Haute Couture: Is it on its last legs?

i know Dior will die because miss caroline doesn't like it

^Word. Haute Couture was never meant for the common people to see. But thank God for the Internet.

I don't think Haute Couture will die, I'm sure there will be a few designers who will continue this art.....though they might not be known or listed under the Syndical Chamber of Haute Couture but they practice it and will continue to produce it as long as their creative minds will allow them to.

Missoni~Heiress said:
I seriously doubt it would die because they would still make custom made haute couture for clients

correct.. pulling out the couture fashion shows doesnt mean 'the death of couture', just the death of the expensive extravangaza

make no mistake, couture will always have its clients, those who can afford it, love being dressed to measure be it in Paris or by their 'local' couture designer

this is what couture is all about not the crazy, gimmick show circus :wink:

The French Couture institute or however its called I remember that they soften a bit the rules in order to show in couture week (I recall fewer pieces).

It may not have the historic importance that it use to have when the couturiers used to SET the trends -street does it now- but still is valid and there ARE customers who pay for couture season after season

I really think haute couture is in ultimate luxury and thats why it will never die because there will always be royalty, stars and socialites and people willing to pay for the dream.

i don't think haute couture will die. above all it symbolises the ultimate extravagance and luxury of fashion... what i mean is, haute couture is in a way like the mega expensive flagship store which doesn't make enough money to justify its expensive design - it exists to exemplify the luxury, glamour and wealth of a fashion house.

also in our consumerist culture, there is always a more expensive alternative... if not, then what do u aspire to if you can normally afford pret-a-porter from the major fashion houses?

it would be a sad day for fashion when the last haute couture atelier is closed down.

Lena said:
correct.. pulling out the couture fashion shows doesnt mean 'the death of couture', just the death of the expensive extravangaza

make no mistake, couture will always have its clients, those who can afford it, love being dressed to measure be it in Paris or by their 'local' couture designer

this is what couture is all about not the crazy, gimmick show circus :wink:

THANK YOU!!! :heart:

some pieces are rather circus like and most likely wont sell =therefore they die, but i think the pieces that are wearable e.g. the clients that have the money and the occasion to pull them off, will keep buying it. so in this way, maybe the haute couture will come more close to the main lines, making it more wearable but keeping it detailed and special that it can only be worn in special occations and on special people. :smile:

I think the whole point of haute couture is that-

regardless of what is shown on the runway, each customer can speak personally with the designer and have their individual piece custom designed according not only to their measurements, but also thier wants, preferences, ect.- it is not only custom fitted, but also custom designed.- add a sleeve here, remove a bow there- whatever the client wants. Thats part of the reason why It would be such a dream (at least for me) to own/ wear a piece of haute couture

so the runway can be a starting place, rather than a defenite, concrete example of the clothing to be sold.

stilettogirl84 said:
I think the whole point of haute couture is that-

regardless of what is shown on the runway, each customer can speak personally with the designer and have their individual piece custom designed according not only to their measurements, but also thier wants, preferences, ect.- it is not only custom fitted, but also custom designed.- add a sleeve here, remove a bow there- whatever the client wants. Thats part of the reason why It would be such a dream (at least for me) to own/ wear a piece of haute couture

so the runway can be a starting place, rather than a defenite, concrete example of the clothing to be sold.

i agree.. but i also understand that if they sell only few pieces a year, its not really gaining profit like the main lines are. its a tough question here.

Producing unwearble collections doesn't mean you don't sell.
a mad house like dior as you know show extravagant collections and yet their sales are increasing, it's because couture shows prove that how capable a house is..others that closed down a few years ago produced absolutely wearable clothes yet they doomed.

what you see on runway does not mean you have only these choices, whenever you buy a couture, you can have a new design sketch which is totally different from runway pics

wikipedia says" In fact, much of the haute couture displayed at fashion shows today is never sold; it is created to enhance the good name of the house. "

Sometimes designers go over the top in haute couture putting on a show... they dont make their piece to sell because even when someone has chosen a dress it will be still hand made for the clients measurements..

they're not meant to hit the streets. I think anyways.
they should be sold as an art piece and the good ones in galleries.
do they really need to increase their profits? as if they're not making
enough

haute couture is art.
sophistication.
richness.
Quality.
it's intimate.
one of a kind.
the product of love,time,work,creativity.

it shouldn't die.
seeing a haute couture fashion show is like going to an art gallery to see a picasso,or going to the symphony and hearing the concertos and musiQ of tchaikovsky...

it shouldn't die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->