Semi-shaved hairstyles

i like Lala s and Carmen s the best
not too edgy and they pull it off well

Alice suits hers. But Rihanna? :huh:
Now I am expecting to see this hairstyle all over now.

Rihanna has shaved her head again, am I correct in thinking that she has had it shaved before?

http://www.heatworld.com/Article/113...do-you-like-it

21o0oao.png

Splashnews / nymag.com

It looks good on some people. On others it just looks plain stupid.

so far carmen s the best

carmen_electra_shaved_head-3-214x300.jpg

Lala

lala-new-haircut-300x225.jpg

Cassie

cassie.jpg

Selma Blair
selma-blair.jpg

Kelis

kelis.jpg

Melody Eshani
melody-eshani.jpg

Model Alice Dellal

alice-dellal.jpg

Singer Jack Davey

jack-davey.jpg

jjb

^ I was just about to post Jack Davey; here's another image.

jdavey.jpg

floortwo.wordpress.com

Selma doesn't make sense. The hairdo is pretty uniform in clubland, loads of shaved sides and long on top, we were sporting it about two years ago, but mainstream culture doesn't make sense having such extreme looks.

^The way you described it makes this new style sound like the new MULLET. :ninja:

Urgh, don't! It pretty much is going that way, as much as I hate to admit it. Hoxton is full to the brim of shaved sides. I grew mine out about eight months ago....I don't like sharing hairdo's. It's why I got rid of bleached blonde, it's far too common.

Selma. :ninja:

I am not liking this. I connect this hairstyle with a certain lifestyle and it just does NOT work on people like Selma. She looks so poser in it.

Just like with the whole hippie look. I'm so sick of seeing it mainstream.

But if you can walk the walk, this style is so bada**.

^ I was just about to post Jack Davey; here's another image.

**please do not quote images**

floortwo.wordpress.com

I have no idea who this is, but they are one of the few mentioned in this thread that seem to be able to pull this look off. Totally has the style and attitude to match an edgy haircut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh a thread of lookalikes. I'll pass:flower:

Kelis seems like the most authentic. Her style suits it. The rest are questionable or plain posers.

The usual suspects. I could barely notice Carmen's in that picture.

nymag.com

this has also been trendy for a long time in queer-land, i've been seeing the girly/androgynous undercut/grown-out-faux-hawk on stylish queer ladies for a while now. eg: http://www.autostraddle.com/girl-on-gallery-alternative-lifestyle-haircuts/

and when your hair is short already, this just kind of grows out to that sort of forward-combed top-heavy messy-faux-hakwy-pixie a la aggy back in the day:
Agyness%20Deyn%20NME%20Awards%202008.jpg

therunwayscoop.com

also think it works a lot better for short haired girls -- if your hair is short it's just another variation rather that isn't too awkward to grow out. kate lanphear, for instance -- just made it look like a trendier update of her former blonde bob, and it won't be TOO much of a nightmare to grow out.

i think the more subtle disconnects can get the same effect in a much more subtle way too:
rubyroseALH.jpg

autostraddle.com again

i had a weird disconnect a few months back where my hair was shaved very close at my left temple, but as i essentially had a pixie it just sort of grew out into side-bangs, wasn't a problem at all.

i don´t get why some women wanna do that look to their hair.
especially when they have loooong, beautiful and shiny hair!
it just do not make any sense in my books.

in shorter styles it can look cute but only if that shaved part is not totally shaved...

^^ because everyone has their own preference and wants their hair/style/fashion/appearance to convey certain social messages :smile:

i think the queer thing i just mentioned is a great example of this -- imagine you're a nonheterosexual woman who feels most comfortalbe in skirts, heels, makeup, long hair... there's a frustration that comes along with being 'femme' that is not being VISIBLY obvious as a woman who is into other women. having part of your hair cut quite short is one of those 'indicators' of things that are 'more common among the queer community' while preserving the longer hair and 'feminine' appearance that's more comfortable to you -- of course this isn't always the case and by no means says that this haircut means you're gay or anything!! just using it as a (personal) example of a social motivator for an 'ugly' style.

there's also this other thing i know i've always done which is to deliberately avoid being 100% conventionally pretty, because i don't want to associate with folks who are only into that, and while i've toned it down as i grew up (no longer 'need to make myself look the opposite of the popular high school kids') i still am definitely more attracted to things which are not 'beautiful' and that are darker, edgier, more 'conceptual' or 'reference' things rather than being 'pretty'.

there's plenty of 'not-pretty' looks out there that people love because of their social indicators or references -- black nail polish, more goth looks, tanning themselves completely orange, unusual hair cuts and colours, giant dinosaur claw heels, white-painted faces, practically all couture -- and that's what makes fashion all so interesting :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->