Sally Mann - Photographer

Reaction score
I'm extremely sorry if there's already a topic on her.

Sally Mann was born in 1951 in Lexington, Virginia, where she continues to live and work. She received a BA from Hollins College in 1974, and an MA in writing from the same school in 1975. Her early series of photographs of her three children and husband resulted in a series called “Immediate Family.” In her recent series of landscapes of Alabama, Mississippi, Virginia, and Georgia, Mann has stated that she “wanted to go right into the heart of the deep dark South.” Using damaged lenses and a camera that requires the artist to use her hand as a shutter, these photographs are marked by the scratches, light leaks, and shifts in focus that were part of the photographic process as it developed during the 19th century. Mann has won numerous awards, including Guggenheim and National Endowment for the Arts fellowships. Her books of photographs include “Immediate Family,” “At Twelve: Portraits of Young Women;” and “Mother Land: Recent Landscapes of Georgia and Virginia.” Her photographs are in the permanent collections of many museums, including The Museum of Modern Art and the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York, and the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, D.C. (pbs.org)

[all from http://www.art-forum.org]
SM_JessieBites1985_600-1.jpg

SM_Naptime1989_600-1.jpg

SM_TheTwoVirginias_1988_600-1.jpg

[all from pbs.org}
mann-photo-001.jpg

mann-photo-002.jpg

mann-photo-003.jpg

mann-photo2-001.jpg

mann-photo2-003.jpg

mann-photo2-004.jpg

Her work is soooo great.One of my biggest inspirations, along with Diane Arbus and Yelena Yemchuk.

I need to get some of her books.

this program about the photographer was on recently, perhaps you can catch an upcoming broadcast -- http://www.ovationtv.com/programs/276

Sally Mann: What Remains

sallymann_160x120.jpg

As one of the world's preeminent photographers, Sally Mann creates artwork that challenges viewers' values and moral attitudes. Described by Time magazine as "America's greatest photographer," she first came to international prominence in 1992 with Immediate Family, a series of complex and enigmatic pictures of her three children. In SALLY MANN: WHAT REMAINS, director Steve Cantor follows the creation of Mann's same-named series on the myriad aspects of death and decay. Never one to compromise, she reflects on her own personal feelings toward mortality as she continues to examine the boundaries of contemporary photography. At her family farm in Virginia, she is surrounded by her husband and now-grown children, and her willingness to reveal her artistic process allows the viewer to gain exclusive entrance to her world. Spanning five years, SALLY MANN: WHAT REMAINS contains unbridled access to the many stages of Mann's work, and is a rare glimpse of an eloquent and brilliant artist.
Ovation is one of the best channels on TV, definitely check it out

I went to a magnet high school, I'm not sure if a lot of people are familiar with that type of school..it's all the normal courseS that you'd take in high school, plus a magnet that you focus on. It can be theater, ballet, law..and my magnet was photography. I had to interview to get in..and at my graduation my photgraphy teacher told me the main reason he let me come into the magnet was because I said my favorite photgrapher was Sally Mann.

1z6x5f.jpg

themodern.org

Last edited by a moderator:
^Isn't the fourth photograph down her blonde daughter grown up? Because that's exactly what I would picture her looking like.

Ah ,I love Sally.What's amazing is that I don't even think she uses shutters to expose the film,she simply uses her hands.She's my biggest inspiration photography wise.

Her pictures are being shown in Copenhagen untill September 20th..

I think I had it in behind the lens, and then it got moved. I wasn't sure where to put her, because she's not really a fashion photographer.

that chid portrait with one eye slightly closed is so sad and beautiful

I just discovered Sally Mann recently, and I must say her photos have captivated me, however, as I'm sure it's been discussed, maybe not here but I'm sure elswhere... I can't decide whether that fact that her children tend to be nude in many of the pictures is disturbing or alright. I mean in general I'm not one of for nude photographs, in any realm or situation, however I mean go to a museum with older paintings and so many of them are nude portraits or sculptures, and you don't see most folks turning up their noses at that, it's just art, the say. But photographs are art as well, and I do think Sally Mann's photos are for the most part tasteful, still... I mean do you think her children normally roamed about nude, or did she make them undress for photos? :unsure: :ninja:

Anyway, whatever the case, I do think she's talented, and her children lovely subjects as well, though I think I prefer her kids best when they're clothed. :P

She's said that it was natural for them to be nude. I pretty sure she didn't say "Ok now take off your clothes"

That's really a common thing in the south. When I was younger I never wore clothes at home. I think that's why I've never found her that controversial.

No one really talked a lot about her series "What Remains" which featured human corpses. I guess children are more controversial than human remains?

After watching an interview with her on "Charlie Rose" (you can see the interview here, though you'll have to wait til near the end: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2205509872699561748&hl=en) and reading some interviews, Sally Mann has officially taken the title of my favorite photographer. ^_^

Am reading "What Remains" right now, ordered "Immediate Family", which I'm quite excited about, as well as waiting for my Netflix DVD of "What Remains: The Life And Work of Sally Mann"... however I'm wondering, I just noticed that there was an earlier documentary short by the same director of "What Remains", called "Blood Ties: The Life And Work of Sally Mann", although some list it as "Blood Ties: The Life and Times of Sally Mann"... I've looked all over and can't find where I can rent or buy the DVD... does anyone have any idea? Or has anyone seen it? :unsure: :flower:

Photos Source: picsearch.com

Attachments

• 2625320097_df18b4454f_o.jpg
    2625320097_df18b4454f_o.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 9
  • mann115.jpg
    mann115.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 8
  • mann114.jpg
    mann114.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Mann.jpg
    Mann.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 9
  • mth.jpg
    mth.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 8
  • anbk17.jpg
    anbk17.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 9
  • mann_sally_01_b1951_5k.jpg
    mann_sally_01_b1951_5k.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Mann_Sally_w01.jpg
    Mann_Sally_w01.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 127
  • photo_17.jpg
    photo_17.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Mann_Virginia.jpg
    Mann_Virginia.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 10
^ I've seen it, it's just a shorter version of the What Remains DVD. The footage is included on What Remains, for the most part.

Can't resist bringing this thread back to life again...I'm always stirred and inspired by her work. ^_^

Photos found through picsearch.com

:flower:

Attachments

• 1994_46 copy.jpg
    1994_46 copy.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 55740_273104.jpg
    55740_273104.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 166
  • artwork_images_424705927_292331_sally-mann.jpg
    artwork_images_424705927_292331_sally-mann.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 13