Skincare/ moisturisers with Vitamin C - only for older skin?

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by rainglow, Dec 23, 2005.

1. rainglow

rainglow New Member

A few years ago when I was a fresh faced, dewy 22 year old, I was taken in by an ad for a Garner moisturiser with Vitamin C. When I got to the drugstore, the horrified sales assistant whipped it out of my hand and told me that Vitamin C thins the skin and this is why it's used in anti-aging moisturisers....thins those fine lines right out of your skin.

I got a sample of Lancome Sensation Totale (Continuous C Perfecting Complex - Refines, Renews, Restores) as a gift with purchase and I'm loving it. My skin looks a lot more even after only a few uses and is far glowier (if that's a word :p). But I'm worried about using something like this longterm if the original SA was right.

Does anybody know anything about topical Vitamin C for the skin? I'm 25 with nary a wrinkle and don't want to make my skin worse!!

2. Trista

Trista New Member

I'm 17 and I've been using a vitamin C serum since summer and it has done wonders. I used to have really bad skin with acne marks and freckles and it's helped to fade both. I don't use it EVERY night, but I do have some wrinkles under the eye. A lot of kids these days have them though so it's not caused by the vitamin C. Nevertheless I am trying it under the eye to see if it helps the wrinkles plump out.

3. gruveechik

gruveechik New Member

i'm not sure about Vit C thinning out your skin
    but i would recommend that you AVOID Retinol
    i used that when i was your age and it thinned out my skin under my eyes..
    made undereye circles worse + seemed to make me prone to fine-lines in the long run.

4. loves

loves New Member

^ does retinol or tretinoin really thin the skin? i was told that it encourages collagen production and therefore in the long run, plumps skin up

5. jackie1

jackie1 New Member

Lol vit c doesn't thin out your skin; retin A does however make your skin wayyy more sensitive to the sun. You should ALWAYS wear sunscreen when using using Retin A; had a friend who didn't and she got burned and now her skin is even worse.

Vit C is perfectly fine for younger skin. I read that it actually increases your skin's protection against the sun by as much as 8x; it's meant to be worn underneath sunscreen. It's never too early to use Vit C and sunscreen.

The most important thing is to wear sunscreen since it's the sun that speeds up the aging/wrinkling process.

#5 jackie1, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by moderator : May 13, 2015