Signature Items

Starling

Reaction score
Hello, does anybody have a link or can maybe write a list of the signature items or garments each fashion house has?
For example what are the signature garments associated with Prada, Gucci, Balenciaga and so on.

I need this information for a project.
Thanks in advance!

style.com has a large library of photos of past collections, as does vogue.co.uk.

You'll actually learn something if you peruse the collections yourself and identify the recurring themes, recurring garments, etc.

I meant more specifik garments or items, what garment is associated with a certain fashion house or brand.
Like when you think of Hermes you will think the Kelly or Birkin bags.
What items do you associate with Marni, Costume National or other brands?

I associate Marni with plus sized clothes, everything Marni does is too fat looking.
And when someone says Roberto Cavalli I automatically think try hard wannabe trash.

Thanks guys, this is what i need.
Keep it coming :smile:

By the way, Missoni has the signature zig-zag pattern, but what specifik garment are they most famous for?

I do understand what you're looking for...I'm just reluctant to do people's schoolwork for them. If you really need help, there's a reference librarian somewhere near you who actually gets paid to help answer difficult questions, and would probably appreciate some job security. ^_^

Unless your project is specifically to "Poll the fashion cognoscenti to identify signature garments for major fashion houses." If that's your assignment, then bring it on, but if your instructions were to identify them yourself, I'll wish you good luck and leave you to it.

Call me old and cranky, but my education predates the Internet (barely), and we had to be more self-reliant then. I'm a firm believer that the best thing you can gain from education in any field is the ability to be a lifelong, self-directed learner. :flower: <-- me as the romantic fool I am.

christian dior - 'new look' suit

john galliano - bias-cut dress

versace - embroidered gowns, s&m inspired clothing

balenciaga - 'cocoon' and bubble shapes

comme des garcons - deconstructed garments

alaia - the little black dress (updated)

chanel - lbd, gold chains and the quilted bag... tweed suit

yves saint laurent - peasant blouse, safari jacket, le smoking

jil sander - crisp minimal blouses and pants

donna karan - fluid jersey dresses

prada - the day suit, secretary chic

alexander mcqueen - the bumster

hope that helps

Chanel also the pearls (multiple strands of pearls) and the costume jewelry.
Roberto Cavalli - animal print
Vivienne Westwood - corset and crinoline
Ralph Lauren - Preppy look and "power suit"
Narciso Rodriguez - Architectural, sculptural dresses

Last edited by a moderator:
The Baron said:
I do understand what you're looking for...I'm just reluctant to do people's schoolwork for them. If you really need help, there's a reference librarian somewhere near you who actually gets paid to help answer difficult questions, and would probably appreciate some job security. ^_^

Unless your project is specifically to "Poll the fashion cognoscenti to identify signature garments for major fashion houses." If that's your assignment, then bring it on, but if your instructions were to identify them yourself, I'll wish you good luck and leave you to it.

Call me old and cranky, but my education predates the Internet (barely), and we had to be more self-reliant then. I'm a firm believer that the best thing you can gain from education in any field is the ability to be a lifelong, self-directed learner. :flower: <-- me as the romantic fool I am.

First of all i never stated it was for "schoolwork".
Secondly; Yes, maybe a part of my project is to "Poll the fashion cognoscenti to identify signature garments for major fashion houses."
Belive me, i have a purpose with this thread.
Still though i understand your point, because i also always emphasize on deeper learning.
Thanks anyway.

Starling said:
Thanks guys, this is what i need.
Keep it coming :smile:

By the way, Missoni has the signature zig-zag pattern, but what specifik garment are they most famous for?

The stripes. When you see stripes it's Missoni DEFINATELY (not necessarily zig-zag).:wink:

Starling said:
First of all i never stated it was for "schoolwork".
Secondly; Yes, maybe a part of my project is to "Poll the fashion cognoscenti to identify signature garments for major fashion houses."

OK, that's cool. It's just that I've gotten so used to people popping into forums (particularly when they have very few posts to their credit) and basically asking to have their homework done for them that I presumed that's what you meant by "for a project". My apologies for misapprehending your intent.

Here are a few contributions to salve any open wounds I may have caused. :D

Vivienne Westwood - bondage straps; slashed clothing; "pirate" looks; asymmetrical cuts; and a lot of what has now become the punk look

Prada - bags and shoes. The clothes are well-respected, but their reputation rests largely on the bags and shoes. The nylon bags with the triangle logo are one of their bread-and-butter items.

Helmut Lang - Minimalist denim, cleverly treated or finished denim, clingy/stretchy t-shirts, bondage straps (redux)

Louis Vuitton - all about the bags, of course

Issey Miyake - probably the most instantly identifiable garments are the pleated items; intricate pleats, clever applications of pleats

Raf Simons - sharply tailored suiting; extremes of proportion (very skinny legs or very wide legs, etc.); sweatshirts and hoodies with patch appliques

Dior Homme - skinny-leg jeans; suiting with a very sleek 60's-modernist-inspired shape - narrow lapels and flat front narrow-leg trousers

Balenciaga - cigarette pants with a slightly-high, squarish waist (recently); bubble shapes (classic)

Walter van Beirendonck - strong ethnic influences from a variety of sources; anything with the "naked Walter" icon on

Ann Demeulemeester - flowing, moving forms; B&W photographic screen prints

Hermes - bags, yes, but also well-known on the Homme side for the ties

Chanel - Chanel No. 5, the pioneer in synthetic fragrances

Comme des Garcons - avant garde fragrances; seams-on-the-outside or reversible clothing

Imitation of Christ - modified thrift-shop clothing; reproductions of thrift-store clothing

Martin Margiela - Garments reconstructed or merged from other garments (t-shirts grafted from bits of 3 other t-shirts, a vest merged with a blazer, etc.)

I really do understand your concern, thank you very much for your help i appreciate it!
The purpose of this thread is association, how fashion-conscious people associate with different fashion houses and designers.
Kind of like "What's the first thing that comes into your mind when you hear..."

Alberta Ferretti - Long, flowey, romantic chiffon dresses.
Anna Sui - Day dresses, hippie chic, crazy eclectic patterns.
Balenciaga - Big and volumnous, the "cocoon" shape.
Burberry - The Nova check, trench coats, brocade dresses.
Chanel - Tweed jackets, black and white, quilted leather.
Chloé - Oversized clothing, clean lines, very "girly" clothes.
Christian Dior - Bias cut dresses.
Calvin Klein - Clean lines, structured dresses.
Fendi - Fur (that's all I can think of).
Gucci - Gucci print, acessories.
Hermes - Birkin bag, leather acessories.
Jil Sander - Minimalism.
Lanvin - Little black dresses, cocktail dresses.
Louis Vuitton - LV monogram, handbags.
Marc Jacobs - Grungey, lots of layers, metal chains on handbags.
Missoni - The "Missoni" print, lots of optomistic colors.
Prada - Acessories such as nylon bags, shoes.
Roberto Cavalli - Animal prints.
Valentino - The red dresses, romantic.
Versace - Sexy "Oscar" dresses, embroidery, flashy.

Jean-Paul Gaultier: the pointy bra. Feminity.

I'd add the pearls to Lanvin too. The pearls "wrapped" in silk they had a season or two ago,I think they have become quite recognizable. Can't describe them properly, but I hope someone gets what I'm after here.

Karl Lagerfled - goth chic looks, fingerless black gloves, black and white suits with metalic details, denim/leather skirts.

Emilio Pucci - geometric prints
Paco Rabanne - disc dresses (particularly rhodoid)

I'm so happy this question was asked rarely do you see all the top designers signature items in one place. Like a trip down memory lane! :-)

Dior - bar jacket

Roger Vivier - buckle pumps (mid-heel), comma heel pumps

Manolo Blahnik - colorful sandals..mules(he loves mules so much)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->