Shirley MacLaine is Coco Chanel

Ecko_Angel

Reaction score
Lifetime Movie about the life of Coco Chanel.

Lifetime Television will premiere the three-hour Lifetime Original Movie Event "Coco Chanel," the story of the celebrated, strong-willed haute couture giant who faced life with an unparalleled sense of style and panache. Six-time Academy Award® nominee and winner Shirley MacLaine ("Terms of Endearment," "In Her Shoes") stars in the title role of the rags-to-riches tale of the woman named by Time Magazine as one of the most influential people of the 20th century. The movie also stars Golden Globe® nominee Malcolm McDowell ("A Clockwork Orange," "Heroes") as Marc Bouchier, Chanel’s confidante and business associate. Barbora Bobulova ("In Love and War," "La Spettaerice") portrays the pioneering couturier in her early days of love and loss. "Coco Chanel" premieres Saturday, September 13 at 8:00pm ET/PT on Lifetime Television.

"Coco Chanel" begins in 1954, as Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel (MacLaine) suffers a professional and personal crisis. After a 15-year absence, she has reopened her famed couture house with a comeback collection. Unfortunately, she and her business partner Marc Bouchier (McDowell) are shocked when the critics and customers reject it. In reflection, Coco recounts her humble beginnings and how similar feelings of abandonment by her father inspired her lifelong series of doomed love relationships that fueled her fiery ambition to succeed.

As the years pass after WWII, Coco faces turbulence in her business and vows to redeem herself after the failed comeback collection. Within three seasons, Coco updates her classic designs, including the Chanel suit and enjoys a newfound respect. The Chanel suit becomes a status symbol for a new generation, proving that Coco and Chanel will never go out of style.

Source: www.myLifetime.com

I thought there was alredy a thread about this? :unsure:

I can not wait too see it, here is a little tidbit from Entertaiment magazine:

Source : Tpf

^^Oh ok, then i guess i got it wrong :blush: there have been several production's about CC guess this one is new.

Shirley will just nail it, she has that spunk like Coco had, i can not wait to see this.

I can't wait to see this either. I know she will be amazing!

is this a movie?

Ooh, I can't wait to see it. I was flipping through the channels last night, and there is already a little commercial for it. They didnt say the date it was airing in it, but I think it's just a promo to get and keep people interested.

^^ :woot: Really?Aw i would love to see a preview clip for it, hopefully its uploaded to YT.

What www.vogue.co.uk said:

A NEW made-for-television film, Coco Chanel - which claims to be "freely inspired by the truth" - has been savaged by critics for its lack of structure, factual inaccuracies and "wooden" acting.
The film - currently airing on the US network Lifetime - is set in two parts; Shirley McLaine plays the "older" Chanel to Barbara Bobulova's younger incarnation, with the two apparently bearing "no resemblance to one another other than they both like a well-cut suit".
"The first part quickly jumps to Chanel and her lovers (played by Oliver Sitruk and Sagamore Stevenin), who are all as wooden as a dressmaker's dummies," writes New York Post TV critic Linda Stasi. "The only thing that saves them are their thick accents, which makes you think maybe something got lost in translation. Clearly the filmmakers are striving for La Vie En Rose, but end up with La Vie En Dull."
Here's hoping the upcoming big screen biopic of Coco Chanel's early life, Coco Avent Chanel, starring Audrey Tatou and Alessandro Nivola, fares a little better.
Leisa Barnett

The 'lifetime movie' ruins it. I hate those types of films. I'll probably see it sometime because it's Shirley MacLaine, but I'm anticipating the Audrey Tautou one more!

That UK Vogue review is a mess, they got several things wrong, so i would hardly call it credible.

yeah the commercial looks interesting
i see it soo many times makes me more anxious every time

Its premiring next saturday (9/13). I really hope it depicts her life well. She was such an interesting woman.

I agree fashionable24/7, I hope it is accurate and interesting and doesn't do all the 'lifetime stuff'.

Im kind of excited to see this, but I want to see the Audrey Tatou one much much more.

Oh yeah style-addict, Coco avant Chanel is going to be a must see for me too. I really think its going to be better because its not going to be a lifetime movie and a French actress is playing the part of Coco. Can't wait either.

I'm and hour and a half into this movie and see little hope.

I didn't like it, point blank. It was very hard to stay focused on the tv, my mind kind of wandered throughout the movie, it didnt keep my attention. I just wasnt impressed- but keep in mind, it's Lifetime.

It was awful....so incredibly cliche and sappy, the script was a disaster and so corny and the acting was just plain bad. I didn't even bother finishing it. Plus...there was no fashion in it! It was all about her love triangle and her hats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->