Shanghai Shopping

Spacemiu

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a friend, can I have some recomendations for shops in Shanghai?

Originally posted by faust@Dec 3 2004, 08:57 AM
Try Superfuture It's down for me right now though...
[snapback]449018[/snapback]​

yeah i already tried, it wouldn't work so i thought I'd ask.

My sister-in-law and her husband is going to Shanghai next year..and I was wondering if there was any smart buys (clothes, accessories, cosmetics..) ..that are cheaper in China, that I could ask them to bring back.
I know Shiseido for instance is supposed to be a lot cheaper in Japan...but I have no idea what the bargains are in China..any ideas ?
:flower:

Yes, thats true.
Three on the bund has yohji and giorgio armani.
Also, shanghai has I.T.

I was just in Shanghai, and they have a variety of high end shops.

The largest concentration is at the Nanjing Xi Rd. with the Plaza 66, and Citic Square shopping malls.

From Chanel to Versace to Hermes. There is also a Sogo with Westwood, Gaultier, etc. further on.

In the Xintiandi bar area is I.T. and the Bund has Three, and 18 which is Armani, and Cartier respectively. Three on the Bund has this shop selling Yohji, Demeulemeester too.

Incroyable said:
I was just in Shanghai, and they have a variety of high end shops.
Lucky you Incroy..I'm dying to know if you bought anything unique..or just things that were plain steals compared to western prizes.

Hanne said:
Lucky you Incroy..I'm dying to know if you bought anything unique..or just things that were plain steals compared to western prizes.
I didn't purchase any of the labels since the selection is the same as in the U.S. and the prices are much higher due to import duties.

However I did purchase some local items.

Oddly they have this very large outlet mall across the aeroport with banners for Versace, and Dunhill, et al.

Incroyable said:
However I did purchase some local items.
I'm just as interested in learning what interesting local products there are to be bought :flower:

Hanne said:
I'm just as interested in learning what interesting local products there are to be bought :flower:
Oh, they had some Mandarin collared jackets in various fabrics such as cashmere, velvets, etc. that were quite well-cut.Although they were not in the most accessible pricepoints that one might expect in China.

Also items that were influenced in parts of Dior Homme perhaps. Actually not terrible quality.

I lived in shanghai for a couple months. left last week...

Incroyable pretty much covered everything.

the major shopping areas in shanghai are
nanjing dong rd, huai hai rd
xiang yang market (fake everything... bags, dvds, mont blanc pens, custo t shirts, timberland and puma shoes etc. etc.. )
nanjing xi rd (upscale designer stores, chanel hermes gucci prada..)
xintiandi's IT and waitan's 3 on the bund (best selection of clothes in shanghai IMO)

but i wouldnt recommend shopping at nanjing xi rd because things are so much more expensive in shanghai than in the states... :blink:
(ie. mj multipocket-> approx. 1200USD in shanghai, when it costs 900USD in states, on sale during thanksgiving for 600USD)

not much local stuff to buy either. you can get some "chinese" clothes from shanghai tang, but they are pretty expensive.. usually people go to china and stock up on fake dvds ($1 each)

Incroyable said:
How did you manage to bring those in through customs?

haha that's what I'm wondering. I know the pirated DVD's come in those really thin packets but still 500 is a crapload. I get paranoid bringing one pirated DVD back from Hong Kong.

Same here... I become paranoid when I try and bring back the dvds.
You know Sino Center in Mong Kok FTB?
They always seem to get raided when I have time to go there.. quite annoying.

I wonder how much shanghai has changed from when I was there 5 years ago.

raijin said:

yeah I go to Sino Center all the time...especially when I stay at my Grandparents house which is close by, in Ho Man Tin. Never been in a raid, but the new policy for buying DVD's where you have to wait 45 minutes to an hour before they bring it to you is annoying...it makes sense but i hate waiting while walking around aimlessly. I can only look at the sneakers for so long :lol:

Yes, the new policy is a bit annoying.
One time I had to go through a string of people that directed me to different places until I ended up at the top floor of another building.
But at least I got my dvds. :lol:

Maybe we can meet up some time when we are both in HK.

raijin said:

i dont know how shanghai was 5 years ago, but its still pretty easy to buy DVDs.. they still sell them everywhere, the price dropped to 6 yuan per DVD.. (from 7yuan... yeah it doesnt make that much a difference but still B) )
it really doesnt matter if shops get raided or not, because there are tons of places to buy dvds all over shanghai anyways...

i left shanghai with 200+ DVDs but didnt get caught by customs for some reason..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lofo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->