Sheer tights F/W 05.06

urd

Reaction score
00120m.jpg

00090m.jpg

sheer thights are item of the week at style.com (pics stella mccartney fw05, style.com)

what do you guys think?

I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up opaque just yet. I'll freeze without them. but I believe sheer thights are a fresh change for warmer weather.

sheer back thights with colourfull pumps:heart:

I like both opaque and sheer depending on the look I'm going for. If it's a bit more 'glam' and sophisticated, i'll opt for sheer. I wasn't really into them until about 4 months ago when isaac mizrahi mentioned he loved 'black sheer tights with a trenchcoat' which i thought was great imagery.

if i'm going for a younger more mod-ish look, i'll stick with opaque.

I never know what to think of this opaque v. sheer thing especially since different magazines say different things.
I wear both....whatever I can get out of my clean laundry...:blush:

to be honest, due to their skinny legs and otherworldly features, models look good in sheer black stockings, but for regular folk i think a sheer black stocking looks quite 'early 90's' :yuk:

i will need some more convincing i think :lol:

I saw a girl recently in town...with sheer blue tights like the ones posted above and a satin puffball skirt...she looked like a smurf in a nappy, so certainly not the blue ones for me.

I agree with meg sheers tend to go better as a more sophisticated look, but I love opaque...especially if people are wearing a shortish skirt with boots...it stops it looking tarty. I just really love black opaque tights in general.

opaque will always be in no matter what vogue says :heart:

like fff said, I think opaque is a good choice with short skirt or shorts.

and now I can't get Meg's "trenchcoat with black sheers" -image out of my head. maybe if I wear it, it'll go away.. (see you at "what are you wearing today"...)

brian said:
opaque will always be in no matter what vogue says :heart:

you tell it like it is brian. ^_^ I agree, opaque will never go out. it's very practical and enables me to wear skirts in the winter without freezing to death. opaque is also nice because it's a bit more casual, go everywhere. sheer tights are interesting though, especially proper seamed ones...very 40s and glam. :smile:

ooh I agree utopia! Seamed tights are so sexy!

I also wear both,depending on the look I'm going for. Can't see myself throwing out the opaques...but I'm happy to hear that I'm not at too much fault occasionally wearing sheer:smile: Sometimes,for the balance of an outfit,they are just necessary.

I refuse to believe!! Maybe the fact that I bought 5 pairs of opaques yesterday is swaying my view :P

But, seriously, I don't think opaques will ever go out. It's kin to black imo. Here to stay. I like sheers too though. It's all about the occassion as has already been mentioned :flower:

Great thread Urd! Karma for you!

I think sheer tights are perfect for the summer season while opaque are better for fall and begining of winter... Both are nice, but I agree with you on this Trend Spotting.... It's going to be huge...... :flower:

uh...technically...
it they are sheer...
they are not tights
they are pantyhose or 'hose' for short...

tights are opaque and semi-opaque...:flower:
*except maybe in england where they call everything tights it seems...:huh:

i think that they both serve a different purpose...
but i can see how sheer hose would make a comeback now...
with all the black and grey heavy clothing that is so strong this fall...
wearing all blk with blk opaque legs can tend to get really 'heavy' and dark...
so a sheer leg adds another tone/texture and 'lightens up' the look...
i have been leaning towards it myself with certain outfits...

but just as everyone has said...
they each serve a purpose and a function...
so it's important to have a selection of both tights and sheer hose in your wardrobe...

i will always wear opaque and textured tights...
love it...
it's part of my signature style...
:heart:

**one easy and good rule of thumb is opaques with boots and
sheer with shoes...

at least until you get good at it and then you can get more adventurous...
hosiery can be so much fun!!!...
:P

I prefer sheer black tights..I think they're lovely. Most of mine are sheer black, though I do own some opaque ones too. I find that opaque tights make my legs look very child-like, as if they belong to a 12 year old. :lol:
Love how others can pull them off though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like sheer tights, except the ones with a print, but I really prefer opaque because it keeps you warm too :wink:

Totally agree with Utopia on seamed tights..... The editorial with Gemma Ward in Vogue Paris in early 2005 I think, featuring Erotico-chic, she was wearing tights with a linear seam on the back........ So gorgeous...

I never really liked sheer tights until this year.... I bought a pair that I thought would be a bit less sheer, but they turned out REALLY sheer.... I always associated sheer hose with tackiness, but they're quite gorgeous actually..... The only problem is they easily get ripped, which I don't really mind because I am starting to distress them a lot (like in my current Selma Blair neo goth avatar...).... :innocent:

Sheer tights are quite sexy in my opinion, you can easily see through the shape of the knees, which I find very intriguing. I think sheer tights go hand in hand very well with the minimalism trend and black trend, much more than opaque tights...

To be honest, I like both equally, I choose opaque or sheer based on the weather outside! :flower:

I only like sheer BLACK or SOFT GREY tights. Not in other flashy colors. :doh:

The blue Celine pantyhose are surprisingly cute... I think colored hose can work when they're extra-sheer and not paired with anything too flashy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->