Self Service #48 S/S 2018

Melancholybaby

Reaction score
Azzedina Alaia by Ezra Petronio

Edwina Preston by Ezra Petronio

Last edited by a moderator:
Cara Taylor by Zoe Ghertner

Last edited by a moderator:
I oddly like Ezra's cover over the rest. Great composition. Looking forward to that edit.

Times change.... Ezra Petronio shoots more covers of his own magazine :lol:

The one and the only magazine. I don't give a damn about almost all the rest.

Although sometimes I hate the fact that Ezra shoots everything, I really thank him for still giving me this treasure season after season.

I'm just moved by Azzedine cover. You can really feel the warm, the intimacy.

I don't think Koller is involved with the magazine anymore. She did start styling for T magazine from the beginning of Feb though...

EXCLUSIVE: Azzedine Alaïa Fronts Self Service

The late couturier stars on one of three covers for the title’s latest issue, which includes a tribute portfolio curated by Joe McKenna.

By Katya Foreman on February 26, 2018

AZZEDINE FOREVER: “The aim was to play on the duality of the past and the future,” said Ezra Petronio, cofounder of Self Service magazine, which has dedicated one of three covers from its latest print issue to Azzedine Alaïa, who would have marked his birthday today.

The intimate shot of Alaïa in his atelier, smiling shyly at the camera with his arms protectively wrapped around himself, was taken by Petronio in 2003, using a Big Shot Polaroid à la Andy Warhol.

“Alaïa was such as strong outspoken character, but this captures such a tender moment. It’s very touching, actually,” said the photographer, who has built an archive of around 3,000 portraits of industry personalities throughout his career.

Stylist Joe McKenna curated a portfolio for the issue – dubbed “Changing Times” and due out on March 1 – featuring a self-penned tribute to the couturier who died in November, as well as pieces by “all sorts of artists and photographers” featuring “key family members around Alaïa,” Petronio said.

The decision to put Alaïa on the cover, as an empowerer of women and “true designer,” was also “a sign of the times,” added Petronio referring to the industry shifts that are taking place, including the departure of Phoebe Philo at Céline.

It contrasts with the “immediacy” of the other covers that are “more geared to the future,” including one featuring model Edwina Preston in a blue tulle look by Off-White, also lensed by Petronio.
Edwina Preston in Off-White for Self Service.

Edwina Preston in Off-White for Self Service. Ezra Petronio

Petronio, who founded the title in 1994 with his former partner Suzanne Koller, said the aim was to return to the core values of the magazine – with “strong characters, strong design, more emotion, authenticity” – while staying youthful and embracing change and new technology.

The 404-page issue also includes conversations between CSR experts Tara Norton and Elisa Niemtzow, as well as actress Noomi Rapace and Givenchy’s Clare Waight Keller, who talk about their respective approaches to the creative process.
The third cover of the Self Service issue.

The third cover of the Self Service issue. Zoë Ghertner

Petronio said the title was among the first to feature moving images and “made-to-measure moving advertising” for the iPad, and a shop-the-look augmented reality story with retailers including Colette and Matches in a previous edition. “Anja Rubik was walking around the pages and talking to you.”

The title next year will celebrate its 25th anniversary, with a series of exhibitions in the works.

Advertising revenue – both for print and digital – continues to increase, Petronio said. The title has a circulation of around 25,000 with an average 85 percent sell through, he said.

The frequency for the bi-annual print magazine – “an expensive-looking object” – isn’t set to change, but activity on the digital site, focused on advertorials and stories, continues to accelerate.

Source: WWD.com

^ Suzanne styled Zoe Ghertner cover with Cara. I'm not sure how involved she is with Self Service though.

Alaia on the cover to celebrate "true designer"

The other cover Off-White

:lol:

Alaia on the cover to celebrate "true designer"

The other cover Off-White

:lol:

I guess it's safe to assume you're not a fan of this magazine, Lewak? :wink:

Petronio happens to be one of the few photos who managed to Alaia in his closing years. This is a rare victory of sorts for SS.

I prefer not to even think of Off-White while looking at the 2nd cover. It'll ruin it for me.

I liked this magazine more 5 years ago, but will always look at it. (In truth I find it every expensive for what I get....)

I was trying to point out the IRONY :doh:

This magazine can sometimes impress me but this is clearly not the case. Expected and boring.

^ Suzanne styled Zoe Ghertner cover with Cara. I'm not sure how involved she is with Self Service though.

Suzanne is still styling eds for Self Service these days.

But during her tenure as Fashion Director of Vogue Paris, she was absent from this magazine. Maybe it was a restriction listed in her contract?

’The Obsessions’

Photographer: Sean Thomas
Model: Edita Vilkeviciute

seanthomasphotography

Ezra's cover with a different model could've been fantastic.

'The Model Mothers'

Photographer: Sean Thomas
Models: Natasha Poly, Malgosia Bela, Nadja Auermann, Joana Preiss

The same concept they used for the Spring/Summer 2016 issue.

seanthomasphotography

The Obsessions
Photography Marton Pelaki
Styling Malina Joseph
Models Joan Smalls, Lineisy Montero, Anok Yai, Aamito Lagum
Make up Yumi Lee
Hair Tamas Tuzes
Set Whitney Hellesen
Casting Patrizia Pilotti

the webber artists

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics