Richard Avedon - Photographer

Richard Avedon has two articles in VP june/july 2008 and Numéro (94) june/july 08....
as he is exhibited in Paris, Jeu de Paume from July, 1st to Sept, 28 2008

Richard Avedon
Photographs 1946 - 2004
from 07 01 2008 until 09 28 2008
Organised by the Louisiana Museum in Humlebaek with the cooperation of the Richard Avedon Foundation, this exhibition surveys the whole of Richard Avedon's career, starting with his first steps as a fashion photographer at the end of the Second World War.
Avedon continued to photograph the creations of the big Parisian couture houses up until 1984, working first for Harper's Bazaar and then for Vogue. Finding fashion photography too static and stuffy, he transformed it by introducing movement and photographing his models in public spaces.
He also made many portraits of celebrities from the worlds of literature, art and show business, always taking care to shatter the icon in order to reveal the true personality behind the public image.

In the 1960s, Avedon also ventured into photojournalism, covering such hot subjects as Civil Rights campaigners in the American South (1963), the Ku Klux Klan, patients in a mental hospital and the Vietnam war — both in the country itself, where he photographed military officers and napalm victims, and back home, where, a pacifist himself, he covered the hippie protests against the war.

In 1974 Avedon exhibited a series of his father, then dying of cancer, at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. During this decade he continued his fashion photography and reportage, and also produced a series of 73 portraits of America's political elite for Rolling Stone.

The early 1980s saw Avedon produce a long series of 700 portraits of middle class and poor Americans from the 17 western states. As if to refute the myth of the American West, these portraits, all taken outdoors against a white ground, show closed, tense and introverted faces with an intense but subjacent emotional power. At the end of the decade, a commission from the French magazine Égoïste gave Avedon the chance to cover the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Exhibition organized with the support of the Manufacture Jaeger-LeCoultre.

Thanks to the Hôtel Renaissance Paris Vendôme.

In partnership with À Nous Paris, Blast, Le Figaro, FIP, Paris Première, Vogue, Vogue Hommes and Télérama.

Aren't those four in post 132 of the blonde woman lounging around by Helmut Newton?

:huh:Well, now I can't remember what I had posted...and the image hosting site is gone, so I'm sorry I can't double check that.

credit: agent_lee, flickr.com

Vogue Paris June/July 2008 (HQs)

scanned by Diorette

He is so great!!! I used to have that Avedon/ Versace Photobook and I love his pictures so much!!!!!

And OMG those Warhol Factory Pictures are by him???? I had no idea, I love them so much!

Culture Club by Richard Avedon
Scanned by me from Rolling Stone

Diana Vreeland
by Richard Avedon
Rolling Stone, August 1977
my scans

Last edited by a moderator:
Cindy, Claudia, Christy and Nadja for Gianni Versace Fall-Winter 1994, I love that campaign with all my heart :heart:

Franca Sozzani, Polly Mellen, Andre Leon Talley, Liz Tilberis, Grace Coddington and more. my scans

Bill Blass, Oscar de la Renta, Calvin Klein and Isaac Mizrahi

does anyone have an HQ of this one? One of my dreams is to have a big big really big poster of this picture hanging on the wall as a piece of art. :rolleyes:

source:wallpaper.com, posted 3 pages back.

Rolling Stone tribute after his death :( source:my scan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isabelalucin
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->