Who REALLY makes what?

anna karina said:
i agree that it's two different things
but then please try to talk about 'who makes what' here only:flower:

Good point!

CIT S.p.a. , an Italian shirt maker, also makes the shirts for Bagutta, some of Armani's lines, and Basile.

Belvest makes suits for MANY European brands, like Hermes, LV, etc.

Santoni makes sneakers for Hermes. John Lobb makes SOME of the leather-soled shoes.

Edward Green makes shoes for Ralph Lauren Purple Label.

I heard that Sergio Rossi makes shoes for Gucci, but don't know for sure.. Makes sense, since they are owned by Gucci Group.

Miss Deanna makes some shirts and things for Neil barrett and Martin Margiela.

John

The non-artisinal Margiela stuff is manufactured by Staff International (owned by Diesel)....I don't this Miss Deanna does any production for them anymore ...:unsure:

faust said:
Kit would've been so helpful here. He had an amazing knowledge base :cry:
:cry: that got me all emotional faust :(

annakarina, merge if/when you have the time, thanks

droogist said:
The non-artisinal Margiela stuff is manufactured by Staff International (owned by Diesel)....I don't this Miss Deanna does any production for them anymore ...:unsure:

love their sample sales :woot: ^_^ .

Then I guess they also do (or used to do, now that I hear they are moving production to China) DSquared2?

^ no reason for apologies, kit is such a good memory

thanks for clearing that up droogist :flower:

faust said:
love their sample sales :woot: ^_^ .

Then I guess they also do (or used to do, now that I hear they are moving production to China) DSquared2?
Yes, Staff does DSquared, and Vivienne Westwood also.

Are DSquared2 really moving their production to China, or was that a faustian jab? :D

And you're welcome, Meg :flower:

droogist said:
Yes, Staff does DSquared, and Vivienne Westwood also.

Are DSquared2 really moving their production to China, or was that a faustian jab? :D

And you're welcome, Meg :flower:

:lol: No, I thought I heard it around here somewhere.

chanel makes their own, do they not? just curious :smile:

didn't know that other companies did marc jacobs, gucci shoes, etc. i'm so ignorant of fashion sometimes :smile:

DSquared2 in China? I hope the Catens get lost there or cross the border to North Korea...For Westwood Staff only does the Red Label and menswear. Aeffe also produces the new London brands Sinha-Stanic and Basso&Brooks plus Narciso Rodriguez and some Moschino lines. Premiata makes the accessories and shoes for Carol Christian Poell or at least they used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any houses that do inhouse production?

This is a sort of stupid question(s) but am curious:
so if a design house needs their garments to be made, do they give all the patterns, materials, and instructions on what sort of stitch they want to the manufacturers?

If two brands are made within the same factory, can the quality of the actual manufacturing be different?

Are there some manufacturers that are reknowned to be better than others?

Yeah i think they do. I've got a friend that did fashion in antwerp and i once asked her 'so who makes those shoes for the fashion shows you give at school?' She told me that there is a representative from the company (of which she did not mention the name) that makes gucci shoes and stuff, and she comes all the way from italy to antwerp and discusses personally with every student what they want and she takes notes of it. Isn't that unbelievable? So i guess that's also what happens on the fashion houses, they sit together with the manufacturers and discuss what they want and how they want it.

I think companies such as itteriere have made their name into fashion cos of there reliability and relatively good quality... If you order clothes in china you have to order 20% extra because lots of things are junk. Prints that are done only half, sleeves that are only half stitched... Also something i learned from that friend.

Designer glasses from the huge houses (gucci group, dior..) are made by safilo, which is also italian.

ciao

Meg said:
Are there any houses that do inhouse production?

This is a sort of stupid question(s) but am curious:
so if a design house needs their garments to be made, do they give all the patterns, materials, and instructions on what sort of stitch they want to the manufacturers?

If two brands are made within the same factory, can the quality of the actual manufacturing be different?

Are there some manufacturers that are reknowned to be better than others?

^^ A lot of houses do have their own production division, either built up over time, or acquired (through the purchase of factories). I just found this Time Magazine article on the subject which explains things better than I can:
The Hip Factories
By Lauren Goldstein

If there is a mantra of modern fashion, it isn't "create" or "invent" or "advance." It's "control." Control the look of your stores, your offices, your packaging, your parties. Control every aspect of the brand that a consumer can see. But there's another realm luxury-goods companies seek to master: production. Control the manufacturing and you control how fast your products get to the stores (the earlier they arrive the more time they have to sell). Control production and you control quality. The benefits seem obvious, the alternative impossible. ("What do you mean, Calvin Klein doesn't make his own underwear?") But the desire to own and operate factories — for clothing, for leather goods, for shoes — is a relatively new one. Hermès, Louis Vuitton, Gucci were founded by families who made the things — luggage, bags, saddles — they sold. The first designer clothing was haute couture, made to individual customer specifications by seamstresses employed by the creator. Those designs were sold to and copied by mass merchants, who reproduced them in local factories and sold them under the names of their own stores. As ready-to-wear designer labels began to emerge in the 1970s, the easy choice for a designer was to sign a licensing agreement with a manufacturer. Who wants the bother of running a factory and employing all those workers when it's so much simpler to sit in an atelier and sketch?

The designer would design, the manufacturer would manufacture. It was a great system in theory, but cracks soon began to show. Some designers signed licensing agreements and focused their attention elsewhere, allowing licensees to design products as they saw fit, diluting the brand image. Some manufacturers signed agreements and then produced cheap products that they sold to second-rate stores, diluting the brand exclusivity. Witness Calvin Klein's 2000 lawsuit against Warnaco, the company that makes the jeans and underwear that bear his name. Companies began to sign licensing deals for everything from chocolates and whiskeys to pencils and playing cards, negating the very nature of a luxury fashion brand. Pierre Cardin is the reigning master, with nearly 1,000 licenses to his name. There was an upside, of course. And the upside was money. The licenses generated huge amounts of cash that would be hard to replace.

It wasn't long before things began to go horribly wrong. Brand names began to suffer. Designers lost prestige. Consumers lost interest. So, in 1987 when Gucci embarked on its legendary turnaround, priority No.1 was buying back the licenses. "At some point the unity had disappeared," said Domenico De Sole, Gucci's CEO. "Someone was designing shoes, someone else was designing lighters." Priority No.2 was making sure the products Gucci did sell were of the best quality. When De Sole became ceo, his initial task was to pay personal visits to his top suppliers — some 300 of them — to reassure them about the company's future. Between 1994 and 1998, Gucci's production of leather goods increased 277%. Since further growth wouldn't be possible using the existing suppliers, Gucci began looking for new ones. But it wasn't alone. Prada was also on the prowl for new factories. So was Giorgio Armani. And more. For luxury goods, Asia isn't an option. The brands needed the quality that only Italian factories can provide. Before long the solution became clear — the brands must buy or build factories themselves. What followed was a spate of acquisitions of little-known Italian companies like Calzaturificio Regain, Zamasport and Genny in order to convert them to big-brand manufacturing. The established designers also drew up plans for new plants. All this made new designers uneasy.

Where could they have their products made if all the factories were turning into single-brand producers? For a lucky few, the answer came in the form of Franco Pene, the ceo of Gibo. The firm acts as the manufacturing and distribution wings for emerging fashion companies, not only making the clothes but selling, shipping and invoicing them. "We take care of the new designers that none of our competitors were interested in," says Pene. So far so good — contracts with Gibo helped launch the careers of Helmut Lang, Alexander McQueen and Hussein Chalayan. The security a factory provides is an advantage that's hard to underestimate, as Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana can attest. When they started, Dolce's father had a manufacturing plant that turned out their early collections. Now they own that plant and several others, and they are looking at producing for other designers too. "Now the factories don't give new people time to grow," says Dolce. "I'm not a genius. I wasn't born a genius. You need time." And a factory.
time.com

According to business.com Ittierre owns Malo, Exte, Try, Romeo Gigli, Gentryportofino but also has licence agreements with Gianfranco Ferre Sport, D&G, Versus, Versace Jeans, Just Cavalli and Anna Sui (some of which Faust mentioned).

Great great article, thanks. I quite like the idea of designers taking factories back over...despise licensing and the idea that because something is of a certain brand name is it of a certain quality. Thanks for all the info

^Gladly done

Thought of another one: Gysemans in Belgium produces Veronique Branquinho, Raf Simons, Bernhard Willhelm, and a lot of other smaller labels.

tuomas said:
DSquared2 in China? I hope the Catens get lost there or cross the border to North Korea...For Westwood Staff only does the Red Label and menswear. Aeffe also produces the new London brands Sinha-Stanic and Basso&Brooks plus Narciso Rodriguez and some Moschino lines. Premiata makes the accessories and shoes for Carol Christian Poell or at least they used to.

mariella burani do Westwood's anglomania and all the accessories

i just wonder who produces the CDG brands & yamamoto certainly have their work cut out every season :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->