Stacey Mark - Photographer

Angie C

Reaction score
Photographer and photo editor at NYLON, and one of my favs... The girls in her pics always look so confident and cute/steamin hot without that ugly "voyeur" aftertaste. So hard to pull of, but she does it so well.

She has a really nice homepage too: www.staceymark.com

//Born in Philadelfia 1976. Lives and works in New York City.

Stacey Mark Photo Director at Nylon

Stacey Mark started her career in college when she was hired by the fashion photographer Steven Klein. She worked for 3 years at the fashion Photo agency Michele Filimeno, which led to a position as associate photo editor at Talk Magazine. She is the photo editor at NYLON, coordinating the magazine's fashion and cover shoots.//

nylonmag.com
//

all pics below from aya.kanai.net (the stylist she oftens work with)

Last edited by a moderator:
an interview...
mkgallery.net

Attachments

• staceyinterview.jpg
    staceyinterview.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 18
thank for bringing this in, angie! :heart:

hmm, i dont really think I have a formed opinion on this, i love her sense of color..and i appreciate her intentions with lighting. judging from her work, it seems to me she likes things done fast and easy, and I only wish it would get more complicated. I understand about the light environment she wants to create and the appeal her photographs are supposed to have, but...well, for many reasons, i think there's something lacking...in terms of quality.
I'm not making enough sense tonight. :lol:

I hope Taylor sees this thread, maybe she'd like to share a couple of tales with us...:innocent:

Taylor, is she here :woot:? I'd love to hear some behind the scene info! I am mostly just speculating from the little info I've found on her.

I think I know what you are saying about the lacking in quality... she has apparantly only been doing this for a couple of years. But I also got the feeling she kind of have entered this profession from a different point of view.

I love her own description how she "became" a photographer.

//I found myself standing in front of of a woman (Asia Argento) that had been shot a million times. Here I was in another country with my polaroid camera, no lights, no makeup, no clue, and we just looked at each other. She saw me as a photographer and through her eyes I became one"//

I think what separates her from fellow snapshot-ers in that you can tell that she actually feels for her subject and that translates into the pictures. This creating of a comfort zone. Many times when people are to be portraited in a "private" moment it tend to become so theatrical. For me it is that sensibility that makes her stand out. And scarely enough I cannot think of many fashion photographers that portrait young women as neither "innocent" nor "strong powerful" amazons.

A good thing is also that she's very productive... I'll search my magazine pile for some more recent stuff^_^

Many times when people are to be portraited in a "private" moment it tend to become so theatrical.

that's very true. and I'm definitely fond of her appreciation for youth and the light years fiber that they have. The concept of her photographs is probably one of my favorites, I think the issue here is not the nature but the execution of her work, in the lense...I dont expect depth in youth but I do prefer a deep look at shallow youth rather than a shallow look at an already shallow youth. does that make sense?! i think not! :rofl: .
I hope somebody comes and has a more articulated idea of what I'm trying to say. :lol:

Hmm I'm not quite following:wacko: ... but if I get you right I would not completely disagree that her work does not really have that special allure and magic of the big masters... but I like her more in the "this feels so at home" than the "this is so amazing" way... I have other favourites for Le deep look at shallow youth:D

Some more scans:

Portraits from us nylon aug -06
(Lili Taylor and Isild Le Besco)

Lula Magazine # 2
(Helen Feskens:heart:)

(ok this maybe is "the innocent young girl" but in a good way :innocent: )

(all above: my scans)

sorry i didnt make any sense this morning- or ever for the whole matter. :P

i love the flowers in the last post. :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"