Study Tips/Techniques

• Thread starter Deleted member 36123
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36123

I thought it would be interesting to start a thead of the different ways people study.

I'll be taking some really tough advanced science & medical science subjects this semester at university and I'm going to make up flash cards after each lecture that I can use to test myself on the bus ride home/before exams.

It would be really great to know other ways people find helpful in studying OR if you know a way to make study fun! :lol::huh:

I study with flashcards, and I have grown sort of dependent on them :shock:

Let me just tell you they are very time consuming to make, but they are helpful though :flower:

The only fun way I can think of studying.. is studying with a group of friends, but make sure you actually get work done B)

^ I TOTALLY know what you mean by time consuming :lol: I was thinking of buying some of the pre-made ones you can get from most book stores but my only concern is that they probably cover topics that may not be relevant to my courses.

Studying with friends is fun hey!

What are you studying?

^ I TOTALLY know what you mean by time consuming :lol: I was thinking of buying some of the pre-made ones you can get from most book stores but my only concern is that they probably cover topics that may not be relevant to my courses.

Studying with friends is fun hey!

What are you studying?

Hmmm, well when I was taking anatomy they sold those pre-made cards, but I think the main benefit from making cards (at least for me..) is actually making them and having to write them down. I think its best when you read the notes and phrase/edit the content to make it your own and transcribe that onto the cards.

I am currently in pharmacy school, its just overwhelming amount of info sometimes and I just think it helps me (mentally mostly.. lol) to have them on notecards, gives me a sense of structure. My friends think I am looney :lol:

^ Yeah I think you are probably right about just making your own. That way I guess at least you know you are covering all of the lecture content!

I'm taking pharmacy this semester! They sell pre-made cards for pharm. but I'm not sure about them. I'm also taking physiology, advanced nutrition & molecular biology.

I'm sure my friends will think I'm looney too :lol:

I'm not exactly sure what flash cards are, but I agree about making them yourself. I've had teachers that have said that the best way to study for an exam is to try and make a really good cheat sheet, the point being that if you understand the subject well enough to fit everything important onto a small piece of paper, you understand it well enough to pass the exam. :smile:

Of course I should be studying right now, but instead I'm on TFS. So, no, I don't really have any good techniques to share. :wink:

I'm majoring in Finance (Commerce) and Art History and English (Liberal Arts) in my degrees but I have similarish ways of studying for them.

Firstly, I write up a list of the main topics in each subject - it's easier to do this than by Week 1, Week 2, etc, as some topics overlap. I use this as a guideline/framework so I don't get 'lost'. Then, I condense lecture/tute/etc notes with textbook notes. Then I try to condense it down and down till the notes get less, and more concise, basically until I have as much information as I can on a piece of paper, with only the key points.

With Finance I have to do lots of practice questions, with my Arts subjects I need to do lots of reading.

If I don't have enough time to do all of this, I just cram the night before :/ Bad I know.

I try to connect what I really like, or what I'm interested in,
with what I'm studying.

Like when I was studying French
I would often write or speak about textiles/fashion (my er major)
or things that mattered a lot to me,
and it made me want to really memorize the words I needed to express my ideas.

I'm not exactly sure what flash cards are, but I agree about making them yourself. I've had teachers that have said that the best way to study for an exam is to try and make a really good cheat sheet, the point being that if you understand the subject well enough to fit everything important onto a small piece of paper, you understand it well enough to pass the exam. :smile:

Of course I should be studying right now, but instead I'm on TFS. So, no, I don't really have any good techniques to share. :wink:

Flash cards are just small cardboard rectangles that you right questions or points on one side and the answer on the other. It works just like your cheat sheet idea! :flower:

Firstly, I write up a list of the main topics in each subject - it's easier to do this than by Week 1, Week 2, etc, as some topics overlap. I use this as a guideline/framework so I don't get 'lost'. Then, I condense lecture/tute/etc notes with textbook notes. Then I try to condense it down and down till the notes get less, and more concise, basically until I have as much information as I can on a piece of paper, with only the key points.

I write lists of topics too! I TOTALLY know what you mean about getting lost :lol::doh:it's so easy to get sidetracked when you have too much information to cover!

I like your idea of condensing your notes down. I should try to do that more because I find sometimes I end up with so many pages and I just find it so overwhelming & it's not like I can remember that much info anyway! :lol:

I try to connect what I really like, or what I'm interested in,
with what I'm studying.

Like when I was studying French
I would often write or speak about textiles/fashion (my er major)
or things that mattered a lot to me,
and it made me want to really memorize the words I needed to express my ideas.

That's a really good idea. I wish I could do that more. I think I get distracted too easily sometimes :lol::doh:

I clarify whats important from my notes and write it neatly on a piece of paper (I make sure I'm reading wha I'm writing, because it helps me remember) and continously read aloud until I have it down in my head. It's the only way that has really helped me!

^ That used to really work for me too! I've been having trouble reducing my notes lately so hopefully using the flash cards will really help me to identify the key points :smile:

I just wanted to give a good advise (well to me) for people who do researchs ...
I used to think that making photocopies when I thought I hadn't time to read the book or take notes was usefull ... but NO it is NOT !! Because once you think you have read it all (because your brain is soo messed up) well you find photocopies you hadn't read yet OR forget what you underlined in your photocopies (especially, if like me, you are not well organized) ...

So whenever you have to do researchs (a lot of ...), use a concentrate but quick reading (read first and last sentences of each paragraphs, then try to catch within the paragraph the main 'word', 'expression' etc. that interest you ... only read the chapters that interest you ... don't loose time with other things ... LOOK at the SUMMARY AND INDEX ... it's not there to make the book look beautiful !!!)

While you're taking notes, and that you are already further in your researchs (ie you already have a scheme for your plan of dissertation), put numbers/letters of your plan next to the quote, idea etc. you think it would fit in ...

Don't forget to write down at top of your EACH paper sheet (whatever you're using) ALL the references of the book (especially if you think you'll use this for a quote) and a chronological number (ex : at top of your paper sheet should be found Author/Title/Notes I, Notes II, Notes III etc.)
- Author, Title, Edition etc. AND the number of the page where the quote comes from !

Then organize all those notes by theme (and if you are a psycho, organize them the way you organized your bibliography) ...

Whenever you reach a complicated paragraph (and this could help also for whatever you think is just important as an author's main idea and you think you won't quote) :
read the text carefully (several times if needed ... i happen to read some Baudrillard, Deleuze&Cie. like ten times .... ouch !) and then reformulate it, for yourself, to your own sauce ! This would make it easier when you'll read times after ...

To go back what I said at the beginnings : photocopies ... Of course, you can make photocopies for small texts (from 1 to 10p.) or very important texts ...
or the whole book (still it needs to be one major book of your bibliography) that you'll then make 'bind' ...

All this was for books you don't own and need to give back to libraries ...
When it's your own books, never hesitate to take notes, too or just write your thoughts next to the paragraph ...

Always carry a notebook with you for whenever an idea cross your mind ... Even if you consider it stupid later ... You never know ...

Another tip ... When you're having an itw ... Don't be shy (without being too friendly ... especially if it's someone very important in your industry), record the itw AND take note too !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
All I do is listen to Yanni. I need to hear something in the background, so I put on some modern piano. ^_^

I have been studying with flash cards since high school. They really just help me retain information. Also, re-writing my notes also helps me study. When I read books, I always underline and mark passages I think are important -- it always helps me write papers or participate in class discussion because I can reference to that certain quote or section.

I have an exam in a few hours. and I'm pulling an all nighter... :(
*I'm queen of procrastination*
I usually summarize every chapter and print it out.
I break everything down to pinpoints to remember them.
Have background music. And I tend to use lots of colors, if you have a visual memory, it helps!
Reading out loud helps too :D

I've discovered, much to my dismay, that a group study can turn out to be inefficient. Especially when you're studying w/ your friends and you spend more time goofing around and joking instead of actually exchanging information. :rolleyes: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->