Ruffo Research Is Back

runner

Reaction score
RUFFO JUSTICE

Ruffo Research is back in business after just over a year off the catwalk RUFFO RESEARCH is back in business to make a star out of Riccardo Tisci. The project, which began in 1998 and was suspended in January last year because of difficult market conditions, is credited with launching the careers of the likes of Antonio Berardi, Sophia Kokosalaki, Veronique Branquinho, Alexandre Mathieu and Haider Ackermann. "Ruffo Research is an important project that has given us visibility and helped grow the company through the collaboration with young designers, but now we want to give continuity to the line," the house owner, Giacomo Corsi, told Women's Wear Daily. Former Coccapani designer Tisci, who has also worked with Berardi, Justin Oh and Missoni, has signed a three-year contract with the house, rather than just the two-season deal that his predecessors completed. Described as a "quality designer and highly motivated" by his new boss, the 29-year-old Central Saint Martins scholar, who said the line would include a variety of fabrics and eveningwear while it would still focus on leather, said he was attracted to the job because of the prestige of the brand. "This is an avant-garde line," he said. "I feel honoured and proud to work for a company with such a tradition in artisanal craftsmanship, but also impressively efficient." (May 20 2004, AM)

vogue.co.uk

I'm glad they want continuity now. That would be better for them so the house has one image that will be indentifiable with. The designer also will be intresting to see since, well, he's new and worked with different designers.

I like the first look very much.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention runner. :flower:

Lest they forget A.F. Vandevorst???!!!

I don't know how I feel about it. After the rude way they pulled the rug from under Haider,I thought,good riddance. Apparently,he was never even told they were having problems(which were there in the beginning of his stint) and was just told that he would be leaving after the last collection. But on the other hand,I've always loved the premise of that label.

But will it last long? Unfortunately,I don't think it will have the same impact as it did before but we'll see..

And this designer they got in....some of that stuff looks like Alexandre Matthieu to me.

hmm we will ahve to wait and see.

I fidn ruffo reasearch a very good consept and a good outlet for smaller designers.

this deisgner is ok, not the best IMO.

Regardless what happened in the past,
i'm thrilled Ruffo Research is back and i quite like their new guest designer.

thanks for the news runner :flower:

here the Ruffo related article from wwd :flower:

i'm real glad they are back with their inspiring project

Ruffo Research Back With New Designer

By Luisa Zargani

MILAN — Ruffo owner Giacomo Corsi is relaunching the Ruffo Research line, which started in 1998 and was suspended in January 2003 because of difficult market conditions, and has picked Italian designer Riccardo Tisci to take on the project.

Tisci’s first collection for Ruffo, the Tuscan-based leather goods company, is to bow for spring-summer 2005. He has signed a three-year contract, a departure from the past practice in which Ruffo Research had changed designers every year, which Corsi said was a commercial limitation.

Ruffo is considered one of the finest specialty manufacturers in Italy, supplying leatherwear to Prada, Versace, Dolce & Gabbana and Roberto Cavalli, among others. Ruffo, located in Calcinaia, outside Pisa, reported sales of $24 million last year. The last Ruffo Research designer was a Belgian, Haider Ackermann, who followed Alexander Mathieu, Sophia Kokosalaki, Véronique Branquinho and Raf Simons. “Ruffo Research is an important project that has given us visibility and helped grow the company through the collaboration with young designers, but now we want to give continuity to the line,” Corsi said in a telephone interview.

Acknowledging the challenging market conditions, Corsi said, “There is room for new, innovative products.” He described Tisci, the first Italian designer to work on the line, as a “quality designer and highly motivated.”

Tisci, 29, worked with designers and fashion houses such as Antonio Berardi, Justin Oh, Stefano Guerriero, Missoni and Ratti after attending London’s prestigious Central Saint Martins on scholarship. Most recently, he revamped the Italian brand Coccapani and worked for leather goods company Fabrizio Corsi.

Tisci, known for his conceptual designs and couture-like details, said in a telephone interview that Ruffo Research reflected his style and he was attracted by the prestige of the brand.

“This is an avant-garde line, and I feel honored and proud to work for a company with such a tradition in artisanal craftsmanship, but also impressively efficient,” he said.

Corsi said with Ruffo Research, he wants to reach 100 points of sale worldwide, and focus on Japan, where Tisci has a following, and the U.S.

“This is a market which is very sensitive to an innovative product,” said Corsi, who would like to reach sales of $2.4 million in the first year. The line will also be available at the Ruffo stores in Florence, Milan and Moscow, which opened last December.

While the line will still focus on leather, it also will be more complete, with extensive research on fabrics and eveningwear pieces, Tisci said

Originally posted by Scott@May 20th, 2004 - 7:51 am
Lest they forget A.F. Vandevorst???!!!

I don't know how I feel about it. After the rude way they pulled the rug from under Haider,I thought,good riddance. Apparently,he was never even told they were having problems(which were there in the beginning of his stint) and was just told that he would be leaving after the last collection. But on the other hand,I've always loved the premise of that label.

But will it last long? Unfortunately,I don't think it will have the same impact as it did before but we'll see..

And this designer they got in....some of that stuff looks like Alexandre Matthieu to me.
...and Raf. Although they did not launch his career by any means...
I think the concept is pretty cool, keeps the label fresh. That stuff is nowhere to be found though (except some basic jackets at Bergdorf, bleh...)

updated...

Interview
Tisci's Triumph
Milan
In March of this year, Riccardo Tisci signed a three-year contract to helm the house of Ruffo Research. In May, the Italian leather house changed plans, forcing Tisci to act quickly, retreat to India and pull together his own collection that showed during Milan's fashion week. Top grade models including Karen Elson, Maria Carla Boscono and Liya Keyebe played sirens in Tisci's fantastic and moody world of sweeping, lightly embroidered dresses and dramatic tops — set against a backdrop of disused car parts and oversized black balls amid a smoky and mysterious air (an art directorial tour de force conjured up by friends Macs Iotti and Susanna Cucco of the Shelter Group). The event shook the shows last week, not for its over-the-top spending and glitzy presentation, but simply for its personal expression, organic production, and the reassurance that those fashion moments can still be experienced. Tisci discussed his fashion coup with Jason Campbell soon after his presentation.

JCR: What fascinated me about your show was the sheer joy of creative expression involved. Your friends rallied behind you and you pulled off one of the most stunning events during Milan fashion week, it was a fashion moment...

RT: As you know, I was supposed to be doing Ruffo Research. They then had a problem with the factory and stopped the collection that I was designing. For the first few days I was really lost because I had just signed a three-year contract with them just a few months earlier. So basically I found myself with nothing, but with the encouragement of friends, buyers and press, who said, you should do your own label, I said, OK fine, I'm going to India. I have friends with an embroidery company in India and I went and made a little capsule collection. Initially it was just a collection of ten pieces and while I was there I sent some pieces to friends who were very encouraging. They said, we know you don't have money, but you should do a presentation because the collection is really good. And basically all my friends worked for free. Macs [Iotti] and Susanna [Cucco] did the art direction, found me the location, and did the invitations. Maria Carla Boscono did the casting.

JCR: So that's how you were able to get those super pricey models to play theatre for your show?

RT: Maria Carla Boscono is my best friend, she's like a sister. I've known Liya for a few years and I know a few of the girls, but basically these girls heard of this young designer and they wanted to support me. They wanted to be in this project though they knew that I was not able to pay them. They said, we love your clothes and we're going to do this for free. And when four or five girls say they'll do it for free, all the other girls want to do it.

JCR: Karine Roitfeld's attendance didn't hurt?

RT: I was very shocked that Karine showed up, American Vogue, Another magazine, Dazed and Confused. It was Maria Carla who was chatting.

JCR: You went to India for a month to work on a collection that mixed a variety of dark elements including Victorian and ethnic, what gave you the confidence to go to India?

RT: When I finished school at St. Martins I had my own collection. After my graduation show, Kokon Tozai in London asked me to buy the collection, I didn't want to sell my graduation collection because there's only one you do, and I wanted to keep it as an archive. So they asked me to do a few pieces: a few dresses, t-shirts to sell in the shop. And they were really a hit, Lucinda Chambers {British Vogue} took some clothes and shot them, Bjork bought some pieces. Things went really well and for a few years and I had a Riccardo Tisci collection that was really homemade by my mom and sisters who sewed everything by hand. More press followed and I then I was offered several jobs. I was a creative director at Puma and also for Coccapani. And when you do these kinds of things, you have the confidence to do whatever else. How the aesthetic came about is that I've been collecting inspiring things, colors, etc for some time and I said to myself when I do the Riccardo Tisci line, this is where I'll go. When I decided that I would in fact do the line this summer, I took my little book of inspiration and brought it with me which allowed me to finish the collection in just a month, and it was very me.

JCR: All of this was very un-Milan in term of aesthetic, buzz, and presentation. Did it concern that you would get lost in the show shuffle in Milan?

RT: My background is 100% Italian even though I spent nine years in London studying and I am aware that my style is not very Milan. Also the way that we presented the show wasn't very Italian. Don't be mistaken, I love sexy and love a lot of things Italian. I'm a proud of my culture but there are other things I like as well. And I think that's why the show was such a big success, everyone was so shocked, they said it felt like a Paris.

JCR: Was this a big f*ck-you collection to Ruffo?

RT: This was just for myself. In a way, it wasn't their fault. It really became too complicated to send out a collection. They had a lot of labels to look after and they decided to re-launch Ruffo without planning properly. To make a collection with leather jersey, evening wear, to make a real collection, the timing was impossible.

JCR: Your contract is over then; it won't continue?

RT: I don't know what is going to happen but my contract is still on. For me though, in life, things happen for a reason. This Ruffo thing was in a way my wake up call, to say hello Ricki, probably you should be doing your own collection. I would have never found the courage to do it otherwise.

JCR: In this age of carefully strategize brand building what are the plans for your brand?

RT: At the moment, I really want to express myself. I want keep doing these small collections like this one that has only 60 pieces. For Coccopani and Puma for example, there were 200 pieces, I prefer small. And I want to be placed in the right shops.

JCR: You're selling this season?

RT: Yes, I'm in Paris this week selling the collection myself.

JCR: And where do you want to sell?

RT: Like the dream of young designers, I want to sell in all the top shops in the world. I want to be in Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, in the big fashion capitols, in the cool shops.

JCR: There's already buzz about your candidacy for the Givenchy post. Are you looking for another house to helm?

RT: I was just telling my agent today that if there's something that comes up and I feel that I really want to do, then I'll do that. I don't want to do things I don't like to do anymore. Now, I will look after myself and wait for the chance of my life.

JCR: And the Givenchy post is something that would interest you?

RT: Of course, Givenchy is a big label, it's French, and it has history. I definitely want to do a label with a history. When you do the in between, at medium sized companies, they don't necessarily have the complete team, the right pattern cutter, the right merchandiser. It's not just about fashion — it's about the making, the quality, the marketing, everything.
JC Report

interview-c_big.jpg

intervirew-g_big.jpg

I really love the clothes , their gorgeous and dramatic :heart:

beautiful, thanks for the images and the article runner

Yea, but where is the LEATHER? I only see one very Rick Owens looking jacket.

Originally posted by faust@Oct 11 2004, 10:06 AM
Yea, but where is the LEATHER? I only see one very Rick Owens looking jacket.
[snapback]393724[/snapback]​

it's not ruffo, they back out of the deal with him, it's his own line

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->