Self Service #56 S/S 2022 : Rianne van Rompaey by Karim Sadli & Virgil Abloh by Ezra Petronio

Alt posted this on Instagram!

So happy to see her work. But David Sims… ugh

And some previews of Rianne’s editorials!!! :D:D I need to get my hands on some of the items in this ed…

Ordered her cover today. Hopefully won’t be long till it reaches Spain…

We appear to be witnessing the growth of Tyler Mitchell beyond the shackles of mediocrity that American Vogue usually has on their artists. It's really nice to see! I really enjoyed his work in M Le Monde last week and this seems like another rather solid editorial.
Can't say that I'm too obsessed with Rianne's story, but she looks beautiful as ever. An interesting theme that could've benefited from better styling and a bit of old school glamour. I like the Sims editorial, not my favorite but definitely intrigued. Love the mood! And love seeing Emanuelle active in magazines after her departure from Vogue Paris. You're doing amazing sweetie!

We appear to be witnessing the growth of Tyler Mitchell beyond the shackles of mediocrity that American Vogue usually has on their artists. It's really nice to see! I really enjoyed his work in M Le Monde last week and this seems like another rather solid editorial.
Absolutely, and facilitated in no small part by Art Partner who recognizes the industry's pivot towards Europe at the moment. The whole "Vogue's first black photographer" shtick plays well in US magazines and art galleries, but is not enough to sustain the career of a bankable commercial photographer, which is why it is becoming crucial that US-based photographers like Mitchell spend more time cultivating relationships with magazines, brands and stylists in Europe. In doing so, they are able to work with a wider set of blue-chip brands and their work is simultaneously elevated from the insipid commercial imagery that most US magazines and brands demand these days.

Europe is where the real money is for fashion creatives right now and Art Partner (and other agencies) know it and are ensuring all of their young creatives take advantage of it. Ethan James Green too, is spending more time in Paris (his latest LV campaign is a testament to that). I just hope that it elevates their work and 'visions' in the long-term and that these strong stories (like Mitchell's story here in Self Service and M Le Monde last week) are not simply flukes, the result of the strong teams around them.

Absolutely, and facilitated in no small part by Art Partner who recognizes the industry's pivot towards Europe at the moment. The whole "Vogue's first black photographer" shtick plays well in US magazines and art galleries, but is not enough to sustain the career of a bankable commercial photographer, which is why it is becoming crucial that US-based photographers like Mitchell spend more time cultivating relationships with magazines, brands and stylists in Europe. In doing so, they are able to work with a wider set of blue-chip brands and their work is simultaneously elevated from the insipid commercial imagery that most US magazines and brands demand these days.

Europe is where the real money is for fashion creatives right now and Art Partner (and other agencies) know it and are ensuring all of their young creatives take advantage of it. Ethan James Green too, is spending more time in Paris (his latest LV campaign is a testament to that). I just hope that it elevates their work and 'visions' in the long-term and that these strong stories (like Mitchell's story here in Self Service and M Le Monde last week) are not simply flukes, the result of the strong teams around them.

Very true. Everything is happening in Europe lately and precisely in Paris.

I know some american agents staying there for weeks to meet many people etc. The last two works from Mitchell are very good and it is nice to see him evolving.

Will definitely buy this issue.

^ more with Tess Breeden, Amar Akway, Emily Miller & Majesty Amare:

talent.maworldgroup

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"