So what Happens to those Haute Couture Creations?

She is interesting. I probably shouldn't even be talking about her as I know that couture buyers are pretty secretive!

I don't really know all that much about her. I didn't know who she was and chatted with her at a fashion show. After that I heard a rumor that she was buying couture so when I saw her again I asked her. She was really pleased that I was interested. I get the feeling that most people she knows do not care. I'm sure most people would never guess. She dresses like a semi-fashionable Mom. No obvious designer shoes or handbags, very low-key.

eternitygoddess, I don't know who her favorite designer is, but she did tell me that she was looking for vintage Balenciaga. We once had a cute discussion about how annoyed we were about designers who call themselves "couture" when they are not official members of the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture!

Dkammern, she lives in my city but not my neighborhood. Because then I would live in a massive house and would visit her clothes every day! :lol:

Haute Couture is an art form...it goes into lots of editorials, on red carpets, archives, and in the closets of the rich and/or famous...

If she dresses rather low-key despite having an apparently fabulous wardrobe, maybe she's going to donate all her couture to a museum someday.

If she dresses rather low-key despite having an apparently fabulous wardrobe, maybe she's going to donate all her couture to a museum someday.

I think that is her plan. I think she just sees it as part of her art collection since she also puts it on display. I don't think she has that much as she only started buying a few years ago.

All this conversation makes me realize that I need to find her and just boldly ask if I can see her collection. ^_^

^^ you've got all of our support!!! :flower:

(if you take pictures and post them, that is... -_-)

I was just wondering. It is a known fact that most of the pieces in the couture shows do not get sold. Financially speaking, couture shows do not bring any profits, whatsoever. They do, of course, keep the magic alive and the show running.

We know they don´t end up in consignment shops. I also am pretty certain they´re not given away as gifts, since even celebrities have to "borrow" them, and socialites often "rent" them.

So does anyone know what happens to all the gradiose dresses, suits etc?

Um...quite a few are auctioned off e.g. the Lanvin for H&M Haute Couture Collection. Even the original sketches are auctioned off. ^_^

http://www.lanvinforhm.com/

Trashed

Staying on subject, I would like to know how it is that fashion shoots often absolutely destroy a couture piece for an editorial ... for example, Kristen McMenamy rolling around in black oil and water for Vogue Italia (August 2010). They surely can't sell a dress that's been used like that...:blush:

I know at least one of each piece of a collection stays with the house and often goes into their archives and then perhaps appears in a retrospective.

But jumping into a chlorinated pool in a hand painted silk Valentino or dragging the fishtail of a DIOR across a dirty road really makes me wonder how they afford these "throw-aways"!:blink:

Attachments

• vogue2.jpg
    vogue2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 20
  • vogue6.jpg
    vogue6.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 21
^^ interesting question! I have no clue on how it works and I'd love to know too.

My only guess is not every magazine can 'afford' to do it, and probably not with any dress they want (maybe just those that have not sold, some that were somehow damaged during the show perhaps...)

Also I am thinking the mud-exposure is more 'limited' than it looks in the picture. So the model is probably not rolling on the floor... dont know! :P I have no argument for the chlorinated pool :lol:

re: Trashed

Thank you Dkammern! I was starting to think I was the only one who thought this was an unusual practice...^_^
And just today, Mirik (thank you, Mirik!) posted yet another gown going down the drain!
You just can't put a $20,000. embroidered silk Cavalli couture gown under running water and then take it back. "Oh, sorry. It got a little wet.":blush:

It makes me think that when something leaves the atelier the designer just kisses it goodbye.
There are so many examples of this practice and it does make for GREAT shoots but ..... then what?
It must factor into the retail price of a couture gown. Charge more to cover the one that "got away".

I guess it frustrates me because if they're going to trash it ... Give it to me!!! LOL!:wink:

Photo posted by Mirik via ebook.com

Attachments

• cavalli.jpg
    cavalli.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 32
This is a very interesting thread, I don't believe I've ever seen Haute Couture
in Holt Renfrew, is it something that people have to order special through the designers ? I imagine its only people in the middle east, like Dubai or people who are billionaires that can afford to buy it. I've heard that a lot of celebrities get their red carpet couture gowns loaned to them for events like the Oscars but I don't know if any of the celebs actually own these couture dresses.

^ It really depends. Celebrities and high profile personalities are often loaned or even just given Haute Couture pieces to wear. But everyday millionaires and billionaires :smile:lol:smile: have to go through the atelier and pay for them.

It makes me nervous think that those exquisite and expensive pieces are wore by millionaire women but they cand just wear it once

Staying on subject, I would like to know how it is that fashion shoots often absolutely destroy a couture piece for an editorial ... for example, Kristen McMenamy rolling around in black oil and water for Vogue Italia (August 2010). They surely can't sell a dress that's been used like that...:blush:

I know at least one of each piece of a collection stays with the house and often goes into their archives and then perhaps appears in a retrospective.

But jumping into a chlorinated pool in a hand painted silk Valentino or dragging the fishtail of a DIOR across a dirty road really makes me wonder how they afford these "throw-aways"!:blink:

I assume Vogue needs to buy pieces especially the one they are going to potentially destroy. Once they buy it, they own it and they can do whatever they want. If dipping the dress into the dirt will tell the story, make it more interesting, and finally and most importantly sell the magazine - then maybe it's worthy ruining it. I am trying to look from the editorial & not designer point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to see what the outlandish couture pieces (like Dior under John Galliano) become once a client actually purchases it. I know from that documentary on the Secret World of Haute Couture that what you see is not what you get, and these clothes are highly modified for everyday wear. but some of Galliano's pieces are so out there you'd essentially have to re-do the whole outfit just to make it work.

Thank you Dkammern! I was starting to think I was the only one who thought this was an unusual practice...^_^
And just today, Mirik (thank you, Mirik!) posted yet another gown going down the drain!
You just can't put a $20,000. embroidered silk Cavalli couture gown under running water and then take it back. "Oh, sorry. It got a little wet.":blush:

It makes me think that when something leaves the atelier the designer just kisses it goodbye.
There are so many examples of this practice and it does make for GREAT shoots but ..... then what?
It must factor into the retail price of a couture gown. Charge more to cover the one that "got away".

I guess it frustrates me because if they're going to trash it ... Give it to me!!! LOL!:wink:

Where did you find that this Cavalli dress is $20,000? I just looked it online and his price point for gowns are $4,000 average, but I can't find this dress on the photo; I found similar that is $3,120. Cavalli might let the magazine borrow it for the publicity - especially knowing that the brand has been lost for some time. Also, it might be a sample.

http://store.robertocavalli.com/nav.../65/c/483/season/main/page/2/cod10/34202870AP

A wet dress in not destroyed, just
give it a bit of sun and it will become fine
it is just water no fire!:lol:

I don't think that the magazines pay for the samples ... even if the ruin them. Samples are made for the specfic purpose of being used by the press and by celebrities while they are in the public eye .... and it's just the cost of publicity.

I've pulled samples that were missing buttons, hooks, beading, etc. and were very dirty on the bottom or had rips in them ... so I know that they do get used repeatedly and eventually sucumb, anyway.

I would guess that the magazines (the stylist/fashion editor) would most likely telll them that they intened to destroy it and ask for samples that have reached the end of their effective life. A small cost to the designer ... if it's going to be featured in Vogue ......

^ so it makes me think that they stole the expensive couture buttons and beads to adapt them to his cheap favourite jeans?

^ so it makes me think that they stole the expensive couture buttons and beads to adapt them to his cheap favourite jeans?

hehe! good idea! i could to wonders with some Desrues (aka Chanel's suppliers for Haute Couture buttons)!

A wet dress in not destroyed, just
give it a bit of sun and it will become fine
it is just water no fire!:lol:

well well, I'll make sure you dont get anywhere near my hand painted silk squares, just in case you decided to expose them to destructive WATER... :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->