, is raf simons' work for dior actually relevant for this day and age? like charlie porter mentioned on his blog, the woman he proposes in his collection doesn't exist. i surely don't know them and i don't think i've ever seen them either.

19. donyan

donyan Well-Known Member

If I didn't know those two Dior Collections were designed by Raf Simons I would have thought it is some new unexperienced Designer with an amazing amount of financial possibilities - nothing in those collections touches on the slightly cold and distant beauty of Raf's best men's collections or his better collections for Jil Sander- those two Dior Collections neither mean anything, nor do they feel relevant. Had they been designed by anybody else for a house with less power, nobody would have said another word about them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

20. Morphe

Morphe Active Member

These two posts pretty much sum up my opinion. Simons is not a controversial, flashy person and was/is never known for "catfights", he was pretty much defending his vision, seeing all these stupid comparisons to Galliano. They're two entirely different people, character and vision-wise.
    I dread coming into such threads, they're almost always full of frothy haterade.

The article
    http://i50.tinypic.com/9hm0xg.jpg

#40 Morphe, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited by moderator aca7: Nov 18, 2012