Skincare/ moisturisers with Vitamin C - only for older skin?

rainglow

Reaction score
A few years ago when I was a fresh faced, dewy 22 year old, I was taken in by an ad for a Garner moisturiser with Vitamin C. When I got to the drugstore, the horrified sales assistant whipped it out of my hand and told me that Vitamin C thins the skin and this is why it's used in anti-aging moisturisers....thins those fine lines right out of your skin.

I got a sample of Lancome Sensation Totale (Continuous C Perfecting Complex - Refines, Renews, Restores) as a gift with purchase and I'm loving it. My skin looks a lot more even after only a few uses and is far glowier (if that's a word :P). But I'm worried about using something like this longterm if the original SA was right.

Does anybody know anything about topical Vitamin C for the skin? I'm 25 with nary a wrinkle and don't want to make my skin worse!!

I'm 17 and I've been using a vitamin C serum since summer and it has done wonders. I used to have really bad skin with acne marks and freckles and it's helped to fade both. I don't use it EVERY night, but I do have some wrinkles under the eye. A lot of kids these days have them though so it's not caused by the vitamin C. Nevertheless I am trying it under the eye to see if it helps the wrinkles plump out.

rainglow said:
Does anybody know anything about topical Vitamin C for the skin? I'm 25 with nary a wrinkle and don't want to make my skin worse!!

i'm not sure about Vit C thinning out your skin
but i would recommend that you AVOID Retinol
i used that when i was your age and it thinned out my skin under my eyes..
made undereye circles worse + seemed to make me prone to fine-lines in the long run.

^ does retinol or tretinoin really thin the skin? i was told that it encourages collagen production and therefore in the long run, plumps skin up

Lol vit c doesn't thin out your skin; retin A does however make your skin wayyy more sensitive to the sun. You should ALWAYS wear sunscreen when using using Retin A; had a friend who didn't and she got burned and now her skin is even worse.

Vit C is perfectly fine for younger skin. I read that it actually increases your skin's protection against the sun by as much as 8x; it's meant to be worn underneath sunscreen. It's never too early to use Vit C and sunscreen.

The most important thing is to wear sunscreen since it's the sun that speeds up the aging/wrinkling process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->